The Student Room Group

just started spanish a level and losing my confidence

i have just started my spanish a level and have been losing a lot of the confidence i built up over my gcse course. i’m aiming to study languages at uni but the beginning of this course has been stressing me out quite a bit.

there are three other people in my class, and two of them are native speakers and i feel very intimidated when we are doing speaking exercises or discussing our answers.

for other people who have struggled with this or are struggling with this, is there anything to lessen the effects of this or build up my confidence? i already spend quite a lot of time revising spanish and doing language immersion.
If you're in Y12 then it is not too late to switch courses if you don't feel like you'll get a good grade. There are language classes at universities that you can take while doing a non-language degree, so not all hope is lost :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kerberder
i have just started my spanish a level and have been losing a lot of the confidence i built up over my gcse course. i’m aiming to study languages at uni but the beginning of this course has been stressing me out quite a bit.

there are three other people in my class, and two of them are native speakers and i feel very intimidated when we are doing speaking exercises or discussing our answers.

for other people who have struggled with this or are struggling with this, is there anything to lessen the effects of this or build up my confidence? i already spend quite a lot of time revising spanish and doing language immersion.

This happened to my youngest daughter at the start of her A level German course. There were two native speakers in the class and she felt so far behind them and lost her confidence. She knuckled down and found that she was actually better than both native speakers at the grammar and literature/film parts of the course. She's now reading German at Oxford. Keep pressing in, work hard and don't let their spoken fluency in Spanish knock your confidence. Studying languages is so much more than the spoken elements. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Debs25
This happened to my youngest daughter at the start of her A level German course. There were two native speakers in the class and she felt so far behind them and lost her confidence. She knuckled down and found that she was actually better than both native speakers at the grammar and literature/film parts of the course. She's now reading German at Oxford. Keep pressing in, work hard and don't let their spoken fluency in Spanish knock your confidence. Studying languages is so much more than the spoken elements. Good luck!

thank you so much for this response - it was exactly the reassurance i need and i really appreciate it! it’s so easy to get caught up in the speaking and forget the other parts. i hope it’s going well for her at oxford!
Original post by kerberder

Hey,
I could very much relate to how you're feeling right now. When I started Spanish A Level two years ago, I felt really out of my depth. The main difference is that within the class of three, none of us were native speakers. However, for a while I did feel inferior compared to the other two girls in my class at the time. The best thing to do is to try and befriend the other people in your class- I started reaching out to my fellow classmates and they're now some of my closest friends. It's easy to forget that studying a language isn't just based on speaking ability alone. I can understand that it can be very intimidating but if you're genuinely passionate about studying languages (and it seems that you are, since you want to study it further at uni), then I think you should perservere. There must be an aspect of Spanish where you're better at compared to the two native speakers. Try and think of it as some friendly competition. If they're decent people I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help out.

I'm currently on a gap year and I hold an offer to study Spanish and beginners' French at uni. I'm very much aware that there may be people who have a better grasp of the French language compared to me, who's never really studied it before. If you have any questions about studying languages and what it may be like, I'd be more than happy to help.

Please don't give up at the first hurdle. I assure you that as time passes, you'll ease into the course. The first term is especially difficult but I promise that you'll get used to the change in pace and style of teaching.
Wishing you all the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending