The Student Room Group

What should I do?

The wifi at my student dorm unit is so incredibly slow and keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. I am unable to do any assignments and I can’t even call my family back home. I have emailed and called the wifi maintenance office multiples of times but they seem to be doing nothing towards fixing the problem. I am under a contract with the dorms and I will be staying here until end of November and it’s only halfway through September now how am I supposed to stay like this?! What should I do?
Original post by anajam
The wifi at my student dorm unit is so incredibly slow and keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. I am unable to do any assignments and I can’t even call my family back home. I have emailed and called the wifi maintenance office multiples of times but they seem to be doing nothing towards fixing the problem. I am under a contract with the dorms and I will be staying here until end of November and it’s only halfway through September now how am I supposed to stay like this?! What should I do?

This is going to sound like a "d'uh" response, but have you considered using a LAN/ethernet connection? Most universities offer an ethernet connection, which I prefer over wi-fi connection to prevent connection issues.

A standard laptop or PC should have at least one ethernet port, and to connect you would just plug the cable into the laptop and then the ethernet socket; no passwords are usually required.
Reply 2
same is me it is incredibly slow, does anyone know if an ethernet cable fixes this and prevents your device/console from being disconnected
Hi, get yourself a Wi-Fi extender, this should help with your slow internet problems :smile: You can buy them for a good price on Amazon. You just plug it in to a socket, connect the extender to your Wi-Fi through your phone, and your Wi-Fi will be boosted.

- Rosie

Quick Reply

Latest