Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Student Loan Direct is my favourite company in the whole wide world.
    yeah my brother too..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bugzy)
    I've been working since I was 13 and haven't had a payout from my parents since!
    This.
    A few of my friends don't have a job because they quite simply cannot be bothered and plan on scrounging of their parents for the rest of their life, and their parents are morons for letting them do so. But a lot of my friends, who do rely on their parents money, are currently trying to get jobs so they are more independent. Good on them I say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    I don't, that's the point.
    Ah right, I understand.
    It kind of makes me feel though.

ReputationRep:
    I will be getting EMA soon so I wont need to borrow money anymore. I don't really have the time for a job tbh although if I did I would get one. But it does make me feel guilty

ReputationRep:
    I got some food for tea yesterday (came to £1--I'm cheap like that!) and when my dad was dropping me off at my flat he was like "here's some pennies for the food" and gave me £20! I felt sooo bad taking and said I didn't need it but he just ignored me!

It was kind of sweet but he doesn't really have that much money to spare and has already given me so much!

ReputationRep:
    No because I get EMA.

Saving up now for a laptop for uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicideCommando)
    Haha. I had a job until 2 weeks ago, and also EMA.

My Mother's disabled and my Father is in a mental hospital, so me and my brother have to pay bills as well...
    This sounds almost exactly like my life, just different details. I share your deal.

ReputationRep:
    I overheard someone at school today saying that their parents pay for all the petrol money for their car-all they have to pay is the parking tickets in town etc, which are like 60p a time. I was like :O I can't even afford to learn to drive and some people get lessons and tests paid for them and cars bought, petrol money paid etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Student Loan Direct is my favourite company in the whole wide world.
    My worst :mad: They've already sent me reminders of the interest that is accruing on my loans. Gosh I miss Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopy_laura)
    I overheard someone at school today saying that their parents pay for all the petrol money for their car-all they have to pay is the parking tickets in town etc, which are like 60p a time. I was like :O I can't even afford to learn to drive and some people get lessons and tests paid for them and cars bought, petrol money paid etc.
    My best mate... much as I love her... is like that. Her parents paid for all her lessons, her test, her car, her petrol; they paid for her lunch all the way through school and they've paid her accomodation at uni. She wasn't allowed to get a job at school and isn't allowed to get one now.

Why? Because she needs to study :rolleyes: Everyone else manages it! I pointed out to her that employers like to see people with a bit of experience and she's going to have a shock when it comes to working for real and she told me that her sister didn't have any problems finding a job, so why should she. Her sister wasn't trying to work out of a recession though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    My best mate... much as I love her... is like that. Her parents paid for all her lessons, her test, her car, her petrol; they paid for her lunch all the way through school and they've paid her accomodation at uni. She wasn't allowed to get a job at school and isn't allowed to get one now.

Why? Because she needs to study :rolleyes: Everyone else manages it! I pointed out to her that employers like to see people with a bit of experience and she's going to have a shock when it comes to working for real and she told me that her sister didn't have any problems finding a job, so why should she. Her sister wasn't trying to work out of a recession though!
    What is the problem with parents paying for their children if they can do so?
    Granted, in your case, she's your best mate, so you may have her best interests at heart when you think she should get a job, but I get the feeling that there is a lot of bitterness and envy in lots of people's posts (in this thread and all over the forum) along the lines of "it is so unfair that x's parents have more money than mine".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesus-ninja)
    Ah right, I understand.
    It kind of makes me feel though.
    ... I wish everyone would stop saying I make them feel sad. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    What is the problem with parents paying for their children if they can do so?
    Granted, in your case, she's your best mate, so you may have her best interests at heart when you think she should get a job, but I get the feeling that there is a lot of bitterness and envy in lots of people's posts (in this thread and all over the forum) along the lines of "it is so unfair that x's parents have more money than mine".
    Alright, I'll admit, there was a little bit of 'I have to give up my weekend/going to parties because of work, you just stay at home all day' but also it was more the fact that she was completly convinced that future employers aren't going to care about the fact that she's never worked before. They will! I don't mind admitting that I'd prefer it if I didn't have to get a job over christmas, which (if I get the one I want) is very likely to limit the amount of time I can see my friends and possibly need me to work News Years Day, Christmas Day and New Years Eve (or something).* Wouldn't we all prefer it if our parents paid our way forever?

*As it is, I loved having a little job during my A Levels. I met new people and had a great laugh with the other workers in my shop. I hope that I get the job I want, because it's right up my street!

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a job but that's not the point...

My dad gives me £20/30 quid a week for no reason. Tbh, I can't refuse it-I've tried, but he does it because he's really poor and doesn't support my mum financially (she makes much more)m, so it makes him feel responsible and paternal I suppose. He always gives me money, even if he's completely broke (and he normally is. And when I say broke I mean like he has £100 to his name), and I can't refuse it because then he'd feel like a rubbish father.

ReputationRep:
    nah i dont feel bad asking parents for money, ive already made a christmas wish list and yes im 18 :P oh yeah my debit cards been playing up so cant withdraw money (my lame excuse)

ReputationRep:
    I worked part-time after college until I started Uni and my parents never used to give me money until it became clear that I was really struggling around Easter of first year in Uni (no job application had been successful since I left my pre-Uni job) and then they helped me out a bit.

Now, since my mum died this summer, my dad has seemed to realise that money isn't really everything and he's trying to help me clear my debts so I don't suffer and can have a more care-free life.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that easy to find a job you know.

ReputationRep:
    i know, never said it was

ReputationRep:
    There are. No jobs. =[

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    No, cause they don't give me money, and I don't ask for it.

Student loan covers my expenditures, yay! :rolleyes:
    Ditto this.

I would prefer to get a job if I needed to though, over asking my parents for money.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.