The Student Room Group

GCSE English language

I got grade 2 in my gcse English language mock exam in year 10, but I want to get a grade 5/6 in my final exam, do you have any advice/tips that can help to improve my grade?
Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Hey there! One thing I can say about improving grades in English Language is including it in your everyday life. The more you are exposed to it, the more progress you are able to make! For example, with Q5 where you have descriptions, narratives, speech writing etc., try incorporating reading or looking at articles online for a start. Listening to podcasts may also be a way in which you get to experience formal and relaxed language to entertain and keep your examiner interested (especially good for those speeches and newspapers/articles).

Another thing is speaking to your teachers and asking what you need to improve. Try writing some past papers in your spare time and ask them to mark it. This will give you a bigger insight in what you need to do for the test.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Z0ha1
I got grade 2 in my gcse English language mock exam in year 10, but I want to get a grade 5/6 in my final exam, do you have any advice/tips that can help to improve my grade?
Thanks in advance

Having just done my GCSE's the biggest and most useful pieces of advice I can give you are the following:
-Learn more than just the basic english features, e.g. auditory imagery, triplets etc
-Pick out short quotations roughly 1-4 words
-fill your entire essays when analysing with these short quotations and make them fit the sentence without having to say this is a quote
-For creative writing, write a story where the ending links back to the beginning this is called cyclical structure btw
-For nonfiction writing try and relate it to a topic u are confident with
-Depending on ur board there are different ways of answering questions which if u reply with i can answer for u
-Finally u may think there is no point in revising bcus u cant revise the unknown texts but u should still practice, english language is one of the subjects where practising through past papers can boost ur grades hugely, before i started i was targeted a 6/7 and after i practiced i finished with a 9
1.Workout where it is that you're losing marks and work on those points. Maybe ask your teacher what is missing from you're answers and where you can improve. If you're friends with anyone getting better grades, you can also them for help.

2. I think a lot of schools teach structuring answers as PETAL, PEEL, PEE, or other versions. Whatever structure your school teaches, practice answering questions in non exam conditions, so that you can get the hang of writing it in that form. But, do questions in exam conditions as well, so you are used to it, some people struggle in exams because they run out of time, practising in exam conditions will help with this. You can

3. Evaluate other answers, using a range of different marks. Compare the ones that received lower marks and the ones that received higher marks. Compare your answers, you can see what's missing and improve on that part.

Its been a few years since I've done GCSEs, but I remember what helped me to get improve is understanding the structure I was supposed to use, at first I did not understand it and had no idea what I was supposed to write. When I got a new teacher who explained the different steps and explained the structure, I improved.

Focus on your weak points, you might hate working on the parts you find hard but its what you need to do to improve. However, that doesn't mean you don't pay any attention to the parts you do know.
Reply 4
Original post by Conyx
Hey there! One thing I can say about improving grades in English Language is including it in your everyday life. The more you are exposed to it, the more progress you are able to make! For example, with Q5 where you have descriptions, narratives, speech writing etc., try incorporating reading or looking at articles online for a start. Listening to podcasts may also be a way in which you get to experience my formal and relaxed language to entertain and keep your examiner interested (especially good for those speeches and newspapers/articles).

Another thing is speaking to your teachers and asking what you need to improve. Try writing some past papers in your spare time and ask them to mark it. This will give you a bigger insight in what you need to do for the test.

Original post by unknown1393
1.Workout where it is that you're losing marks and work on those points. Maybe ask your teacher what is missing from you're answers and where you can improve. If you're friends with anyone getting better grades, you can also them for help.

2. I think a lot of schools teach structuring answers as PETAL, PEEL, PEE, or other versions. Whatever structure your school teaches, practice answering questions in non exam conditions, so that you can get the hang of writing it in that form. But, do questions in exam conditions as well, so you are used to it, some people struggle in exams because they run out of time, practising in exam conditions will help with this. You can

3. Evaluate other answers, using a range of different marks. Compare the ones that received lower marks and the ones that received higher marks. Compare your answers, you can see what's missing and improve on that part.

