The Student Room Group

Should I get UpLearn or stick with a one-to-one tutor?

Hey, so I'm in Year 12 taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Geography and EPQ and I keep seeing these ads on UpLearn quite a lot.

I've checked out the website and pricing details but I don't know if I should get it. Usually, what I've seen for tutoring prices on MyTutor, the prices range from £30-£40 per lesson whereas UpLearn is giving it for around £18-£27 per month over 2 years if I start now. It seems cheaper and a decent website but I'm still a bit sceptical about it. I mainly would want it for Biology and Chemistry.

Anyone who has used/ knows about UpLearn, any advice??
(edited 1 year ago)
I used UpLearn for maths, I feel it helped me with topics I struggled on, which was most of them. I mainly used it during Covid.

The positives about it is you can pause and rewind, revisit topics when you want. Therefore, you can go at my own pace. They also have practice questions both when you're working on a topic, and separate parts for questions. I don't remember if they mark it, I think they do, and they show you the correct answers as well. I think if you need help you can tutors for help, they have a messaging system on it, from what I recall. Not 100% sure.

The negative side to it is that you don't have anyone to ask for help in person when using it. As it's pre recorded videos, you can't have something explained in a different way if needed.

Its been a few years since I used it, I don't fully remember what it included. Overall, I think UpLearn is useful. There might not be a physical person there to explain and help, you can ask your teacher if need be.
Original post by unknown1393
I used UpLearn for maths, I feel it helped me with topics I struggled on, which was most of them. I mainly used it during Covid.

The positives about it is you can pause and rewind, revisit topics when you want. Therefore, you can go at my own pace. They also have practice questions both when you're working on a topic, and separate parts for questions. I don't remember if they mark it, I think they do, and they show you the correct answers as well. I think if you need help you can tutors for help, they have a messaging system on it, from what I recall. Not 100% sure.

The negative side to it is that you don't have anyone to ask for help in person when using it. As it's pre recorded videos, you can't have something explained in a different way if needed.

Its been a few years since I used it, I don't fully remember what it included. Overall, I think UpLearn is useful. There might not be a physical person there to explain and help, you can ask your teacher if need be.

I'm not sure what it is like now, please don't take my opinions to face value. I feel it helped me, it mainly helped with learning the basics of the topics, not much with learning it for exams.
Reply 3
I used Uplearn and it was extremely useful. I was able to catch up on work and revision and was primarily the reason i understood the topics. I used it for Chem and maths,

i would recommend uplearn to understand the content during the year but also recommend a private tutor nearer to exams.
Reply 4
Ahh, I see thank you, everyone! I was really considering getting it but later I found out they don’t have my exam board for Bio or Chem ...Nevermind, I'll still continue hunting for some good websites!!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lattae :p
Hey, so I'm in Year 12 taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Geography and EPQ and I keep seeing these ads on UpLearn quite a lot.

I've checked out the website and pricing details but I don't know if I should get it. Usually, what I've seen for tutoring prices on MyTutor, the prices range from £30-£40 per lesson whereas UpLearn is giving it for around £18-£27 per month over 2 years if I start now. It seems cheaper and a decent website but I'm still a bit sceptical about it. I mainly would want it for Biology and Chemistry.

Anyone who has used/ knows about UpLearn, any advice??

Heya!
Have you checked out another tutoring/online course pages? For example, Study Mind offers online courses for a-level bio and chem which you could also find helpful (lifetime access for the price!) :h: If you have any questions, you could drop us a message on the website and we'll be able to help you! You could start with an online course and then if needed, closer to the exam time you could get a tutor just to help you make sure you are fully ready for the exams/get an explanation of the topics you are really struggling with.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest