The Student Room Group

Pharmacy university

How competitive is it to apply to pharmacy at a good university with BCC predicted grades? I was initially going to apply for dentistry and have online work experience for that but nothing else really so I need to apply strategically as I don't have any medical work experience which most people include in their pharm PS, which universities should I go for?
Original post by $of1a
How competitive is it to apply to pharmacy at a good university with BCC predicted grades? I was initially going to apply for dentistry and have online work experience for that but nothing else really so I need to apply strategically as I don't have any medical work experience which most people include in their pharm PS, which universities should I go for?

Hi @$of1a [br] [br] That's great to hear that you're interested in applying for pharmacy!
The University of Huddersfield offers the MPharm. Entry requirements for the course are normally:

A Levels in Chemistry and at least one further science subject from Biology, Maths or Physics. Chemistry A Level is essential. If you are not studying Biology, then Maths or Physics are accepted. The endorsement for practical work is an essential part of Science A Level study, and is a requirement for entry to our degree course.

Offers are based on 3 A Level subjects in the region of ABB and are influenced by subjects being studied, predicted grades and performance at a selection day.

In addition you must have GCSE English Language and Maths at grade 5 or above, or grade C or above if awarded under the previous GCSE grading scheme.

You may want to visit https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/pharmacy-mpharm for more information :smile:

I hope this helps!
Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Original post by $of1a

You would very likely get into some of the newer schools of pharmacy with those grades, especially during clearing.
Last summer (2021), there were 18 out of 30 of the schools in clearing, that's 60%, and I think that is unprecedented.
Because of the doubling of the number of schools over the last 20 yrs, pharmacy is no longer a hugely competitive subject like medicine is.
Yes, there will be more wanting to go to one of the top schools, like UCL, Nottingham, Cardiff, but it doesn't matter where you get your degree.
All that matters is getting a degree and passing the pre-reg exam.
Reply 3
Original post by mrlittlebigman
(Original post by mrlittlebigman)You would very likely get into some of the newer schools of pharmacy with those grades, especially during clearing.
Last summer (2021), there were 18 out of 30 of the schools in clearing, that's 60%, and I think that is unprecedented.
Because of the doubling of the number of schools over the last 20 yrs, pharmacy is no longer a hugely competitive subject like medicine is.
Yes, there will be more wanting to go to one of the top schools, like UCL, Nottingham, Cardiff, but it doesn't matter where you get your degree.

so are you saying it will be hard to get into the good ones such as Nottingham and manchester because of my predicted grades? I don't necessarily want to apply to the new ones as I want to aim for the high achieving unis
Reply 4
Original post by mrlittlebigman
You would very likely get into some of the newer schools of pharmacy with those grades, especially during clearing.

Do you remember what Russel group unis where in that 18/30?
Reply 5
Original post by Abxna
Do you remember what Russel group unis where in that 18/30?

Yes, I would love to know as well!
Original post by $of1a
Yes, I would love to know as well!

Not the RG ones, the newer schools of pharmacy that have all opened over the last 10 to 20 yrs.
e.g. UClan, Hertfordshire, Huddersfield, Kingston, Lincoln, Reading, Wolverhampton.
And you usually get some of the old polytechnics (before they all became universities under the Major government in 1992) like Sunderland, Liverpool, Brighton, Leicester (De Montfort).
Anyone who can get CCC at A level, and gives a satisfactory interview performance can usually get a place somewhere!

In the 80s and 90s when there were just 15 schools of pharmacy there were around 6 to 8 applicants for every place. Since the number of schools has doubled to 30 and it has become common knowledge that pharmacist's wages have stagnated for the last ten yrs, and have only really started going up the last year or so, the course has become a lot less popular.
As you can see from the 2021 data, more than HALF of schools cannot find the 150 students or so to fill their course. Possibly because it is an intense, difficult, full-on full-time subject. Although an interesting and varied course.
I think another reason could be that today's generation Z are not prepared to put up with all the laws and regulations/paperwork and bureaucracy, and courses/CPD/ training in your own time, and the basic monotony and 'Groundhog Day' of community pharmacy, having to deal with many demanding and rude customers, just to earn on average, if salaried (£40kp.a.), about £20 an hour, for 5 yrs study for a cost in fees alone of £37k.

In the late 80s when I was applying there was an old joke....
' How do you get a place to do pharmacy at Aston? '
' Just walk past it, and they'll grab you! '
(it was not seen as a good uni back then!).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending