Turn on thread page Beta

Is it safe to exercise when you're not well? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have laryngitis.
    And aside from the fact that i can't talk, and my throat feels like it's on fire..
    I feel fine in every other way.. like i don't have any cold symptoms or anything.. all my symptoms are literally just in my throat.

Is it safe to go to the gym or should i be waiting til i'm better?

ReputationRep:
    Should be ok. The only time I've ever had a problem is when I had a cold or virus.

ReputationRep:
    you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_88)
    I have laryngitis.
    And aside from the fact that i can't talk, and my throat feels like it's on fire..
    I feel fine in every other way.. like i don't have any cold symptoms or anything.. all my symptoms are literally just in my throat.

Is it safe to go to the gym or should i be waiting til i'm better?
    It's 'safe' the only thing you risk doing is weakening your immune system further (which means it could take even longer to get over your sore throat and get back to full health).

ReputationRep:
    Unless I was literally held down in an operating theatre having my legs re-attached, I would still go to the gym. Unless it's upper day, inwhich case a light drizzle is enough to put me off.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's fine as its just inflamed vocal cords. You shouldn't exercise too intensely if at all if you have a virus as it puts too much pressure on the heart. But you're okay.

ReputationRep:
    It's safe to go to the gym if you have a sore throat.

ReputationRep:
    I would say no, to be on the safe side...I always thought it was weird (even though I appreciated getting off games!) when my mum'd say I couldn't do games at school when I'd come back from having a heavy cold or something, but it can actually be very dangerous - she's a nurse and my dad's a doctor and they've known of people drop dead simply from doing exercise when they're ill. It's not really worth the risk, and, besides, you're not going to be helping your recovery as you'll be putting more strain and stress on your already stressed and strained body. Rest up and get better before you undertake any exercise.

ReputationRep:
    So glad you made this thread OP.

I'm sick as a puppy at the moment. I'm okay lying down but when I sit up the room spins (and standing is practically unbearable). My temp is sky high even though the heating is off. All I could manage to eat yesterday was three mouthfulls of bran flakes. I had to pour the rest down the toilet. I (stupidly) dragged on my gym kit and got my home weights out. I forced myself to do a 5 min warm-up on the crosstrainer then I started doing some reps with the weights. It literally felt like I was going to faint. I had waves of what I could only describe felt like 'static electricity' going through me. I couldn't go on with the workout.

Feel like a fookin looser.

I'll try and make up for it today.

ReputationRep:
    If you felt like you were going to faint and were that horribly ill yesterday why on earth are you wanting to work out today?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    If you felt like you were going to faint and were that horribly ill yesterday why on earth are you wanting to work out today?!?!
    I feel uber guilty. I dont want it to get to one week with no workout.

It really plays on my mind.

ReputationRep:
    I would say no, to be on the safe side...I always thought it was weird (even though I appreciated getting off games!) when my mum'd say I couldn't do games at school when I'd come back from having a heavy cold or something, but it can actually be very dangerous - she's a nurse and my dad's a doctor and they've known of people drop dead simply from doing exercise when they're ill. It's not really worth the risk, and, besides, you're not going to be helping your recovery as you'll be putting more strain and stress on your already stressed and strained body. Rest up and get better before you undertake any exercise.
    Uuhh, what were the conditions of the people and how exactly did they die? I can't say I've ever dropped dead before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)

Ditto. Plays on my mind too! I've not been to the gym for about 4 days now.. and i feel SO guilty, not to mention rather bored! So i'm making myself to go this evening.

ReputationRep:
    It's a well-known fact that exercising when recovering from, say, a virus such as flu, can cause you to suffer a heart attack.

People saying they feel bad about not exercising when they're unwell - it's a pretty worrying attitude...it's almost akin to anorexia. You should exercise in order to improve your health - and if you exercise while you're ill you certainly won't be doing that. Common sense, people.

ReputationRep:
    It's a well-known fact that exercising when recovering from, say, a virus such as flu, can cause you to suffer a heart attack.

People saying they feel bad about not exercising when they're unwell - it's a pretty worrying attitude...it's almost akin to anorexia. You should exercise in order to improve your health - and if you exercise while you're ill you certainly won't be doing that. Common sense, people.
    But when it's just limited to your throat.. of course i'm going to feel guilty.. i have all this excess energy and nothing to do but sit in bed bored.. my body clock is messed up because i'm not remotely tired because i'm doing anything. Talking must take up a lot of energy :p:

I wouldn't go to the gym with flu.. but i'd definitely consider it with a bit of a cold!

I just wanted to know if in theory it was safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    Feel like a fookin looser.
    No you don't. You're body is telling you it wants a break. You aren't going to put on flab or anything if you have 3 days off. Do you really want to be sick for longer? If so hop on the x-trainer; if not - get back into bed with a hot water bottle, have a hot honey and lemon with some root ginger in and REST. SLEEP. CHILL OUT. Treat yourself to some soup or something; it's NOT going to kill you - but your x-trainer might....

I'll try and make up for it today.
    Don't be so fookin stupid. STAY IN BED. You sound very ill and you also have a blocked head; which is why you are spinning. Put on some DVDs and rest. Or I'll ban you :p:

(Original post by Tufts)

It is recommended that you have a week off once in a while. Give you body chance to really mend itself. You won't put on any weight as you exercise and eat clean anyway. I've just had a week off, eaten some rubbish and feel great. I went for a run today and had an awesome session that felt easier than when I did it last Saturday. There is no harm in having some down time. Treat yourself; no one will judge you. I started to get an injury which was my body telling me to stop. You are ill which is your body telling you to stop. So listen to it and don't disobey, or you'll end up missing more than week.....

ReputationRep:
    I felt a bit ill before going to the gym on friday, like I was coming down with a cold, got to the end of my workout, and threw up! Luckily I'd made it to the toilets. OP I would say give it a few days and when you're feeling better get back into it. Have you talked to you GP about it when you got diagnosed?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'd never heard of it happening before and after a cursory search of Google I still haven't heard of it happening. Can you post any links to examples? I don't like stuff that's common knowledge but never actually happens. I think it's gay.

You should exercise in order to improve your health
    **** that ****. I exercise to get strong.

ReputationRep:
    So well known that I have never heard of it. Sounds like a crock of **** if you ask me.

Common sense tells us that if you're recovering from an illness you don't want to push as hard as you normally would because your body isn't in the best condition to perform to its maximum capacity, but that doesn't mean exercise is out of the question.

ReputationRep:
    Exercise when you're suffering from a virus can cause the virus to enter the pericardium, which could lead to heart failure. It's basic physiology. If it's a bacterial infection, you've not got that risk, but vigorous exercise will lower your immunity, meaning it will take you longer to recover and you're putting yourself at risk of contracting further infections.

Plus, common sense tells you not to make yourself more dehydrated than you already are when you're suffering from an infection. It's pig ignorant to exercise and get your temperature up and make yourself even more dehydrated when you've already got a lack of fluids.

If you can't go for a few days, for the sake of your health, without exercising because you're so worried about your weight (even though you'll probably be losing weight whilst you're ill) or because you're so obsessed with your muscles then that's rather worrying and you should get some perspective.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.