The Student Room Group

Hnc

Hi really random, but I believe this appears on your wall I only just made this account so not sure, but I start my mech engineering hnc this week and was just curious about what the step up was like for you as you come from level 2, I previously done level 3 during covid but haven’t studied in a while so was just curious about the step up, thanks.
Original post by Millionaredivers
Hi really random, but I believe this appears on your wall I only just made this account so not sure, but I start my mech engineering hnc this week and was just curious about what the step up was like for you as you come from level 2, I previously done level 3 during covid but haven’t studied in a while so was just curious about the step up, thanks.

This was meant to go on @StriderHort messages as I seen his post from years ago but I don’t know how to work this I am sincerely sorry lol
Heya :smile:

Yea I went from City & Guilds L2 to my HNC at college and then HND at uni.

I found in C&G the workload was very high in terms of items and exams/quizzes, but most were small medium in scale with little hard rules in the way of reading and referencing, most info was somewhat provided or hinted at and you had quite a bit of 1 to 1 help with anything you needed.

HNC definitely changed to a smaller number of more in depth tasks, but most exams stayed the same 'quiz' scale apart from the end of year graded one which for us was a 'Chose 3 in depth questions to answer out of a possible 6' deal, but the knowledge required wasn't huge and sources were still mostly provided but with some need to seek elsewhere for good work. Maybe because this was college and/or HNC, we weren't pushed much in terms of citations, referencing or even bibliographies, but a few lecturers did try and instil the basics in us.

HND at uni was definitely a steeper step, far more people called Dr or Professor involved in your teaching and as with HNC a smaller list of deeper tasks but requiring more scale and comfort with academic research and writing. Considerably stricter expectations in accurate citing and referencing of material and indeed writing skills, but we always had sources and small classes to directly learn these skills from. We had another exam at the end and a Graded Unit, which is basically a small dissertation with the same rules but smaller scope, you are more being measured on competence with the criteria than new research. (I surveyed Scottish council landscaping offices as to their awareness, uptake, purchase plans and opinion of lithium ion battery tools in horticulture)

Overall I felt my City & Guilds L2 prepared me reasonably well, there was a step up in quality of work but it didn't feel overwhelming and I was a mature student with no exp of academic writing beforehand. I can only imagine C&G L3 already taught you to better standard of writing.
Original post by StriderHort
Heya :smile:

Yea I went from City & Guilds L2 to my HNC at college and then HND at uni.

I found in C&G the workload was very high in terms of items and exams/quizzes, but most were small medium in scale with little hard rules in the way of reading and referencing, most info was somewhat provided or hinted at and you had quite a bit of 1 to 1 help with anything you needed.

HNC definitely changed to a smaller number of more in depth tasks, but most exams stayed the same 'quiz' scale apart from the end of year graded one which for us was a 'Chose 3 in depth questions to answer out of a possible 6' deal, but the knowledge required wasn't huge and sources were still mostly provided but with some need to seek elsewhere for good work. Maybe because this was college and/or HNC, we weren't pushed much in terms of citations, referencing or even bibliographies, but a few lecturers did try and instil the basics in us.

HND at uni was definitely a steeper step, far more people called Dr or Professor involved in your teaching and as with HNC a smaller list of deeper tasks but requiring more scale and comfort with academic research and writing. Considerably stricter expectations in accurate citing and referencing of material and indeed writing skills, but we always had sources and small classes to directly learn these skills from. We had another exam at the end and a Graded Unit, which is basically a small dissertation with the same rules but smaller scope, you are more being measured on competence with the criteria than new research. (I surveyed Scottish council landscaping offices as to their awareness, uptake, purchase plans and opinion of lithium ion battery tools in horticulture)

Overall I felt my City & Guilds L2 prepared me reasonably well, there was a step up in quality of work but it didn't feel overwhelming and I was a mature student with no exp of academic writing beforehand. I can only imagine C&G L3 already taught you to better standard of writing.

Thanks for the reply :smile: if you done mech Eng did you find the step up in maths difficult or was it understandable throughout the hnc, if you done something else then no worries but thanks a lot anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest