Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know that Child benefit now its like £12 something, and has been for the past few years (i'm the second child) but i was wondering, is this the same amount for our whole life? so would we get less when we were like under 10 years old?

ReputationRep:
    child benefit? you mean per week?

it stays the same until you are 18/or leave full time education which ever occurs first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    child benefit? you mean per week?

it stays the same until you are 18/or leave full time education which ever occurs first
    are you sure? so when we were like 3, we still get like £12 something???

ReputationRep:
    as far as i know, its matterless of age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    as far as i know, its matterless of age
    because that's what i get now £12.55 and can i just check, surely a teenager is more expensive to raise than a toddler so how can it be regardless of age?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamsComeTrue.)
    because that's what i get now £12.55 and can i just check, surely a teenager is more expensive to raise than a toddler so how can it be regardless of age?:confused:

seriously it doesnt matter about age, age has never been a factor in that sort of child benefit.

why?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the age of the child matters, no.

ReputationRep:
    Toddlers/babies need nappies, and different food (perhaps baby formula milk) and new clothes (even second hand or whatever) because they grow so goddam quick. And new shoes which should be properly fitted so they don't screw their feet up. And school uniforms and all sorts of stuff.

Teenagers may seem more expensive but only because the stuff they buy is less essential.

ReputationRep:
    How on earth do you work this out? You don't still need to be in nappys, you don't need follow on milk, you don't need specially designed knives and forks, or different food?

ReputationRep:
    ok, thanks for that i was just wondering thats all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    How on earth do you work this out? You don't still need to be in nappys, you don't need follow on milk, you don't need specially designed knives and forks, or different food?
    Babies don't have driving lessons, university costs to save up for, bus fares and beer money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Babies don't have driving lessons, university costs to save up for, bus fares and beer money.
    Driving lessons and a savings account for uni are not a) compulsory expenses or needs for living and b) not the responsibility of a parent to provide. Bus fare is also not necessarily a compulsory expense as walking free or EMA may pay for it or a part-time job or a free bus pass may be provided. And beer money is definitely not something child benefit is for. A teenager's basic needs e.g. food and shelter, are less expensive than the basic needs of a child.

ReputationRep:
    ok, so we are all agreeing that child benefit is the same regardless of age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemily)
    Driving lessons and a savings account for uni are not a) compulsory expenses or needs for living and b) not the responsibility of a parent to provide. Bus fare is also not necessarily a compulsory expense as walking free or EMA may pay for it or a part-time job or a free bus pass may be provided. And beer money is definitely not something child benefit is for. A teenager's basic needs e.g. food and shelter, are less expensive than the basic needs of a child.
    If Uni costs aren't (at least in part) the responsibility or parents, why do we get money taken off our maintenance loan depending on our parents' earnings? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    If Uni costs aren't (at least in part) the responsibility or parents, why do we get money taken off our maintenance loan depending on our parents' earnings? :p:
    But the money shouldn't come from child benefit. It is not past a person of 17-18 to work and save money for university if they know that they may be at a disadvantage because they won't get as much loan as other people.

I understand your point but I reiterate that university is not a basic need like nappies and formula milk might be considered for a modern baby. (and yes I appreciate breast milk is free and you could use re-useable nappies, although these still need to be purchased and laundered). Child benefit is meant to contribute to a child's basic needs, hence why it is given to all families regardless of income.

ReputationRep:
    But the money shouldn't come from child benefit. It is not past a person of 17-18 to work and save money for university if they know that they may be at a disadvantage because they won't get as much loan as other people.

I understand your point but I reiterate that university is not a basic need like nappies and formula milk might be considered for a modern baby. (and yes I appreciate breast milk is free and you could use re-useable nappies, although these still need to be purchased and laundered). Child benefit is meant to contribute to a child's basic needs, hence why it is given to all families regardless of income.
    I wasn't talking about child benefit or saying that Uni was a basic need. I was just arguing that Uni costs are, in some part, the responsibility of the parent.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't talking about child benefit or saying that Uni was a basic need. I was just arguing that Uni costs are, in some part, the responsibility of the parent.
    Child benefit is given for the day to day needs of the child; NOT for saving for the childs future.

ReputationRep:
    First, thread is about child benefit.

Second, I consider a child to become an adult at 18. I would never expect money from my parents after I was 18 and I expect university debt to be my debt. Unfortunately the government has double standards and although declares you an adult at 18, insists that you parents should still provide for you after this age, which is a flawed system. At 18 uni is your decision to go, it is your debt to deal with, and you should shoulder the financial responsibility. But like I said, its a flawed system.

ReputationRep:
    First, thread is about child benefit.

Second, I consider a child to become an adult at 18. I would never expect money from my parents after I was 18 and I expect university debt to be my debt. Unfortunately the government has double standards and although declares you an adult at 18, insists that you parents should still provide for you after this age, which is a flawed system. At 18 uni is your decision to go, it is your debt to deal with, and you should shoulder the financial responsibility. But like I said, its a flawed system.
    I know. I agree completely that it's flawed. But someone, somewhere assumes parents should be responsible for some of University costs and that's why they 'take money off you' if your parents earn quite a bit. That's all I was saying. And you didn't mention child benefit when stating that university costs were 'not the responsibility of a parent to provide.'

I myself would have preferred if I got the whole loan, the whole debt and didn't have to call on my parents because the loan I was given just about paid for my rent. :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    Child benefit is given for the day to day needs of the child; NOT for saving for the childs future.
    Re-read the first 6 words of my post...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.