Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm new to playing and currently in a small band playing drums. Never had a lesson in my life. I seem fine with everything else. I'm just wondering, is there any particular technique used in drum rolls?

I can't seem to do the longer ones (sorry I hardly know any terminology)

What works for you?

ReputationRep:
    Tip: Start off slowly. Just doing a simple LRLRLRLRLRLR, repeat it loads of times gradually building up speed. Build the speed up of the LRLRLRLRLRL..... to the point where you can't go any faster. At that point return to the speed you're comfortable with and repeat that for a while.

Speed up again etc....

Also, make your strokes very "eccentric" and wild bringing your sticks up to more than a 45 degree angle to the drums - When doing it slowly. When doing it fast you have permission to make hard little strokes

Cool

Thanks dude

I'll do when I can get near the drums again lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Cool

Thanks dude

I'll do when I can get near the drums again lol
    No problemo.

I felt like a tit doing the accentuated strokes but it really helps to get the initial technique right.

(Original post by Olibert)
    No problemo.

I felt like a tit doing the accentuated strokes but it really helps to get the initial technique right.
    Lol dont worry, the onlt time i ever get to practice is in a room with at least 3 other people so dw

ReputationRep:
    My friend plays the drums for our church music group and he's always being told off for not holding the drum sticks properly! So make sure you do that

(Original post by Redpanda91)
    My friend plays the drums for our church music group and he's always being told off for not holding the drum sticks properly! So make sure you do that
    Lol

I hate the 'standard' technique to hold the stick, its not comfy, but is good though

Same for traditional

If you understand that lol

ReputationRep:
    Generally the more you play the more you find what works most comfortably and flexibly for you, I like a cultural mixture of German and French grips but it depends what you're playing.

Definitely agree with practice, start nice and slow with a metronome and build it up from there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.