Turn on thread page Beta

Newcastle A106 (5 year) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Billy, do you not have to have 4A's for all med schools in Ireland, especially royal college of surgeons? I'm not doubting what you're saying, I'm just curious
    haha nono; in fact i know a few people in my year who got AABB at their A levels and they are in trinity now. Out of all the irish medical schools trinity demands the highest grades (and is top of the universities ranking tables), the others usually want AAB.

Having said that, i think UCD actually have better teaching facilities and their course is more structured, but obviously trinity has a higher international reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billykwok)
    haha nono; in fact i know a few people in my year who got AABB at their A levels and they are in trinity now. Out of all the irish medical schools trinity demands the highest grades (and is top of the universities ranking tables), the others usually want AAB.

Having said that, i think UCD actually have better teaching facilities and their course is more structured, but obviously trinity has a higher international reputation.
    Thanks for your reply mate! You don't know if any take re-sits by any chance ? I quite fancied studying at RCSI, if I don't get in for undergrad this year, I might try RCSI for GEP. Did you have to do UKCAT for Irish med schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean87)
    i would advise against the foundation personally. if i were you, i would apply to these med schools that dont need chemistry this year. if you dont get in (quite likely remember, its not easy to get into med school), then take the A2 in your gap year, get work experience, earn some money etc. then apply again. dont be too hasty to go uni, assuming you're 17/18 you're young, and have time. a gap year flys by
    What factors have brought you to that conclusion if you don't mind me asking? :o: I'd be interested in your thoughts seeing as I'm also in year 12 with only Biology as a science at AS, and kind of thought that doing a foundation year would be more beneficial than taking up AS Chemistry next year? Can anyone else guide me on this? Aaah, confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    What factors have brought you to that conclusion if you don't mind me asking? :o: I'd be interested in your thoughts seeing as I'm also in year 12 with only Biology as a science at AS, and kind of thought that doing a foundation year would be more beneficial than taking up AS Chemistry next year? Can anyone else guide me on this? Aaah, confusion.
    I have the same problem as you. I wanted to apply to foundation instead of taking up As chem next year but now i'm not so sure!

what other subjects are you doing ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    I have the same problem as you. I wanted to apply to foundation instead of taking up As chem next year but now i'm not so sure!

what other subjects are you doing ?
    I'm glad there are other people on the same boat. Psychology, History and English Literature, you?
    I've also just found out, after a quick look on the KCL website, that they've withdrawn their foundation year medicine course for 2009 entry.
    Have you had any advice on the foundation year vs. chemistry AS dilemma? It's frustrating, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad there are other people on the same boat. Psychology, History and English Literature, you?
    I've also just found out, after a quick look on the KCL website, that they've withdrawn their foundation year medicine course for 2009 entry.
    Have you had any advice on the foundation year vs. chemistry AS dilemma? It's frustrating, isn't it?
    no advice no!

history, english lit and philosophy. so same as you almost
    what were ur gcse's ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    no advice no!

history, english lit and philosophy. so same as you almost
    what were ur gcse's ?
    3 A*'s, 3 A's and 4 B's. 3 of my B's were in Maths and Double Science, though. :/ How about you? Are you gonna try and get some work experience etc. btw? Or would it not be expected from us if we apply for foundation year, d'you think..?

ReputationRep:
    Retrospect has no science A levels, so foundation year is a good idea. Jinxy from what i remember has biology, and from what i thought you cant really apply for foundation medicine if you have taken any science A levels.

another thing against the foundation is that its much more competitive to get into and costs ALOT more than a gap year (where you might make money)

ReputationRep:
    fyi though, this is just my opinion

ReputationRep:
    3 A*'s, 3 A's and 4 B's. 3 of my B's were in Maths and Double Science, though. :/ How about you? Are you gonna try and get some work experience etc. btw? Or would it not be expected from us if we apply for foundation year, d'you think..?
    yikes? what! foundation year is harder to enter than normal medicine! We need more work exp than usual! :eek:

i got A* AAAAAA B CCC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    yikes? what! foundation year is harder to enter than normal medicine! We need more work exp than usual! :eek:

i got A* AAAAAA B CCC
    Oh, sorry.. I just assumed that because it's foundation they'll go a (little bit) easier on us because we presumably haven't set out to study medicine for 2+ years? Idk, i'm obv wrong though.

Btw, I do take a science; Biology.

ReputationRep:
    Retrospect has no science A levels, so foundation year is a good idea. Jinxy from what i remember has biology, and from what i thought you cant really apply for foundation medicine if you have taken any science A levels.

another thing against the foundation is that its much more competitive to get into and costs ALOT more than a gap year (where you might make money)
    From what i've seen it's up to one science A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    From what i've seen it's up to one science A-Level.
    ok well i think both of you girls really need to do some research and find out exactly whats what. that includes contacting the med schools for exact requirements. i assume you're applying next year as the deadline was back on oct 15th for 2009 entry...

and im pretty sure its much more competitive to get into foundation medicine. you will need lots of work experience just like us 5yr applicants. and you will want to get straight A's in your A2's as nowadays alot of med schools are asking for AAA instead of AAB

ReputationRep:
    ok well i think both of you girls really need to do some research and find out exactly whats what. that includes contacting the med schools for exact requirements. i assume you're applying next year as the deadline was back on oct 15th for 2009 entry...

and im pretty sure its much more competitive to get into foundation medicine. you will need lots of work experience just like us 5yr applicants. and you will want to get straight A's in your A2's as nowadays alot of med schools are asking for AAA instead of AAB
    :p:
    I have done my research, I've emailed and looked at prospectuses for entry this year (I'll be applying next year). Bristol, for e.g., say they'll take you on the foundation course as long as you don't have Chemistry A-Level. I s'pose there must be a couple who don't want any? I'm not sure, maybe I should be doing more research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)

i got A* AAAAAA B CCC
    In general you are allowed to apply for a foundation course if you only have 1 or less than 1 science A level/ equivalent qualification

Just off the top of my head i do recall cardiff, sheffield, dundee, manchester, kings college london and east anglia offering foundation medicine - have a look at their prospectus/ medical school web site should be easy enough to find out whether you are allow to apply for the foundation course or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Thanks for your reply mate! You don't know if any take re-sits by any chance ? I quite fancied studying at RCSI, if I don't get in for undergrad this year, I might try RCSI for GEP. Did you have to do UKCAT for Irish med schools?
    they introduced a system this year, its call the Health Professional Admission Test - similar to the UKCAT; i was really lucky i missed it by one year :rolleyes: this is the web site for it:
    http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/

Could i ask what do u mean by trying RCSI for GEP? - you mean in three years time when you finish another BSc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billykwok)
    they introduced a system this year, its call the Health Professional Admission Test - similar to the UKCAT; i was really lucky i missed it by one year :rolleyes: this is the web site for it:
    http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/

Could i ask what do u mean by trying RCSI for GEP? - you mean in three years time when you finish another BSc?
    Cheers for the link. Yeah, if I don't get into med school this year, I'm going to do a neuroscience BSc and then do GEP med, and RCSI looks pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)

i got A* AAAAAA B CCC
    hey again

you thought anymore about what you're going to do ? in terms of chem AS or foundation ? lol it's so hard!

someone said about irish med schools, think i might look into that lol. :yep:
    EDIT: ok irish ones look like a no go!
    need a plan B! lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2008
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.