The Student Room Group

does studying all the time causes hairfall?

does studying all the time causes hairfall? during my uni, I have lost half of my hair but I believe that is due to other reasons eg; poor diet and water being not suitable for my hair. I still have 5 years of uni left and I m worried what if I end up losing the rest of my hair too?
See a doctor instead of making assumptions or relying on what strangers say on the Internet. That much hairloss is not normal.
hmm just want to know if others have experienced something similar
Original post by ROTL94 3
See a doctor instead of making assumptions or relying on what strangers say on the Internet. That much hairloss is not normal.
Reply 3
No it shouldn't - but ask yourself genuinely if you have lots of hair left on your head?

You will lose 'lots' of hair normally around this time (& in Spring) because we moult and shed hair just like other animals. Sometimes the hair loss looks a lot but it isn't really if you have a good head of hair. You should not have any bald patches. If you have fine hair you may be able to see your scalp, but you should know what is normal for you in this respect.

If you have been having chemotherapy, the drugs used can cause hair loss.

Stress can cause some hair loss

Hair pulling as a stress relief can cause hair to part from your scalp

Having over processed hair by extension glues, heat, chemicals - can weaken hair and cause it to break off.

Have a look and see if the root of the hair is coming out with it (a tiny little thing that looks like a grain of rice right at the end of the hair) or is the hair breaking mid shaft? If it breaking mid shaft it could just be the over use of hair colours or chemicals that has weakened your hair.

Just as #ROTL 94 3 says - go and get some proper medical advice if you genuinely think you are losing your hair
As mentioned, it's not normal to have lost half your hair in so short a time. I don't think any water in the UK is toxic enough to affect hair in that way and diet would similarly take longer. I know some people with terrible diets who are morbidly obese and they still have a wonderfully thick, shiny and luscious mane. Could this be genetic and/or hormonal? Male pattern baldness?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Muttly
No it shouldn't - but ask yourself genuinely if you have lots of hair left on your head?

You will lose 'lots' of hair normally around this time (& in Spring) because we moult and shed hair just like other animals. Sometimes the hair loss looks a lot but it isn't really if you have a good head of hair. You should not have any bald patches. If you have fine hair you may be able to see your scalp, but you should know what is normal for you in this respect.

If you have been having chemotherapy, the drugs used can cause hair loss.

Stress can cause some hair loss

Hair pulling as a stress relief can cause hair to part from your scalp

Having over processed hair by extension glues, heat, chemicals - can weaken hair and cause it to break off.

Have a look and see if the root of the hair is coming out with it (a tiny little thing that looks like a grain of rice right at the end of the hair) or is the hair breaking mid shaft? If it breaking mid shaft it could just be the over use of hair colours or chemicals that has weakened your hair.

Just as #ROTL 94 3 says - go and get some proper medical advice if you genuinely think you are losing your hair

no I have Never been on chemo
I think its coming with the root mostly
the hair fall has happened over time period of 4-5 years not just at once
I have done blood tests and all results are normal except vitamin D and B12 so I took supplements for that but I m just worried that will it all ever grow back
Original post by Son of the Sea
As mentioned, it's not normal to have lost half your hair in so short a time. I don't think any water in the UK is toxic enough to affect hair in that way and diet would similarly take longer. I know some people with terrible diets who are morbidly obese and they still have a wonderfully thick, shiny and luscious mane. Could this be genetic and/or hormonal? Male pattern baldness?

I am female and did hormonal tests which were normal. Genetics not sure as my mom has good hair.
It has happened over time period of 4-5 years not just at once

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending