The Student Room Group

Best 4th a level for economics?

hi, if i want to do economics at university, what would be the best 4th a level to go with maths, further maths and economics? i know a 4th isn't necessary but i want to take 1 in case i drop further maths. so, what a level would compliment economics best? (other than history, i didn't take it at gcse)
Original post by oceanblue99
hi, if i want to do economics at university, what would be the best 4th a level to go with maths, further maths and economics? i know a 4th isn't necessary but i want to take 1 in case i drop further maths. so, what a level would compliment economics best? (other than history, i didn't take it at gcse)

How about sociology or geography?
I did both at a-level and loved them.
They are a bit of a nice change from the other subjects you have chosen.
Original post by Emma:-)
How about sociology or geography?
I did both at a-level and loved them.
They are a bit of a nice change from the other subjects you have chosen.

thanks for your suggestions, but unfortunately my school doesn't do sociology. as for geography, see, i love the human side but can't stand physical geography (gcse has been a bit of a struggle with the physical side).
my sister took the exact same subjects as you and for her fourth took chemistry. she was picking between history and chemistry tho so maybe one of those two. all the best!
(edited 1 year ago)
thanks for your suggestions, but unfortunately my school doesn't do sociology. as for geography, see, i love the human side but can't stand physical geography (gcse has been a bit of a struggle with the physical side).

Oh right, fair enough.
What about english? Its an essay subject and is a bit different to the other 2. Or a language?
Other than history, I would say politics for sure
(edited 1 year ago)
I would say (in order)

History: Pretty sure you don’t need GCSE to do it

Politics: Economics involves a lot of government policy

Physics: Helps your mathematical ability (important for university)

Geography: Human side is literally the same, but focuses slightly more on social factors too. I did Geography (along with FM, M and Eco), and found it really interesting. But as you said, physical Geography is a pain.

Language: Not necessarily great for a economics specifically, but great for future employability (cough cough banking)

In terms of ease, if you are comfortable with your mathematical ability, I would go for Physics as it leaves your university choices free too - Prime position for Maths, Physics, Engineering, Economics and Computer Science, all of which are ‘strong’ degrees. History and Geography are surprisingly hard (Got 3A* and A in Geog) and unless you are interested in them, it is hard to perform well. Can’t comment on politics. A language is also great, but if you drop FM it won’t help you much at all.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PastelColours
my sister took the exact same subjects as you and for her fourth took chemistry. she was picking between history and chemistry tho so maybe one of those two. all the best!

ohh okay, thanks for your help !
Oh right, fair enough.
What about english? Its an essay subject and is a bit different to the other 2. Or a language?

hmm, i don't think i'm good enough at english to get good grades at a level, i've heard it's really hard. but a language might be a good idea, thank you for your ideas:smile:
Original post by Cant.be.asked
Other than history, I would say politics for sure

ahh okay, i'll definitely consider it, thanks for your help!
Original post by crashcody
I would say (in order)

History: Pretty sure you don’t need GCSE to do it

Politics: Economics involves a lot of government policy

Physics: Helps your mathematical ability (important for university)

Geography: Human side is literally the same, but focuses slightly more on social factors too. I did Geography (along with FM, M and Eco), and found it really interesting. But as you said, physical Geography is a pain.

Language: Not necessarily great for a economics specifically, but great for future employability (cough cough banking)

In terms of ease, if you are comfortable with your mathematical ability, I would go for Physics as it leaves your university choices free too - Prime position for Maths, Physics, Engineering, Economics and Computer Science, all of which are ‘strong’ degrees. History and Geography are surprisingly hard (Got 3A* and A in Geog) and unless you are interested in them, it is hard to perform well. Can’t comment on politics. A language is also great, but if you drop FM it won’t help you much at all.

thank you for your suggestions! i think our school says you have to do history to do it at a level, and i'm not totally keen on physics so i don't think i'll do it at a level, but i'm definitely thinking about a language or politics. how did you find geography, if you didn't like physical geography as much?
hmm, i don't think i'm good enough at english to get good grades at a level, i've heard it's really hard. but a language might be a good idea, thank you for your ideas:smile:

Have you already done any languages during secondary school? If so it may be easier to carry it on rather than do a completely new language.
Have you already done any languages during secondary school? If so it may be easier to carry it on rather than do a completely new language.

yep, i'm taking german, and my teacher has encouraged me to do it for as level at least, so that's definitely on my list
yep, i'm taking german, and my teacher has encouraged me to do it for as level at least, so that's definitely on my list

That's a deffo possibility then
thank you for your suggestions! i think our school says you have to do history to do it at a level, and i'm not totally keen on physics so i don't think i'll do it at a level, but i'm definitely thinking about a language or politics. how did you find geography, if you didn't like physical geography as much?

Human Geography is basically entirely covered by economics, with bits not covered basically being common sense or really interesting (imo at least).

Physical is pretty meh in my experience - I did it for GCSE and much of it is very similar. However, some of it is interesting, as it involves some human. Ecosystems and Africa were my choices - great fun, especially when links are made to things like development etc.

Naming coastline or glacial features is pretty boring for me, but things like that are often minor (and tend to hold very few marks in exams strangely).

However, Geography exams are pretty hard. I would say its the most time intensive exam - One paper is 2hr15 for 45 45 38 markers. You have to be able to write fast and coherently - you will have very little time to review your writing. Additionally things like case studies can feel a bit worthless, but are essential for top marks.

I definitely treated it as my ‘fall guy’ a-level and kind of only revised physical parts leading up to exams (because of the economics links). Came out thinking I got an A* in Geography and like a C in Economics, only to get a pleasant surprise with Economics.

Just a big precaution - If you want the A*, spend more time focusing on exam structure and don’t half ass it - A few weeks before my exams I handed in an essay using an Economics structure and got like 3/30 marks. Managed to clean it up, but you get the point - It’s probably easy to get a good grade, but it will require work to get the A*.

Also another note - Lots of people say that 3A*=4A* for uni admissions. I don’t know if that’s true, but if it is, learning a language would be great, as you have something you can put on your CV, considering taking Geography won’t affect your uni chances. However, the flip side is you don’t need to take German at a-level to be able to put it on your CV. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending