Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    I, like his girlfriend, had to make a point.
    :eyeball:

A guy tells his girlfriend's story in order to answer the OP, and you randomly pounce upon it, deliver your unasked for judgement about a major life decision she makes, arbitrarily reading a negative motivation into it for absolutely no reason, and without anybody asking your opinion about it. And then, after several posts of several people patiently suggesting that attacking someone's choice in such a way might be a bit unreasonable you get increasingly insulting and come up with the above? :wtf?:

moreiniho demonstrated practically supernatural levels of patience in this thread! (and I have read every post, just before anybody comments)

(Original post by oldrafiki)
    It's hard to have an opinion or judgement about a personal choice made by somebody whom you only know indirectly and even then only through a few posts on an internet forum, without making gross and very possibly fallacious assumptions, which in my view are far from interesting.
    :ditto:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    Her getting an offer that she could have found out much earlier that doesn't actually want, means hundreds of other worthy applicants were cheated out of her offer. If someone can't even research properly to find out about the workload and doesn't want to do a medicine course that's heavily science based (!) it begs the question whether they deserve to get any offers at all.
    That's not the case at all. Her reasons were entirely understandable - medicine is bloody hard to get into, and she had every right maximising her chances of getting in somewhere as she did. She wasn't cheating anybody, as her place would simply have been reallocated through the pooling system.
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    I did try and search, well scanned the first couple of pages and couldn't find anything...and I was just curious for actual relevant personal experiences, not just what's bad about oxbridge.
    Fair enough :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    How long are these arguments going to go on for? Can't you shift to PM?! :confused:
    Yeah, this argument has kind of destroyed the whole thread (no criticism to the people in it, but you've got to admit this has spiralled way out of proportion to the original statement). The OP's question isn't getting diverse answers, the same things are getting repeated over and over again, and just...yeah.

ReputationRep:
    She was only certainly applying to certainly see if she could certainly get in, not because she certainly wanted to go.
    Look man, I keep telling you that she applied to Cambridge because she thought that she had a good chance of getting in there. Strange as it may be for you to understand, she felt that she was more likely to get in there than other places. She did not apply on the premise that she had a long standing ambition to get in and then reject them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure a lot of people apply just to see whether they can get in. Only a tiny minority would go on to reject their offer, but that's their decision and I really don't see what all the fuss is about. The stronger applicant gets the offer, and gets to decide what to do with their offer. That's life.

I rejected Oxford the first time round for personal reasons. I accepted the second time round (Master's). I rejected the third time round (PhD) because the best supervisor for me was at another university.

ReputationRep:
    I would have rejected Cambridge, were it not for parental pressure. Although I am enjoying my time here and really enjoy science, I honestly don't think the course is medicine as opposed to human biology. A proper medicine course should have a gradual and continuous patient contact element.

Why, therefore, did I apply? Lack of research on my part, and pressure to apply from parents and the school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by episteme)
    I would have rejected Cambridge, were it not for parental pressure. Although I am enjoying my time here and really enjoy science, I honestly don't think the course is medicine as opposed to human biology. A proper medicine course should have a gradual and continuous patient contact element.

Why, therefore, did I apply? Lack of research on my part, and pressure to apply from parents and the school.
    Hopefully things will turn around when you get to clinicals. Sorry you've ended up on a course that's not right for you.

ReputationRep:

Nice post and some interesting observations, but you better lie low as VazzyB is bound to come storming through here at any moment and ignorantly call you an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH123)
    I'm certainly leaning more towards Southampton now, it looks really nice, and very, very relaxed. :^_^:
    I have a friend who (not to be over confident for her) I'm pretty sure will get an offer from cambridge for French and German, yet I think she's leaning more towards Southampton as well. Everyone I know who's been there seem to all be impressed by it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric_Dreams)
    I have a friend who (not to be over confident for her) I'm pretty sure will get an offer from cambridge for French and German, yet I think she's leaning more towards Southampton as well. Everyone I know who's been there seem to all be impressed by it.
    I haven't been there, yet. It just looks very nice on paper. I am visiting it in January for a post-offer subject open day, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huw Davies)
    Hopefully things will turn around when you get to clinicals. Sorry you've ended up on a course that's not right for you.
    Don't suppose you're a clinical medic? I'm looking for someone to pester with annoying questions

On topic, I know someone who applied for maths and comp, but was offered a place for straight comp only. If that had been me, I'd have thought really hard about rejecting it (despite deciding to drop maths a year later :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:

lol what is with this obsession with early patient contact?

anyway don't worry, you have PFP 1 and 2 soon enough - and 2 is actually pretty "medicine-like" - you get to spend quite bit a time doing it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    Nice post and some interesting observations, but you better lie low as VazzyB is bound to come storming through here at any moment and ignorantly call you an idiot.
    lol - i can't fathom how someone wouldn't read the website/prospectus of the place you're going to be studying for 6 years?! Its unbelievable.

but in this case, the person's not an idiot, because its clear they went into it because of pressure from family and whatnot rather than plainly not knowing that there is less patient contact than at other places.

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous. Why did someone neg rep me?

ReputationRep:
    because i dont like being negged really - its mean
    Very sneak vazzyb, you wait for a day to remove suspicion from yourself and then you anomalously neg me. I thought you said it was mean.

ReputationRep:
    its mean when it happens to me

ReputationRep:
    It's pathetic when either of you whinge about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huw Davies)
    It's pathetic when either of you whinge about it.
    you're just so into this argument aren't you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    :eyeball:

A guy tells his girlfriend's story in order to answer the OP, and you randomly pounce upon it, deliver your unasked for judgement about a major life decision she makes, arbitrarily reading a negative motivation into it for absolutely no reason, and without anybody asking your opinion about it. And then, after several posts of several people patiently suggesting that attacking someone's choice in such a way might be a bit unreasonable you get increasingly insulting and come up with the above? :wtf?:

moreiniho demonstrated practically supernatural levels of patience in this thread! (and I have read every post, just before anybody comments)

You talked about 'unasked' - take a hint.

As a conclusion to this thread

I stand by everything I said ... because its true if you actually think about it.

I think this sums it up the best:

So, she's a scientific-academic type person, who felt she'd stand-up much better to a heavily scientific based interview which would expose her level of scientific ability and background reading (which to get an offer, would be relatively high), who actually, when it comes down to it, hates science and doesn't want to get bogged down by it?
    If you think about the scenario which this guy is creating, even if all that he is saying is true (and it probably isn't), it just sounds instinctively ridiculous. There isn't anbody ive ever come across that fits this description - and ive seen so many medical school applicants, on TSR/NMM, as a PS helper and by helping out at my old school.

ReputationRep:
    Let's just let it go.

ReputationRep:
    You talked about 'unasked' - take a hint.

As a conclusion to this thread

I stand by everything I said ... because its true if you actually think about it.

I think this sums it up the best:

If you think about the scenario which this guy is creating, even if all that he is saying is true (and it probably isn't), it just sounds instinctively ridiculous. There isn't anbody ive ever come across that fits this description - and ive seen so many medical school applicants, on TSR/NMM, as a PS helper and by helping out at my old school.

You're missing the point; it isn't that she hates science or doesn't want to get bogged down about it. It's that she likes the 'clinical' side of medicine more. For example, I love Archaeology but I love English even more...so that's what I'm applying for, despite being seriously tempted to apply for an English and Archaeology course. It's not as difficult as you're making it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.