Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    good for her (nothing like bias )
    She has acquired a hint of a scottish accent on the way unfortunately though....

ReputationRep:
    My cousin: Because U Chicago is better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supergirl[=)
    I checked both as I'm extremely bored
    Grey on firefox & green on IE
    And that, my friends, is why Microsoft is bad.

Anyway, I have kinda hi-jacked this thread slightly. Oops. :p:

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends here at Glasgow switched because she just wasn't enjoying it at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    I decided I didn't want to live in Cambridge. It felt far too enclosed, and quite boring compared to Edinburgh.

I finally realised that I don't particularly like the collegiate system at all.

I didn't have good experiences with the people I met on my last few visits to the university (including the staff).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solid_Snake_100)
    One of my friends rejected Oxford to go to Harvard:eek:
    Lol I guess that's very understandable!

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see, did she know about how high the workload was before she applied, or find out at the interviews?
    Well she was amongst the top students in her year and as a result she was persistently pressed to apply by her head of year (a top public school) and my uncle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Good -- must just be this old PC I'm using. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: Looks like we have divided opinion. How odd... Maybe those who see it as grey are using Firefox?
    Grey for me (Mac and Firefox user). How's your Cam application? And Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ooze)
    I decided I didn't want to live in Cambridge. It felt far too enclosed, and quite boring compared to Edinburgh.

I finally realised that I don't particularly like the collegiate system at all.

I didn't have good experiences with the people I met on my last few visits to the university (including the staff).
    Oh can I ask what happened?

ReputationRep:
    A good friend of mine rejected Oxford because she got a sour perception of the place at the interview. She told me that "Oxford are far more interested in what you can offer them as opposed to what they can offer you"

Please don't take that as MY opinion, thats what she said.

ReputationRep:
    This is a nice change from the norm; or at least it could be depending upon how it pans out...

EDIT: Very much OT, but please can someone help me -- are the words 'Tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner' in my signature green or dark grey? I have a mac and I wanted them to be dark grey, but I'm using a PC at the moment and it's turned green for some odd reason. I'm just wondering if the Windows world thinks I have absolutely no colour coordination? :p:
    It's green for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Grey for me (Mac and Firefox user). How's your Cam application? And Manchester
    Ah well, I think we Mac-ers deserve the arguable reward of the proper colours simply because we have Macs!

I haven't been invited for interview yet, but it's been implied that I will be, so I'll just have to see how that goes -- it could go horrifically, but I tend not to get nervous which is one good thing at least. Manchester is of course great though (as you most probablu already know!), such a cool place to be and the course is going well too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    My girlfriend rejected Cambridge because she preferred other places for medicine.
    she's an idiot for applying then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    :curious:

ReputationRep:
    One of my cousiins rejected Cambridge over LSE coz he wanted to stay in London and he said that LSE has a better reputation for economics.

ReputationRep:
    :curious:
    its because

- you have very distinct differences in courses in medicine...
    - people tend to research medical courses very thoroughly before application
    - the situation is that there are a large number of non-traditional universities and a few traditional ones, so there is no requirement to apply to a tradiitional one just to 'make up the numbers' having established that you don't like that style.

therefore, what other possible reason can you have for applying to the one you don't like, other than, i want to show everyone how smart i am.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Quite simply she didn't want to get bogged down in science for three years. She had plenty of other offers and so she took up one of those. Compared to where she is now, clinical experience at Cambridge hardly matches up.

ReputationRep:
    its because

so you like one, and don't like the other, what other possible reason can you have for applying to the one you don't like, other than, i want to show everyone how smart i am.
    Preferences are inherently subjective and axiomatic though; I'm jealous of you if you can honestly say that you've never made a decision and then subsequently changed your mind.

Also, what if she had been accepted at Cambridge but not at the university where she is now, as isn't entirely inconceivable? If that were the case, she may have chosen Cam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    Why? Quite simply she didn't want to get bogged down in science for three years. She had plenty of other offers and so she took up one of those. Compared to where she is now, clinical experience at Cambridge hardly matches up.
    you're telling me reasons for now wanting to apply...
    you're not telling me good reasons for WANTING to apply and then rejecting an offer.

ReputationRep:
    its because

- the situation is that there are a large number of non-traditional universities and a few traditional ones, so there is no requirement to apply to a tradiitional one just to 'make up the numbers' having established that you don't like that style.

therefore, what other possible reason can you have for applying to the one you don't like, other than, i want to show everyone how smart i am.
    As you said people do a lot of research, and yes she did. Her gcse's and AS ums scores, as well as thinking she would do well in the BMAT, put her in a great place for a Cambridge offer. Although she didn't want to do a medical degree that was heavily scienced based, at the time she felt very comfortable with what would be expected of her in her interview. So in someways she was more likely to get an offer there than other places.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.