Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any family secrets.
    Or has anyone from your family ever told you about secrets they were told when they were growing up. But found out or eventually got told.

They can be small or significant.

My grandad didn't tell my nan he had bi polar till they were married and then my mum wasn't told about it till she was in her 20's.

My dad wasn't told about an adopted sibling he had, till he found some documents on it.

I'm sure all families have them.

Or do you hold any secrets from them?

ReputationRep:
    i probably know things that i havent told my family and theres stuff about the people in my family that has only been found out years and years down the line.. =\

My mum had an affair that only I know off.

(Original post by magic_unicorn)
    My grandad didn't tell my nan he had bi polar till they were married and then my mum wasn't told about it till she was in her 20's.
    surely she would have figured?

ReputationRep:
    My stepdad's ex told their son that my stepdad wasn't his real father because she was jealous of my mum. What a horrible thing to do

Father had a 4 year affair.

ReputationRep:
    My aunt ran off with a soldier. That's all pretty 'hush-hush'.

I can think of lots of interesting things, but nothing that's been purposely kept from me or my family. Just stuff that has been found out later.

ReputationRep:
    I recently found out my dad was married when he met my mum and they had an affair. My mum became pregnant with me while this was going on. He left his wife to be with my mum and they have been together for 20 years now. Shocking!

ReputationRep:
    My grandma has really bad schizophrenia, and I didn't find out until a few weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    "Family secrets revealed" sounds like an episode of Oprah or Jeremy Kyle :p:

I don't know any big secrets :no:

ReputationRep:
    Damn, was going to post but I can't be anon anymore! Shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Oh You Tease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    Oh You Tease.

Well I only got told them a couple of weeks ago and they are pretty big secrets... As in, not the kind of thing anyone who was in my (rather large, extended) family would be happy me spreading. Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yep:

ReputationRep:
    edit: deleted them all because i'm hardly anonymous.

there's quite a lot tbh. big family = lots of secrets, which is weird because we're all really close.

ReputationRep:
    My auntie and her husband used my grandads credit cards, (which he only had in case of emergencies, as he believed in only spending money if you actually have it there and then and hated credit cards) while he was on his death bed. They ran up bills of a couple of grand in my grandad's name buying stupid stuff like games consoles and stuff. Eventually my parents realised what they had done once my mum was sorting through my grandads bills after he'd died but my auntie couldnt afford to pay off any of the debt and so my dad had to sort it all out somehow
    This was all about 6 years ago now and i only found out what had happened a couple of months ago,I'd never really understood why we never saw my auntie since my grandads death but now i dont think i want to see her ever again :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I got loads.

Found out few years ago my great grandmother hung herself but my great grandfather ran off with a younger women. My nan (their child) was only a year younger than this other women. My nan was 15 at the time.

Also just found out my dad was a memeber of the National Front.

ReputationRep:
    My dad had an affair for the last 4 years of my parent's marriage.

The best one though; he's a swinger.

Needless to say, I don't talk to him anymore :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Sofi-)
    My auntie and her husband used my grandads credit cards, (which he only had in case of emergencies, as he believed in only spending money if you actually have it there and then and hated credit cards) while he was on his death bed. They ran up bills of a couple of grand in my grandad's name buying stupid stuff like games consoles and stuff. Eventually my parents realised what they had done once my mum was sorting through my grandads bills after he'd died but my auntie couldnt afford to pay off any of the debt and so my dad had to sort it all out somehow
    This was all about 6 years ago now and i only found out what had happened a couple of months ago,I'd never really understood why we never saw my auntie since my grandads death but now i dont think i want to see her ever again :mad:
    Owch.

Reminds me of a (less secret family secret than what I would've posted) secret in ours - My nan's brother was happily married and had a son, who was in all accounts a little **** growing up. He ran away from home or something at 16 and didn't come back for 3 years... Didn't have much contact with his parents all through their lives and was generally just a user (I don't know much but it's the only thing that gets my nan angry, so it suggests an awful lot!). Anyway, my nan's brother's wife died a few years ago and he himself died earlier this year; up pops the son a week after his death claiming everything that he owned and that none of it - keepsakes or otherwise - should go to his remaining siblings. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I want to write a children's drama about family secrets but I want to give it a mysterious supernatural edge, have you got any ideas i could use, just a little inspiration?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.