Its been a few years since I've done GCSEs, but I remember what helped me to get improve is understanding the structure I was supposed to use, at first I did not understand it and had no idea what I was supposed to write. When I got a new teacher who explained the different steps and explained the structure, I improved.

Focus on your weak points, you might hate working on the parts you find hard but its what you need to do to improve. However, that doesn't mean you don't pay any attention to the parts you do know.

Thanks a lot
Reply 5
Original post by Mitullesh
Having just done my GCSE's the biggest and most useful pieces of advice I can give you are the following:
-Learn more than just the basic english features, e.g. auditory imagery, triplets etc
-Pick out short quotations roughly 1-4 words
-fill your entire essays when analysing with these short quotations and make them fit the sentence without having to say this is a quote
-For creative writing, write a story where the ending links back to the beginning this is called cyclical structure btw
-For nonfiction writing try and relate it to a topic u are confident with
-Depending on ur board there are different ways of answering questions which if u reply with i can answer for u
-Finally u may think there is no point in revising bcus u cant revise the unknown texts but u should still practice, english language is one of the subjects where practising through past papers can boost ur grades hugely, before i started i was targeted a 6/7 and after i practiced i finished with a 9

Thank you so much for the advice, I will try my best to do it, btw my exam board is AQA
Original post by Z0ha1
Thanks in advance

Hiya,

Others have given fantastic advice, but i'd also suggest reading fictional and non-fictional texts everyday (e.g. 30 mins before you go to bed) so that you get more immersed in the type of writing you'll have to do and analyse in English Language. :h: Also, make a list of all of the techniques that writers use in their texts - like onomatopoeia, similes etc - and try to identify them in the texts that you practice from. Doing practice on question types that you're weak on is also a great shout, and ask your teacher to mark them! :redface:

Hope this helps, lmk if you have more questions!

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind
Original post by Z0ha1
Thank you so much for the advice, I will try my best to do it, btw my exam board is AQA

Paper 1:
q1) Short one sentence answers can include quotes if u want
q2) follow this pattern: pick a phrase, identify technique, analyse and explain
q3) same as 2 but include judgement as this is directed towards u
q4) appear convincing and critical in your response, show your understanding of the methods a writer uses and evaluate this is key to your answer
q5) show the examiner ur capabilities and focus on content as well as structure and make it complex but understandable dont over use certain techniques
Damn there’s a lot of good advice on here. All I can really add (if it hasn’t been already mentioned) is watch Mr Salles. IMO he’s the best English YouTuber. Other YouTubers include:
- Mr Bruff
- Mr Everything English
- Stacey Reay
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Mitullesh
Paper 1:
q1) Short one sentence answers can include quotes if u want
q2) follow this pattern: pick a phrase, identify technique, analyse and explain
q3) same as 2 but include judgement as this is directed towards u
q4) appear convincing and critical in your response, show your understanding of the methods a writer uses and evaluate this is key to your answer
q5) show the examiner ur capabilities and focus on content as well as structure and make it complex but understandable dont over use certain techniques

thanks again :smile:
Original post by Z0ha1
Thanks in advance

I would say to read lots of non-fiction and fiction texts to get an idea of the general structure you would need to follow when you write yours in the exam(especially for non-fiction texts like articles) Also practice writing your own. The questions are unknown so it's difficult to prepare for anything specifically, which is why a more general outline of the structure would be helpful.

For me, I had a preplanned story(for my fiction writing section) which I could then adapt to fit any scenario that was given in the question. Reading books would also help to gain a wide range of vocab and language techniques for when you come to do your fiction writing.

For the analysis sections, I would say to just do lots of practice questions. This will help you to pick out things more easily when you analyse a text, because you'll probably be more used to doing it as you practice lots.

Also doing past papers will help you practice your time management, which is very very important in your English exam. Go into the exam with a rough idea of how long you will spend on each question and be strict with these timings if possible, this will help you keep track of time.

Quick Reply

Latest