Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What does it mean if a Uni invites you to visit their department, but no offer yet? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Today, I received an information pack from the School of English at Liverpool University as well as an invitation to come and look around. The letter stated that the outcome of my UCAS application was yet to come.

I have to reply to let them know if I am coming.

Is this just a standard procedure or an indication that I may have a place on the course?

I have no offer made from them on UCAS Track.

ReputationRep:
    Just standard procedure. They just allow all applicants to see what the place is like, so that if they are accepted they can then make a more informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    Could mean anything. It may mean that you've passed the initial entry requirements or it could just be that they invite all applicants to visit.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

ReputationRep:
    After I'd confirmed my five choices, they invited me over, some gave mini-interviews, but basically it meant that you've pretty much got the place. Though I swear that wasn't this early...

ReputationRep:
    Did they mention an interview as part of the day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex2306)
    Did they mention an interview as part of the day?

No, but I'm to go and look at the accommodation and a chat is organised with a tutor. It's not that far off, so I'm going to be pretty angry if I take the day off college to go there, and then end up not getting a place!!

ReputationRep:
    I would visit the university though...
    Dont not go to their invite.
    My friend was invited to 4 of these "open days".
    Decided not to go to three of them (different days obviously) and was rejected by all three of those 2/3 days after their "open day".
    I know it's just a coincidence but..
    yea

ReputationRep:
    It means they like you but not enough to sleep with you. Give it time and just enjoy each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineapplesmoothie)
    No, but I'm to go and look at the accommodation and a chat is organised with a tutor. It's not that far off, so I'm going to be pretty angry if I take the day off college to go there, and then end up not getting a place!!

If their inviting you to a day it sounds like they want you, don't worry

ReputationRep:
    It's probably so they can meet you and see what you're like.
    It's no biggie - on mine they showed me around the department and the uni and I had an informal chat with one of the advisors about the course.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks for all the help!

ReputationRep:
    It varies from University to university, course to course.

Both Aberystwyth and Nottingham have invited me to Visit Days, in the next week or so (Aberystwyth has around 5 Visit Days to choose from). That's after they made me an offer.

Southampton invited me to a Visit Day before making me an offer, which had a "1on1 informal chat with academic staff", which was basicaly as it says on the tin. It was called an interview by everyone else who had been invited and by most other people on the day, but as soon as we got into the interview room, we were told it's really not lol. It had some interview-like questions, but it was pretty much a chat, a chance to get to know the applicant, and a chance for the applicant to ask questions.

The Visit Days are really useful, especially if you haven't been to an Open Day for the University. Southampton's included a quick tour of the department, got to see the labs and the gigantic computer room in the Zepler building. They took us on a coach tour of some of the accommodation, providing free lunch (sweet & sour and rice... awesome ), free sandwhiches etc for the afternoon, and a couple of presentations from members of staff on the department, its research and the applications procedure.

It's worth going to if you haven't been to an Open Day, and if they haven't made you an offer yet. I'm probably not going to Aberystwyth's because I spent 2 days there playing with robots in the Spring, and I went to Nottingham's Open Day and found time to view the accommodation etc.

On the other hand, my girlfriend got invited to a Visit Day by Bath, and simply emailed them asking if there would be anything different from the Open Day, and they replied saying it won't affect her application in the slightest by not attending (it's due to time, time out of school, money and so forth as well).

ReputationRep:
    umm.. i think that it means.. that they wanna see if ur comited to the uni.. so u will go to the open day.. then they will give u an offer..
    otherwise they wud give the offer to sum1 else..
    some people may not go to the open day.. because they would have alredi recieved offers from higher preference unis..
    if u attend the open day.. i reckon u will get the offer!!
    x

ReputationRep:
    great advice, i'm new to this so unsure if i can close a thread!

but to conclude, i got an offer the very next morning.

who knew unis make offers on saturdays!!

ReputationRep:
    Bath asked me to an open day, not too long after the invite I got an offer, I think they're is definately a link between open day invites and offers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.