Turn on thread page Beta

Apologies if this turns into an essay. FYI: I'm a 21 year old female and i'm pretty sure i suffer from depression. I am a medical student so although i know roughly what i'm talking about, please don't assume i'm a hypochondriac.

Basically ever since i was a teen i have suffered with it. I don't really want to go into too many of my problems, so apart from the normal symptoms to do with your mood, i have put on a large amount of weight in the last few years through anxiety and binge eating, and have suffered from sleep troubles for as long as i can remember (takes me ages to get to sleep and i sleep a lot, and i nap in the day too). I'm not depressed all the time- sometimes if i'm with friends i can come out of it and people often see me laughing and think i'm absolutely fine. But on the inside i'm just screaming.

When i was 15/16 i used to self harm. Quite a lot- like on a daily basis. I managed to quit through willpower at 16 but i still fantasise about doing it now, 5+ years later. At the time my mum found out she took me to the GP but i clammed up. I was offered counselling but refused it- my pride got in the way.

About a year ago i went to the GP on my own about my sleeping problems, and she said it sounded like i had either an anxiety problem or OCD (due to my rituals before i sleep.) She offered counselling too (which i never went to, again, my pride) and refused to offer me sedatives until i had tried the counselling.

Now i've got to a point where i'm sick of it. It's been about 8 years now and i've NEVER felt normal. My mood swings are pretty bad, i can turn on people in a second. I'm horrible to my boyfriend sometimes and my sex drive is non existant now. I'm not a social person so i don't see friends much and i seem to spend a lot of time on my own which i thought was normal, but apparently not.

I am on the pill which i know can have side effects, but i dont want this to cloud the GP's judgement over my real issue. I have changed pills so many times to find one that didnt give me headaches, i dont want to change again.

I guess i'm asking for advice on how to strike up the conversation, exactly what to say.....i feel like such a fraud because i know people have such bigger problems than me, and i shouldn't be like this. Please tell me how you guys got yourselves sorted out? I'm willing to try anything- is it likely they will prescribe me anti depressants?

ReputationRep:
    Just walk in and say how you feel; like 1/3 of GPs appointments are about depression, so you won't look too weird in their eyes.
    Congrats that you're on a pill that suits you finally; has it got markedly worse since starting the pills?
    Also, a GP pretty much always ensures you go through counseling before doling out the pills. It's a good idea, because the pills won't work on their own, even if it's purely biological. The thing is, you get into habits and patterns of thinking that you can analyse during CBT, which a counselor will be able to go through with you.
    Don't worry, we all have issues, but clearly the way you feel feels bad to you, don't apologise for it.
    I wish you the best of luck, we all have pride issues when we go see a counselor, but they're really nice people (and if you get a rubbish one, you can always ask to change)

Also, Antidepressants come with some awful side effects. I sleep for hours and wake up feeling like I've not slept, can't concentrate and have no sex drive/can't orgasm any more. It's really not the easy way out it's cracked up to be. Please try the counseling first, good luck, and feel free to PM me if you want a frank chat,
    Best wishes,
    Jess

Oooh also, it might help if you write a letter they can read in front of you, or show them this post.

ReputationRep:
    It pretty much sounds like you are suffering from depression. It's good that you've decided to do something about it though.

I don't think your GP will put what you've just said down to the pill as it should be obvious through what you're describing and how you behave. The best thing is to say exactly what you've said here cos that'll get the point across. Its most likely that they will prescribe you AD's.

ReputationRep:
    If you went to see your GP again would you be prepared to go for counselling/therapy? Even if your GP will prescribe meds, it's usually a combination of meds and therapy that tackle depression most effectively.

I really would be prepared for counselling now. Although i will feel a bit of a pleb talking about stuff in front of a stranger, i think i've grown up a bit now. I just need to deal with it instead of hoping it will go away on it's own. I just need that confidence to actually say this stuff to the GP without feeling like a fool.

ReputationRep:
    Its okay talking to a counsellor after a few weeks with them. If you can't say it to your GP, print off this and show it to him/her.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.