Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heyyy, this is Zainab...I recently received an offer to study Biomedical Sciences at Queen's Campus. I love the idea of coming to Durham University although the idea of living and being in Stockton seems like a let-down. Can you help me out here? I'm a sports junkie and the constant commute from Queen's to Durham will be time-consuming, is it a good idea?
    Also, I've chosen John Snow College, how far is it from campus? How good is the faculty or facilities for Sciences etc?
    Please, if any of you could list some pros and cons for me, it'd be great.
    I fell in love with the Durham Castle and hearing that Stockton is a bit of a hole does not go so well specially if you're coming all the way from South Asia.
    I'll appreciate anyone's help. Thanks.

P.S: I have done my research...I just want some personal opinions. Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeee90)
    Heyyy, this is Zainab...I recently received an offer to study Biomedical Sciences at Queen's Campus. I love the idea of coming to Durham University although the idea of living and being in Stockton seems like a let-down. Can you help me out here? I'm a sports junkie and the constant commute from Queen's to Durham will be time-consuming, is it a good idea?
    Also, I've chosen John Snow College, how far is it from campus? How good is the faculty or facilities for Sciences etc?
    Please, if any of you could list some pros and cons for me, it'd be great.
    I fell in love with the Durham Castle and hearing that Stockton is a bit of a hole does not go so well specially if you're coming all the way from South Asia.
    I'll appreciate anyone's help. Thanks.

P.S: I have done my research...I just want some personal opinions. Thanks again.
    Stockton itself isn't a "hole". It's a decent enough town and the reputation it has is undeserved. It's not really "dangerous" (even Middlesbrough isn't that bad for crime). It is, however, bland. I think that's fair to say. It doesn't have a great deal apart from the usualy high street shops, a few clubs etc. However, people (especially Durham students) forget that Durham's not really too hot when it comes to shops and nightlife, either. The only real difference between the two is at Durham you can hop onto a train to Newcastle, QC is too far away so you're stuck with Stocton.

Yes, Durham has the great atmosphere and is a beautiful city with a World Heritage Site in the centre of it and Stockton isn't. However, this doesn't necessarily make Stockton a "dive".

It's a campus. so everything (including the two colleges) are on site.

Queens Campus still has its own sporting facilities, so you wouldn't need to travel to Durham all the time. The university is going through a £360 million investment right now, with £300 million of that going to Queens Campus. They are expanding the sports facilities at Queens Campus even further, with over £3 million of investment and re-locating some of the sports facilities currently at Durham to Stockton (I don't know a great deal about this). I do know this will be finished by 2010, so not too far away in the future.

I'm not saying Stockton doesn't have its problems, all places do. It's a town and not a bustiling city, it can't offer the vibrant and buzzing nightlife of a major city. The problem with being at a campus, away from the main uni, is that you don't really feel like you're a part of university and feel cut off. I know this is something the uni is addressing, particularly with its sport investment.

Edit: - I appreciate you using an old thread rather than creating a new one. However, as that thread was almost a year old I've created a new one for you. Hope you don't mind.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.