The Student Room Group

How much walking is the Duke Of Edinburgh Silver Award expedition?

Hi, I am applying for the DofE Silver Award, and was told there would be a lot of walking in the expedition. I just wanted to ask so I could prepare myself. Also, any tips for the expedition in general?
Original post by Pink turtles
Hi, I am applying for the DofE Silver Award, and was told there would be a lot of walking in the expedition. I just wanted to ask so I could prepare myself. Also, any tips for the expedition in general?

Hey there!

I'm also doing Silve DofE and I did Bronze last year so what you have been told is correct =) I believe for Silver it will be around 20K depending on the route your group has planned out.

For general advice, I'd say make sure you are fit and stable because carrying a heavy ass backpack for about 7 hours is A LOT. I'd recommend you take some Deep Heat with you for your shoulders because they will ache no matter how strong and fit you may be. To get used to the walking maybe do long walks around your neighbourhood or if you go to a gym, you could go on a treadmill and slowly increase the time you are walking for.

Oh, and when you do the actual expedition please, please make sure you are hydrated and take some healthy snacks you can eat whilst you're walking. These will help supply you with enough energy to keep you going! Most importantly, make sure to pace yourself and by that, I mean communicating with your group to make sure you are ALL walking at roughly the same pace and no one is speeding ahead or left behind!! It's way too stressful and tiring trying to keep up os make sure everyone in your group is together.

That's roughly the main things I'd say from my experience with Bronze and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!! Hope this helps! \(∩_∩)/
Sorry for the extremely late reply. Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I just wanted to ask : how does the expedition work? My school haven't mentioned anything about it. Do we have a motive for the expedition?
Hey there! No worries, essentially the expedition works very similarly to Bronze except for the apparent fact that you are walking more for a more extended period. And for this year as COVID has died down quite a bit, they are expecting you to record your progress in volunteering, skills, and physical along with an assessor's report. For motives and aims of the expedition, it can be anything, whether you are looking for specific landmarks or structures i.e bridges or picking up any trash or waste that you find along the way. These are just brief examples, so I suggest visiting the DofE website about aims. I'm not sure if you've been informed of this already, but you also need to add escape routes to your route cards this year.

I hope this has kind of answered your question :smile:

Original post by Pink turtles
Sorry for the extremely late reply. Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I just wanted to ask : how does the expedition work? My school haven't mentioned anything about it. Do we have a motive for the expedition?
Original post by lattae :p
Hey there! No worries, essentially the expedition works very similarly to Bronze except for the apparent fact that you are walking more for a more extended period. And for this year as COVID has died down quite a bit, they are expecting you to record your progress in volunteering, skills, and physical along with an assessor's report. For motives and aims of the expedition, it can be anything, whether you are looking for specific landmarks or structures i.e bridges or picking up any trash or waste that you find along the way. These are just brief examples, so I suggest visiting the DofE website about aims. I'm not sure if you've been informed of this already, but you also need to add escape routes to your route cards this year.

I hope this has kind of answered your question :smile:

Thank you, Yes this answers it perfectly!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending