Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Their requirement is:

''AAA at A level. Subjects should include Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level. If only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A).''

Do you know if I would be disadvantaged for only having biology A2 and no other sciences, compared to people who have more science A levels?

Thanks. (I have emailed them but I'm wondering if anyone else knows or has some info as I'm rather impatient!) :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you have already applied, then forget about it, there is nothing you can do now...just hope for the best.

If you are to apply next year, then I would seriously reconsider dropping chemistry after your AS year, not only for the sake of Newcastle but also for the rest of the universities you apply. If you cannot handle A2 Chemistry then you may struggle with medicine, not because if involves alot of chemistry (i dont know) but simply because its a subject which universities ask for, so there must be some aspect of it which is important.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but in my opinion it may disadvantage your application if you don't have it, but thats my opinion...what do I know?:no: :confused:
    Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Yes you will be at a massive disadvantage compared to people who has both chemistry and biology A levels; in fact chemistry is the most important out of all the sciences; (biology is good to have but if you don't have it its fine) - if you take a look at other universities and their requirements many will say chemistry is compulsory

i would suggest you to apply to their foundation course, as you do not have chemistry. Although bear in mind the foundation course still requires AAA, just that it does not require you to have the two sciences listed above.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The entry requirements are just that, they shouldn't discriminate.

ReputationRep:
    I'd hope they wouldn't discriminate and if chemistry was really needed so badly for their course, I doubt they'd be taking on applicants with just biology and no chem!? ...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start applying next year (im in year 12) with just biology at A2.
    still deciding weather to pick up chem AS or not just im 19 and cant really afford to pay for it!

anyway.. good luck to u hope it goes well.. let me know if u get any offers id be really interested to hear, as obviously i'll be in your boat this time next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhSoRetro)
    I'm going to start applying next year (im in year 12) with just biology at A2.
    still deciding weather to pick up chem AS or not just im 19 and cant really afford to pay for it!

anyway.. good luck to u hope it goes well.. let me know if u get any offers id be really interested to hear, as obviously i'll be in your boat this time next year!
    YES pick chem up - go to ucas website and have a look at the requirements for the A100 to A106 courses (they are all medicine); you'll see most universities will want chemistry as a compulsory subject, you'll be better off having the subject as you will then have more universities choices to pick from when you apply next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billykwok)
    YES pick chem up - go to ucas website and have a look at the requirements for the A100 to A106 courses (they are all medicine); you'll see most universities will want chemistry as a compulsory subject, you'll be better off having the subject as you will then have more universities choices to pick from when you apply next year.

I'm also in year 12 and was thinking of picking up chem as an extra As along with 3 A2's? My school said they don't advise it or let many people do it as they prefer them to concentrate on their other exams. Do many people take up an extra As in year 13? I don't want to end up doing it and miss the A2 grades because of it! I know if you work hard it's probably possible but even so I don't want to do it if it's going to make me miss the grades....?

ReputationRep:
    i cant believe people arent choosing chemistry. its the most important subject for medicine. you will be seriously limiting your chances without it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    I'm also in year 12 and was thinking of picking up chem as an extra As along with 3 A2's? My school said they don't advise it or let many people do it as they prefer them to concentrate on their other exams. Do many people take up an extra As in year 13? I don't want to end up doing it and miss the A2 grades because of it! I know if you work hard it's probably possible but even so I don't want to do it if it's going to make me miss the grades....?
    i know it isn't entirely the same because i did scottish highers, but i did the normal 5 subjects in 5th year and got AAAAA and then did advanced higher biology, chemistry, maths and higher french in 6th year and got AAA at AH and A in my higher. it was a lot of work in 6th year and i was running myself into the ground at points trying to juggle voluntary work, my school work, interviews and trying to have a normal life as well but it was worth it and i am really proud of what i did last year.

i would advise picking up the AS purely because it will widen your choices and if you are serious about medicine you should be able to manage it because i can tell you that even though i found my work load hard last year, it was (slightly) less than my work load this year and you have to be able to cope with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTC199)
    i know it isn't entirely the same because i did scottish highers, but i did the normal 5 subjects in 5th year and got AAAAA and then did advanced higher biology, chemistry, maths and higher french in 6th year and got AAA at AH and A in my higher. it was a lot of work in 6th year and i was running myself into the ground at points trying to juggle voluntary work, my school work, interviews and trying to have a normal life as well but it was worth it and i am really proud of what i did last year.

i would advise picking up the AS purely because it will widen your choices and if you are serious about medicine you should be able to manage it because i can tell you that even though i found my work load hard last year, it was (slightly) less than my work load this year and you have to be able to cope with it
    Okay thank you I'll give it a lot more serious thought and decide what I think I'm capable of after I get my As results back.

(Original post by bean87)
    i cant believe people arent choosing chemistry. its the most important subject for medicine. you will be seriously limiting your chances without it
    Some people like me don't have a choice, and others don't realise they want to do medicine until later on.
    Do you think people that wanted to go into medicine from very early on with access to the right subjects would just willingly decide to not take chemistry to make life harder for themselves???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    I have exactly the same problem as you. my college is 'strongly advising against' me doing AS chem next year and I don't want to feel bogged down with all the work and miss grades in my 3 A2's. although i guess if i do rubbish then i know medicine wont be for me i suppose..
    sorry to hijack your thread Jinxy lol

ReputationRep:
    I have exactly the same problem as you. my college is 'strongly advising against' me doing AS chem next year and I don't want to feel bogged down with all the work and miss grades in my 3 A2's. although i guess if i do rubbish then i know medicine wont be for me i suppose..
    sorry to hijack your thread Jinxy lol
    No problem! At least I know of someone in the same boat as me..

What subjects you currently taking at As? and...what were your GCSE's can I ask ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Some people like me don't have a choice, and others don't realise they want to do medicine until later on.
    Do you think people that wanted to go into medicine from very early on with access to the right subjects would just willingly decide to not take chemistry to make life harder for themselves???
    i cant make these assumtions. lots of idiots plan to do medicine without even knowing the entry requirements. so its not about making it harder for themselves. its about being ignorant

assuming you aren't ignorant, you will know that most (i personally thought all) medical schools require chemistry A2. why dont you have a choice to do chemistry? does your school/college not have a chemistry A level??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean87)
    i cant make these assumtions. lots of idiots plan to do medicine without even knowing the entry requirements. so its not about making it harder for themselves. its about being ignorant

assuming you aren't ignorant, you will know that most (i personally thought all) medical schools require chemistry A2. why dont you have a choice to do chemistry? does your school/college not have a chemistry A level??
    Okay then.

My school had chemistry A level but it clashed with my subjects, they are a also quite a small school and have limited teaching staff in the sciences as they are an arts/language school. they could only offer so many people a place in the class. I was also an external applicant to the sixth form so my guess is that they gave their own students places earlier before the external applicants applied. We had very late interviews as well. Anyway I had to carry on with education and it was my only choice of school, hoping that i'll be able to pick up chemistry As next year.

There are at least 4 from my own knowledge, that require chemistry only to As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    No problem! At least I know of someone in the same boat as me..

What subjects you currently taking at As? and...what were your GCSE's can I ask ?

4 A's, 6 B's and 1 C for GCSE's. AS, i'm doing biology, psychology, sociology and politics. What about u ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)

There are at least 4 from my own knowledge, that require chemistry only to As.
    And 4 that don't require it at all...

ReputationRep:
    i would take chemistry AS, then if you dont get in, take the A2 in your gap year. making sure you explain to the med schools in a letter or such why you didnt take it straight away. im sure your school will understand how important it is for you to do chemistry if you set up a meeting with them and parents to discuss why you need to be in the class

ReputationRep:
    4 A's, 6 B's and 1 C for GCSE's. AS, i'm doing biology, psychology, sociology and politics. What about u ?
    Oh right! nice

Biology, History, English Literature & Philosophy.

and

A* AAAAAA B CCC (mixed feelings about my grades lol :\ )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Their requirement is:

''AAA at A level. Subjects should include Chemistry and/or Biology at A or AS level. If only one of Biology and/or Chemistry is offered at A or AS level, the other should be offered at GCSE grade A (or Dual Award Science grade A).''

Do you know if I would be disadvantaged for only having biology A2 and no other sciences, compared to people who have more science A levels?

Thanks. (I have emailed them but I'm wondering if anyone else knows or has some info as I'm rather impatient!) :p:
    Their requirement is 3 A levels at grade AAA.

At least 1 A level OR AS should be Biology OR Chemistry, obviously at grade A.

If you only have 1 of Biology OR Chemistry you need to also have either:

Biology OR Chemistry at AS level

OR

Biology OR Chemistry OR Dual Award GCSE at Grade A

So that seems to mean that if you have a minimum of:

3 A levels at Grade A
    1 AS in Biology OR Chemistry at Grade A,
    plus GCSE Biology OR Chemistry OR Dual Award Science at Grade A,

then they will consider your application.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.