The Student Room Group

Gcse history

anyone know how to revise for gcse history? I find it hard answering essay questions under timed conditions and it can be hard to understand aswell!!
If that’s what you struggle with then the best thing you can do is keep doing it! Get a selection of random essay questions from online and do them under timed conditions.
It gives you two bits of info; what areas and topics you are stronger on and where you can improve in terms of structure and how concise you are.
I also used to get my friends also in the class to ask random questions based on the content that way it benefits you both!
I got a 9, it was defo one of the subjects I enjoyed more so I put lots of time into learning it. Also if I remember correctly for the essay questions you get a choice? From my questions (2019) I remember one question was more breadth and the other more depth so play to your strengths. I would generally pick the depth because I liked to focus on one thing in a lot of detail vs a large time period in not much detail.
Finally play to your strengths with the papers, I got 98% in my nazi Germany paper but 68% in Cold War and Richard and John and then 85% in crime and punishment. It was in the order I enjoyed the topics. So I could afford to do slightly worse on Cold War because I knew nazi germany like the back of my hand due to the time I invested in learning it! Good luck xx
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hannahah8
anyone know how to revise for gcse history? I find it hard answering essay questions under timed conditions and it can be hard to understand aswell!!

get used to planning what you are going to write in the essays quickly in your head. start practicing by writing full plans for a question and shortening it down each time until you are able to make a semi clear plan in your head :smile: also, read and revise other people's exam question answers that you can find online. at the end of the day, repeatedly practicing writing answers to the essay questions in your own time WILL make you better at them. for every one you do, submit it to your teacher to mark so that they can give you feedback - i'm sure they wont mind (if they can see you putting extra hours in to get better at their class, they should be willing to do the same for you) Good luck, queen <33333333333
Reply 3
Original post by slayda
get used to planning what you are going to write in the essays quickly in your head. start practicing by writing full plans for a question and shortening it down each time until you are able to make a semi clear plan in your head :smile: also, read and revise other people's exam question answers that you can find online. at the end of the day, repeatedly practicing writing answers to the essay questions in your own time WILL make you better at them. for every one you do, submit it to your teacher to mark so that they can give you feedback - i'm sure they wont mind (if they can see you putting extra hours in to get better at their class, they should be willing to do the same for you) Good luck, queen <33333333333

omg ur fr the best thank you soo much im going to try this outt <3
Reply 4
Original post by ALEreapp
If that’s what you struggle with then the best thing you can do is keep doing it! Get a selection of random essay questions from online and do them under timed conditions.
It gives you two bits of info; what areas and topics you are stronger on and where you can improve in terms of structure and how concise you are.
I also used to get my friends also in the class to ask random questions based on the content that way it benefits you both!
I got a 9, it was defo one of the subjects I enjoyed more so I put lots of time into learning it. Also if I remember correctly for the essay questions you get a choice? From my questions (2019) I remember one question was more breadth and the other more depth so play to your strengths. I would generally pick the depth because I liked to focus on one thing in a lot of detail vs a large time period in not much detail.
Finally play to your strengths with the papers, I got 98% in my nazi Germany paper but 68% in Cold War and Richard and John and then 85% in crime and punishment. It was in the order I enjoyed the topics. So I could afford to do slightly worse on Cold War because I knew nazi germany like the back of my hand due to the time I invested in learning it! Good luck xx

thank youu ur a lifesaver im going to try this outt : ))))
Original post by ALEreapp

oh wow you did the exact same papers as me, but i am the exact opposite.
Nazi Germany and Crime and Punishment are my harder papers as there just so much more content and harder exam structure.
For the content, how did you remember it all, did u go memorise it all a month before the exam?
I want to exam practice but idk the content, so do i memorise it the content first?
Original post by Rafee Chowdhury
Nazi Germany and Crime and Punishment are my harder papers as there just so much more content and harder exam structure.
For the content, how did you remember it all, did u go memorise it all a month before the exam?
I want to exam practice but idk the content, so do i memorise it the content first?

Heya!
What helped me remember the content for history was by creating visual timelines for each chapter with major events and a small summary under each year :h: You need to go through the content first and remember it before practising. After you have covered the content, do past paper questions and see how well you did and why you have lost the marks. Use the new knowledge to improve your answers so that you can get higher scores.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by Rafee Chowdhury

Much like Milena said above, learn your content roughly then do exam questions as that highlights your gaps in knowledge so you don’t just revise things that you already know!

History has a lot of content so don’t try and learn every small detail, particularly for crime and punishment! You will not learn it all so you need to prioritise the broad knowledge and then have little bits of fine detail here and there.

I am fascinated by the nazi before the course anyway (one of the reasons I took gcse history was for the Germany trip to berlin and Sachsenhausen camp) but honestly documentaries are your best friend in regard to that topic, you’d be surprised how much you can pick up. Just be careful the documentaries are not holocaust heavy as the course makes an active effort to avoid the main years of genocide. But documentaries about general life/ the nazis rise to lower are great as they give a clear and visual timeline of everything for you to fill in the details with learnt knowledge like uprisings etc.

I won’t lie, I did so much cramming before my history exams just for the fine details. So I would just sit out the exam hall with my friend and we would open our books on random pages and ask eachother questions… you’d be surprised how much you don’t know but also how much can go in when you need it to😂
As I said previously I also played the exams to my strengths where I had the options to which most people were shocked I chose the questions I did but it obviously worked 🙈
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest