Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dont like how child benefit is without conditions so even those who are well off are entitled to it. We should focus on giving more money to the poorer families and to stop child poverty!

and for the record, here is the cost of looking after a child that I picked off a report. Its more expensive to look after children when they are younger. The 19-21 years increased cost is down to uni and other things mentioned above in this thread, its a good job child support isnt aimed at 21 year olds

* 1st year - £8,184
    * Years 2 to 5 - £48,517 (£12,129 p.a. for these years)
    * Years 6 to 11 - £48,595 (£8,099 p.a.)
    * Years 12 to 18 - £43,992 (£6,285 p.a.)
    * Years 19 to 21 - £36,746 (£12,249 p.a.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemily)
    First, thread is about child benefit.

Second, I consider a child to become an adult at 18. I would never expect money from my parents after I was 18 and I expect university debt to be my debt. Unfortunately the government has double standards and although declares you an adult at 18, insists that you parents should still provide for you after this age, which is a flawed system. At 18 uni is your decision to go, it is your debt to deal with, and you should shoulder the financial responsibility. But like I said, its a flawed system.
    in agree with you! when i go to univeristy i am not expecting my parents to pay for any of the tution or rent, we got to uni, so why do our parents have to pay? we'll get a job and pay it back ourselves! is it true that if we have the full maintencane grant we cannot have the full maintenance loan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamsComeTrue.)
    in agree with you! when i go to univeristy i am not expecting my parents to pay for any of the tution or rent, we got to uni, so why do our parents have to pay? we'll get a job and pay it back ourselves! is it true that if we have the full maintencane grant we cannot have the full maintenance loan?
    I don't see how the system works if legally we are an adult at 18. Double standards all round. Anyhoo, Yes if you have full grant you cannot have the full loan but the deduction is about £600 I think. This is purely to limit the amount of loan (i.e. repayable money) that people who they deem to be on low incomes rack up. It is also because if you are eligible for the full grant, the university of your choice MUST provide you with a bursary and this bursary will more than make up for the deduction of loan, and is also not repayable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemily)
    I don't see how the system works if legally we are an adult at 18. Double standards all round. Anyhoo, Yes if you have full grant you cannot have the full loan but the deduction is about £600 I think. This is purely to limit the amount of loan (i.e. repayable money) that people who they deem to be on low incomes rack up. It is also because if you are eligible for the full grant, the university of your choice MUST provide you with a bursary and this bursary will more than make up for the deduction of loan, and is also not repayable.
    thanks for that! its not that much £600, i suppose less debt will be more worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    child benefit? you mean per week?

it stays the same until you are 18/or leave full time education which ever occurs first
    Not necessarily, they stopped paying my mum when I left U6, even though I'm at uni full time and was still 17...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    I dont like how child benefit is without conditions so even those who are well off are entitled to it. We should focus on giving more money to the poorer families and to stop child poverty!

and for the record, here is the cost of looking after a child that I picked off a report. Its more expensive to look after children when they are younger. The 19-21 years increased cost is down to uni and other things mentioned above in this thread, its a good job child support isnt aimed at 21 year olds

* 1st year - £8,184
    How much of those are base costs and how much are optional?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by splorgie)
    Not necessarily, they stopped paying my mum when I left U6, even though I'm at uni full time and was still 17...
    It only gets paid up to further education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    It only gets paid up to further education.
    Oh ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    * 1st year - £8,184
    Whoah that seems waaay to much! did the report break these figures down at all, in to what exactly the money is spent on?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.