The Student Room Group

Where to apply with a poor UCAT score

Hi - I have a bad UCAT score of 2550 - a bad day :frown:I have 10x9's at GCSE and am predicted 3 A*'s at A level- Bio, Chem and Psych. I have some work experience that is medicine related as well as volunteering, coaching, mentoring, caring etc and play sport (hockey/cricket) to a high level. Am I right in thinking the only med schools I can consider with this score are HYMS, Kent and Medway, Keele, Sunderland and Plymouth?? Is Cardiff worth a shot? and what about UEA - worth an application? and I read that Exeter only place 25% weighting on UCAT - but I find this very hard to believe? Thanks in advance @ganfydd and any others that reply - very grateful as wondering if best to take a year off ....thanks all
BMAT unis and any that put less weighting on the UCAT for scoring your application. GCSE heavy unis which put less emphasis on the UCAT would probably be a good option because you have very strong GCSEs. Likewise GCSE heavy unis using the BMAT (e.g. Oxford) would potentially be a good option.
Reply 2
Original post by vkl
Hi - I have a bad UCAT score of 2550 - a bad day :frown:I have 10x9's at GCSE and am predicted 3 A*'s at A level- Bio, Chem and Psych. I have some work experience that is medicine related as well as volunteering, coaching, mentoring, caring etc and play sport (hockey/cricket) to a high level. Am I right in thinking the only med schools I can consider with this score are HYMS, Kent and Medway, Keele, Sunderland and Plymouth?? Is Cardiff worth a shot? and what about UEA - worth an application? and I read that Exeter only place 25% weighting on UCAT - but I find this very hard to believe? Thanks in advance @ganfydd and any others that reply - very grateful as wondering if best to take a year off ....thanks all

Keele normally have a lower UCAT cut off but you have to fill out an R&R form
KMMS does again have a lower cut off score but you would have to look into their selection for interview.
(Although both have "low" ucat cut off its never guaranteed a certain score is over them, it would be good to check your chances based on cut off scores for previous years; which will likely increase again)
You would have to score yourself for HYMS, you can find the rough cut off on last years thread
I have seen on the TSR Sunderland is changing their admissions process this year so no r&r form, maybe clarify with Sunderland how it will be done this year before applying.
Exeter recently has needed 3A*s for entry, which you have, and last year (2022) entry it needed a ucat of 2790+ so probably not advisable.
Plymouth would be risky in my opinion last year cut off was 2610 I believe.
For Cardiff it depends, Welsh applicants are normally do a lot better

I would also consider QUB as they put less emphasis on the ucat. Calculate your admissions score from their website. QUB had a cut of score of 37 last year; again likely to increase though but definitely worth considering due to your excellent GCSEs :smile:

As said above consider the BMAT, registration ends fairly soon
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest