The Student Room Group

University choice

I am currently filling the UCAS application form, applying for 2023 entry in computer science undergraduate course. I have top 8 GCSE grades and predicted grades for A -level is A* in all 4 subjects - Math, FM, Physics and Computing. I am definitely applying to Oxford and Imperial , but cannot make decision on rest of the 3 choices. Universities I would like to apply is UCL, Warwick and Manchester ( all require at least A* A* ) . What do you guys think about this choices? Are they realistic choices or Should I keep University like Bristol ( Which requires A* AA) as a safe option? I am showing some work experience and basic knowledge of programming and projects in the personal statement. Please guide
Reply 1
I would not leave bristol as an insurance/safe option, that should be a uni you're almost guaranteed to get an offer from which i don't think is the case with bristol.

With comp sci especially (given how absurdly competitive at top unis) i wouldn't risk going that high for all 5 choices in the fear you end up with 0 offers.

@artful_lounger might be able to give better advice on where else is good to apply for
Original post by Mathew123*
I am currently filling the UCAS application form, applying for 2023 entry in computer science undergraduate course. I have top 8 GCSE grades and predicted grades for A -level is A* in all 4 subjects - Math, FM, Physics and Computing. I am definitely applying to Oxford and Imperial , but cannot make decision on rest of the 3 choices. Universities I would like to apply is UCL, Warwick and Manchester ( all require at least A* A* ) . What do you guys think about this choices? Are they realistic choices or Should I keep University like Bristol ( Which requires A* AA) as a safe option? I am showing some work experience and basic knowledge of programming and projects in the personal statement. Please guide

Remember that you don't have to hurry your final choices. You can apply with, say, 2 now and add your others any time before the deadline for equal consideration.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Remember that you don't have to hurry your final choices. You can apply with, say, 2 now and add your others any time before the deadline for equal consideration.

Thank you. That's really good idea
Reply 4
Original post by Skiwi
I would not leave bristol as an insurance/safe option, that should be a uni you're almost guaranteed to get an offer from which i don't think is the case with bristol.

With comp sci especially (given how absurdly competitive at top unis) i wouldn't risk going that high for all 5 choices in the fear you end up with 0 offers.

@artful_lounger might be able to give better advice on where else is good to apply for

Thank you for reply. Really appreciate your time. I think your advise do make sense.
Reply 5
Original post by Skiwi

Though I understand, about the competition.why would you say that Bristol is not a safe option for a student who is able to show his academic competence through predicted 4 A* grades at A-level and at GCSE grade. On what basis will I get rejected?
Reply 6
Original post by Mathew123*
Though I understand, about the competition.why would you say that Bristol is not a safe option for a student who is able to show his academic competence through predicted 4 A* grades at A-level and at GCSE grade. On what basis will I get rejected?

Meeting the minimum entry requirements does not guarantee an offer, and as far as know Bristol is infamous at rejecting people.

My advice is to have one at least one uni that you almost 100% know you'll get an offer from.
Reply 7
Original post by Skiwi
Meeting the minimum entry requirements does not guarantee an offer, and as far as know Bristol is infamous at rejecting people.

My advice is to have one at least one uni that you almost 100% know you'll get an offer fro

So What is the criteria to look for when choosing this type of university- lower Grades like AAB or ABB?
Could you give example of such university ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending