The Student Room Group

Uni tech help

I will be studying chemistry
I've posted b4 but didn't get more than 1 reply
So here's a bit of detail
I have 2800 in my bank
My phone doesn't work anymore n I have no ipad or macbook
I was thinking of getting an android like one of the cheap ones n then buying an ipad with pencil
But a lot of ppl have said to me that I shouldn't be using my ipad as my main uni device n should get a laptop first
I have done sm research n still can't decide what to get0
I don't wanna waste my money 00on tech
Original post by tecna
I will be studying chemistry
I've posted b4 but didn't get more than 1 reply
So here's a bit of detail
I have 2800 in my bank
My phone doesn't work anymore n I have no ipad or macbook
I was thinking of getting an android like one of the cheap ones n then buying an ipad with pencil
But a lot of ppl have said to me that I shouldn't be using my ipad as my main uni device n should get a laptop first
I have done sm research n still can't decide what to get0
I don't wanna waste my money 00on tech

You have said above that "a lot of ppl have said to me that I shouldn't be using my ipad as my main uni device n should get a laptop first"; is there a particular reason you don't want to accept that advice?
Original post by DataVenia
You have said above that "a lot of ppl have said to me that I shouldn't be using my ipad as my main uni device n should get a laptop first"; is there a particular reason you don't want to accept that advice?

I'm doing chem
So I feel like it will much easier to draw diagrams etc on an ipad
Plus I want to go paperless w my notes which is y I really want an ipad..
Original post by tecna
I'm doing chem
So I feel like it will much easier to draw diagrams etc on an ipad
Plus I want to go paperless w my notes which is y I really want an ipad..

Then buy an iPad. :smile:
Reply 4
Seems like you are over thinking this.

One suggestion is perhaps speak to students already taking Chemistry. See what there thoughts are and what they are using. That will help and give you an idea what tools best to use. If, that still doesn't help, go with the device you feel most would give you advantage, an ipad *2018 6th gen 32GB even a refurbished you can get on Amazon are round £150 and works with 1st gen pencil (£89 from Apple Store Online) - comes with Amazon backed 1-year guarantee: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPad-WI-FI-32GB-Refurbished/dp/B07NYS898H/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1663688909&sr=8-2&srs=16410058031

Your not breaking the bank, pardon the pun, get a decent device to try when you start, then if you decide it works for you, can get a ipad keyboard.
if not then you can compliment the ipad with a laptop, which again you can get a decent one at a reasonable price.

*fyi - I wouldn't buy an Ipad older then 2018 as these won't work with the Apple Pencil.
Original post by westty
Seems like you are over thinking this.

One suggestion is perhaps speak to students already taking Chemistry. See what there thoughts are and what they are using. That will help and give you an idea what tools best to use. If, that still doesn't help, go with the device you feel most would give you advantage, an ipad *2018 6th gen 32GB even a refurbished you can get on Amazon are round £150 and works with 1st gen pencil (£89 from Apple Store Online) - comes with Amazon backed 1-year guarantee: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPad-WI-FI-32GB-Refurbished/dp/B07NYS898H/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1663688909&sr=8-2&srs=16410058031

Your not breaking the bank, pardon the pun, get a decent device to try when you start, then if you decide it works for you, can get a ipad keyboard.
if not then you can compliment the ipad with a laptop, which again you can get a decent one at a reasonable price.

*fyi - I wouldn't buy an Ipad older then 2018 as these won't work with the Apple Pencil.

What laptop do u recommend
My brother was like I could get a macbook pro n compromise on the ipad and instead get a Samsung tablet for like 300 they come with the Samsung pen
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by tecna
What laptop do u recommend
My brother was like I could get a macbook pro n compromise on the ipad and instead get a Samsung tablet for like 300 they come with the Samsung pen

Trust me Macbooks are a rip off for student unless you do a subject that requires Mac specific software e.g. programming or music or you like the Mac experience since you're are mostly paying for the software since Macbooks start at £1.3k and you get about £700 max worth of hardware as an equivalently spec-ed windows laptop.

If you are looking for a laptop, I would recommend getting something with an Intel i5 or i7 (typically higher performance) or a Ryzen 5 or 7 (longer battery life without compromising too much on performance). Also get something with at least 8GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD (a HDD or hard drive will me much much slower).You can get second hand models but laptop batteries tend to degrade pretty quickly so I wouldn't recommend one more than 2-3 years old.

In terms of a tablet/iPad, I have tried both for notetaking (since you can't really do Maths equations quicly on a PC) but ultimately found it a bit of a faff with trying to move the page everytime you want to write which is why I switched back to paper. My advise would be to try it before you buy.

Quick Reply

Latest