The Student Room Group

Looking for a cambridge college match

Hi I'm thinking of applying to Jesus college but just realised sports is a great thing there and I don't do sports. Can anyone help me pick a college that:
- feels not too formal, more relaxed
- not in touristy city centre
- has nice ensuite and kitchen hobs, ovens
- has bands/orchestras that anyone can join

Thanks a lot! I'll be applying to Natsci biology stream
I think the ensuite/kitchen hobs/ovens criteria will rule out a lot off the bat. So probably start with that! I don't know which colleges have those facilities.

I gather Girton is less formal, definitely not tourist central, and has a lot of amenities other colleges don't (a heated pool I believe, among others), which may extend to the music scene. So maybe consider that one :wink:

Also just because sports are popular in the college doesn't mean you HAVE to do sports :smile: If you like the college otherwise and that's the only "issue" I'd say go for that one then!

Finally, bear in mind most years there is a 20-33% chance you could get pooled to another college anyway. So there's always a reasonable chance you'll end up at a completely different college regardless!
(edited 1 year ago)
Ovens as a requirement (in first year, at least) severely limits your options. The overwhelming majority of colleges don't offer ovens to first years. Certainly, the old central colleges won't tend to (although some might allow air fryers, which are ovens). I know Lucy Cavendish does for almost all first years, and I think Downing does. Girton might but I'm not certain. You'd have to check individual websites here, I'm afraid.

Many colleges will have bands/orchestras (usually you will have to audition or something), but even if yours doesn't it's possible to join other colleges'.

I wouldn't worry about being in the city centre, once you're in college the tourists go away (except at King's), and most colleges are in the city centre so you'd be removing quite a few options.

Lots of colleges will offer ensuites (it's student accommodation so I wouldn't get your hopes up about them being nice :tongue:) but they're often hard to get because they're given to students who need them. Again check individual websites.

Most colleges at this point do not feel very formal at all. The two most notorious for informality are King's and Churchill, but I don't imagine any of the colleges feel too formal (though it depends on what you count as formal).

Also, as @artful_lounger said, I wouldn't worry if your college cares about sports. You don't have to take part in them.
Original post by Bookworm524
Hi I'm thinking of applying to Jesus college but just realised sports is a great thing there and I don't do sports. Can anyone help me pick a college that:
- feels not too formal, more relaxed
- not in touristy city centre
- has nice ensuite and kitchen hobs, ovens
- has bands/orchestras that anyone can join

Thanks a lot! I'll be applying to Natsci biology stream

Heya!
I would recommend using the Oxbridge comparison tool to help you with making a decision about what college to choose. The tool puts the colleges side by side and goes over them in a lot of detail :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind
Original post by artful_lounger
I think the ensuite/kitchen hobs/ovens criteria will rule out a lot off the bat. So probably start with that! I don't know which colleges have those facilities.

I gather Girton is less formal, definitely not tourist central, and has a lot of amenities other colleges don't (a heated pool I believe, among others), which may extend to the music scene. So maybe consider that one :wink:

Also just because sports are popular in the college doesn't mean you HAVE to do sports :smile: If you like the college otherwise and that's the only "issue" I'd say go for that one then!

Finally, bear in mind most years there is a 20-33% chance you could get pooled to another college anyway. So there's always a reasonable chance you'll end up at a completely different college regardless!

Original post by Theloniouss
Ovens as a requirement (in first year, at least) severely limits your options. The overwhelming majority of colleges don't offer ovens to first years. Certainly, the old central colleges won't tend to (although some might allow air fryers, which are ovens). I know Lucy Cavendish does for almost all first years, and I think Downing does. Girton might but I'm not certain. You'd have to check individual websites here, I'm afraid.

Many colleges will have bands/orchestras (usually you will have to audition or something), but even if yours doesn't it's possible to join other colleges'.

I wouldn't worry about being in the city centre, once you're in college the tourists go away (except at King's), and most colleges are in the city centre so you'd be removing quite a few options.

Lots of colleges will offer ensuites (it's student accommodation so I wouldn't get your hopes up about them being nice :tongue:) but they're often hard to get because they're given to students who need them. Again check individual websites.

Most colleges at this point do not feel very formal at all. The two most notorious for informality are King's and Churchill, but I don't imagine any of the colleges feel too formal (though it depends on what you count as formal).

Also, as @artful_lounger said, I wouldn't worry if your college cares about sports. You don't have to take part in them.

Original post by OxbridgeMind
Heya!
I would recommend using the Oxbridge comparison tool to help you with making a decision about what college to choose. The tool puts the colleges side by side and goes over them in a lot of detail :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind

Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest