Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean87)
    i would take chemistry AS, then if you dont get in, take the A2 in your gap year. making sure you explain to the med schools in a letter or such why you didnt take it straight away. im sure your school will understand how important it is for you to do chemistry if you set up a meeting with them and parents to discuss why you need to be in the class
    Thanks a lot

I was really thinking of just applying to foundation med & the few 5 yr courses that don't ask for chemistry...

Do you think i'd be better of using an extra year to sit chemistry or applying to foundation years? I am just itching to go to uni and it's very annoying that I can't do what I want in 2 normal years. Just not sure which route to take really if I can't do As chem next year!

What subjects are you doing, assuming your interested in medicine too? Or already at uni? (I don't know) :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Oh right! nice

Biology, History, English Literature & Philosophy.

and

A* AAAAAA B CCC (mixed feelings about my grades lol :\ )
    I did philosophy briefly, swapped it for politics, way too 'off the wall' for me lol. as long as your higher grades are in maths, english and science it should be fine!

May have to just pick up Chem at AS next year. Don't really want to do the full A2 and stay on a 3rd year as I'm already 19, I'm getting on a bit! Would be classed as a mature student if I did that and then went onto uni.
    Does anyone know what would happen with predicted grades and UCAS when doing Chem AS in 2nd year? because obviously, I won't have one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhSoRetro)
    I did philosophy briefly, swapped it for politics, way too 'off the wall' for me lol. as long as your higher grades are in maths, english and science it should be fine!

May have to just pick up Chem at AS next year. Don't really want to do the full A2 and stay on a 3rd year as I'm already 19, I'm getting on a bit! Would be classed as a mature student if I did that and then went onto uni.
    Does anyone know what would happen with predicted grades and UCAS when doing Chem AS in 2nd year? because obviously, I won't have one!
    Well I think you tell your school your plans and they give you a prediction based on your As results, gcse's and performance in other classes. You can just beg them to at least make it a B also and be really nice and hope they give you a good one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Thanks a lot

I was really thinking of just applying to foundation med & the few 5 yr courses that don't ask for chemistry...

Do you think i'd be better of using an extra year to sit chemistry or applying to foundation years? I am just itching to go to uni and it's very annoying that I can't do what I want in 2 normal years. Just not sure which route to take really if I can't do As chem next year!

What subjects are you doing, assuming your interested in medicine too? Or already at uni? (I don't know) :p:
    i would advise against the foundation personally. if i were you, i would apply to these med schools that dont need chemistry this year. if you dont get in (quite likely remember, its not easy to get into med school), then take the A2 in your gap year, get work experience, earn some money etc. then apply again. dont be too hasty to go uni, assuming you're 17/18 you're young, and have time. a gap year flys by

i've done maths, chemistry and human biology A2. didnt get into med school last year so re-applying. if i dont get in this time i dont know what the **** im gonna do

ReputationRep:
    i would advise against the foundation personally. if i were you, i would apply to these med schools that dont need chemistry this year. if you dont get in (quite likely remember, its not easy to get into med school), then take the A2 in your gap year, get work experience, earn some money etc. then apply again. dont be too hasty to go uni, assuming you're 17/18 you're young, and have time. a gap year flys by

i've done maths, chemistry and human biology A2. didnt get into med school last year so re-applying. if i dont get in this time i dont know what the **** im gonna do
    well your UKCAT is certainly high and so are your grades so you definitely are in good stead......What work exp have you got, if you don't mind me asking all these questions, hehe!

Good luck for medicine this time round

ReputationRep:
    its a bit of a lottery, but im hoping this year will be good. i sent a letter to med schools explaining my circumstances so i feel good about the application

work experience - a week in paediatrics ward at local hospital & 8 months as a volunteer in A&E

ReputationRep:
    work experience - a week in paediatrics ward at local hospital & 8 months as a volunteer in A&E
    Ooooh what's it like volunteering in A&E?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Ooooh what's it like volunteering in A&E?
    good fun. i dont think it would be a choice of specialty for me, but i liked it alot. never knew what you were gonna get. just a shame i couldnt do much hands on with patients. more handing suturing equipment to a doctor and watching, and just chatting to them. i didnt feel i was of much help, but was a good experience.

not a fan of drunk patients. im sure i'll have to get used to that in due course

ReputationRep:
    good fun. i dont think it would be a choice of specialty for me, but i liked it alot. never knew what you were gonna get. just a shame i couldnt do much hands on with patients. more handing suturing equipment to a doctor and watching, and just chatting to them. i didnt feel i was of much help, but was a good experience.

not a fan of drunk patients. im sure i'll have to get used to that in due course
    Ah cool, sounds fun. Anything else you got to do apart from handing equipment? I'd imagine A&E differs to normal volunteering which was pharmacy runs and handing out food, etc...

