The Student Room Group

Is going to your graduation self-congratulatory?

Pretty much as above. I didn't go to my bachelor's graduation, and I most likely won't go to my master's one either. Doesn't it just represent an opportunity for us to pat ourselves on the backs for achieving something that isn't that impressive? I'm sure these degrees were no more difficult than four years of regular work would have been. This is most likely one of my very many cold takes, but I would like to hear what people think.
(edited 1 year ago)
Not always.
Some people only attend their graduation ceremonies because it is an event that their relatives or partner want to enjoy attending with them.
Particularly where their family members did not study at uni themselves or have made significant financial sacrifices for their education & happiness over the years.

I've not been to any of my graduation ceremonies, undergrad or postgrad.
The only photograph I have of my baby era was taken at one of my parents graduation ceremonies, with me under a year old posed in cap& gown.
Some of my friends like to joke that I was a baby graduate and gave up going to graduation ceremonies after being photographed with my dummy but no teddy bear in sight.
I mean, in my case, attending my undergrad graduation was my big "two fingers up" to my uni and trying to instill some pride in myself that I survived and made it out with some kinda classification (I very nearly didn't). My logic for attending my fake Masters graduation ceremony (at the same uni) was "well they didn't give me the 2.1 that I feel I could have got in other circumstances, so I'll take their fake MA and run with it!" :biggrin:

So I guess in my case it was very self-congratulatory :yep: As has been said, often people do it for family reasons (be that pressure/expectations, etc.)
Original post by londonmyst
Not always.
Some people only attend their graduation ceremonies because it is an event that their relatives or partner want to enjoy attending with them.
Particularly where their family members did not study at uni themselves or have made significant financial sacrifices for their education & happiness over the years.

I've not been to any of my graduation ceremonies, undergrad or postgrad.
The only photograph I have of my baby era was taken at one of my parents graduation ceremonies, with me under a year old posed in cap& gown.
Some of my friends like to joke that I was a baby graduate and gave up going to graduation ceremonies after being photographed with my dummy but no teddy bear in sight.

This is an interesting point. Nobody in my family has a degree, and my parents paid a lot to ensure I could afford my expensive (£18.5k) master's. I guess I feel that my grades betray the actual effort I put in, and I should quietly take my certificate before they realise I don't deserve it.

Perhaps they would like to go. I should probably ask them.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I mean, in my case, attending my undergrad graduation was my big "two fingers up" to my uni and trying to instill some pride in myself that I survived and made it out with some kinda classification (I very nearly didn't). My logic for attending my fake Masters graduation ceremony (at the same uni) was "well they didn't give me the 2.1 that I feel I could have got in other circumstances, so I'll take their fake MA and run with it!" :biggrin:

So I guess in my case it was very self-congratulatory :yep: As has been said, often people do it for family reasons (be that pressure/expectations, etc.)

Fake Masters graduation?!?!
Reply 5
I went for my Ma & Da. But I don't think it is really self congratulatory etc. I just think it is a fuss, which is why I can't really be arsed.
Reply 6
Original post by Nagromicous

MA is an academic rank in Oxon, not a degree.
No, but even if it was, what's wrong with congratulating yourself from time to time?
Original post by ROTL94 3
No, but even if it was, what's wrong with congratulating yourself from time to time?

Nothing, if you did something worthy (in your eyes) of congratulation. :biggrin:
Original post by Nagromicous

In Oxbridge, the status of Master of Arts can be be conferred upon their own undergrad alumni who apply and pay the fee after a fixed number of terms post matriculation- with no need for any further study or exams.
I think for Uni of Oxford the timespan is 21 academic terms after matriculation.

Quick Reply