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool, sounds fun. Anything else you got to do apart from handing equipment? I'd imagine A&E differs to normal volunteering which was pharmacy runs and handing out food, etc...
    it was mainly re-assuring patients, being a friendly face etc. i felt i was less volunteering more a fly on the wall. as an experience of A&E it was perfect. as a chance to help people it was rubbish

what did you do for experience

ReputationRep:
    it was mainly re-assuring patients, being a friendly face etc. i felt i was less volunteering more a fly on the wall. as an experience of A&E it was perfect. as a chance to help people it was rubbish

what did you do for experience
    A week just on general wards
    A week in a lab, which made me want to shoot myself
    A week shadowing in ENT
    A day in an Immunology clinic

What are the hours like in A&E volunteering then? Did they ever make you do a night shift?

ReputationRep:
    A week just on general wards
    A week in a lab, which made me want to shoot myself
    A week shadowing in ENT
    A day in an Immunology clinic

What are the hours like in A&E volunteering then? Did they ever make you do a night shift?
    Oh so you got in without long term placement? So it's not as much of a big deal as people seem to make it out to be, although i'm sure it helps a lot. There was me thinking I'd need years of the stuff! Gah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Oh so you got in without long term placement? So it's not as much of a big deal as people seem to make it out to be, although i'm sure it helps a lot. There was me thinking I'd need years of the stuff! Gah.
    It's not really the amount of time you spend on it that matters, have a read.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really the amount of time you spend on it that matters, have a read.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    I'm also in year 12 and was thinking of picking up chem as an extra As along with 3 A2's? My school said they don't advise it or let many people do it as they prefer them to concentrate on their other exams. Do many people take up an extra As in year 13? I don't want to end up doing it and miss the A2 grades because of it! I know if you work hard it's probably possible but even so I don't want to do it if it's going to make me miss the grades....?
    Since you are in year 12 should you not be doing AS at the moment? I think that... if you truly want to do medicine then you should go for it, think about it, if you are going to apply next year how many medical schools can you apply to that does not specify chemistry as a compulsory subject?

You are right in saying that if you work hard its possible; i actually got bbbcc during my first sitting at AS in june, and i had to redo the whole of AS and A2 during year 13; so from personal experience i would say what you are proposing is certainly do-able, but whether you have the drive or motivation to do it is really up to you to decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billykwok)
    Since you are in year 12 should you not be doing AS at the moment? I think that... if you truly want to do medicine then you should go for it, think about it, if you are going to apply next year how many medical schools can you apply to that does not specify chemistry as a compulsory subject?

You are right in saying that if you work hard its possible; i actually got bbbcc during my first sitting at AS in june, and i had to redo the whole of AS and A2 during year 13; so from personal experience i would say what you are proposing is certainly do-able, but whether you have the drive or motivation to do it is really up to you to decide.
    Yeh, what you say is true.

You yourself obviously have a lot of motivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Yeh, what you say is true.

You yourself obviously have a lot of motivation.
    lol i have wanted to be a medic wayy before my GCSE's.. its just that i bummed around during AS and realized that i am screwed if i don't start working harder... and now that i am in university with exams coming up in 3 weeks time i am kinda having the same realization again =)

but you should definitely work hard, give your dream all you have got!!! (so you won't regret it in 30 years time and say to yourself.. maybe i should have worked harder and things could have turned out differently)

ReputationRep:
    lol i have wanted to be a medic wayy before my GCSE's.. its just that i bummed around during AS and realized that i am screwed if i don't start working harder... and now that i am in university with exams coming up in 3 weeks time i am kinda having the same realization again =)

but you should definitely work hard, give your dream all you have got!!! (so you won't regret it in 30 years time and say to yourself.. maybe i should have worked harder and things could have turned out differently)
    I definitely feel like that sometimes too..
    with my GCSE's I had problems at home and around the time, and I felt so low I decided i'd give up on medicine because I'm not good enough. That in turn just made me feel like crap and unfortunately I didn't do that well in exams, not as well as I was predicted or should have. If only i'd have kept that motivation the whole way through year 10/11.

I did hope that I could overcome those GCSE grades by getting good grades and subjects for As. But now of course I can't even do chemistry in year 12 it's looking quite bleak, my options are so limited and its making me stress so much.

ReputationRep:
    have you considered applying to irish universities; its not worth applying to places like trinity unless you have 4a's; but with some others like the royal college of surgeons or university college dublin you only need aab or so... its worth considering - if you have any questions about the application process just pm me

ReputationRep:
    have you considered applying to irish universities; its not worth applying to places like trinity unless you have 4a's; but with some others like the royal college of surgeons or university college dublin you only need aab or so... its worth considering - if you have any questions about the application process just pm me
    Billy, do you not have to have 4A's for all med schools in Ireland, especially royal college of surgeons? I'm not doubting what you're saying, I'm just curious

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.