Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Some nice lifts there.. Good to see some proper squats, so many 1/4 / 1/8 squatters in the gym I go to.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks.

Updated original post with links to previous blogs.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

115 x 5
    115 x 5
    115 x 5

Got all the reps this time. Was experimenting with the bounce/rebound and it's quite a bit easier utilising it. I can also get a fraction of extra depth as well, which is a bonus.

Bench press:

65 x 5
    65 x 5
    65 x 5

Hard.

Power cleans:

65 x 3
    65 x 3
    65 x 3
    65 x 3
    65 x 3

A few missed catches but I am sure I got all the reps. These are making much more sense now that I'm using a heavier weight that forces me to be explosive.

Finished with some chins, various grips.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good session tonight.

Squats:

117.5 x 5
    117.5 x 5
    117.5 x 5

Making use of the bounce again. Full ass to grass squats, the way they should be. I find these much easier on the knees than than just slightly under parallel squats. Also, much faster as well, which helps with athletic performance.

Press:

45 x 5
    45 x 5
    45 x 5

These were very hard. I don't want to anticipate a stall since I don't want to think negatively, but realistically I don't think I'll be able to write in the March review of my training that I'm still progressing linearly in them.

Deadlifts:

150 x 5

Off the floor PB! Also puts my estimated 1RM to 175kg. My previous PB from the summer is 165kg, with a few kilos more bodyweight.

I also hurted my finger on these. At the end of the first rep when lowering the bar it bounced up and stubbed my finger or something. Didn't really feel it until I started to unload the plates.

Finished with some abs.

Review of February's training:

Squat gain - can't really say since I've switched from low bar to high bar Olympic style, but at least 7.5kg

Deadlift gain - 30kg, and an all time PB. Deadlifts have really progressed well this last month, very pleased here. Initially I was scared of higher frequency deadlifts since they used to screw up my recovery for a while, but not any more.

Bench press gain - +7.5kg. Haven't really been all that consistent this month so hopping for more next month. This have always been my worst lift and in truth, even when I was at my peak last summer, I don't think I was doing much more. Remember repping 60 for 13 on an RE upper session, and a month or so ago before that struggling with 80 x 2. A 7.5kg gain over the next month would actually put me at a 5RM PR.

Press gain - 10kg. More than the bench. Again, not been very consistent this month so it's not a bad gain.

Power clean gain - not really sure since I never really got the hang of them until this month.

Goals for March:

Squat: 140kg 3x5
    Bench press: 75kg 3x5
    Deadlift: 170kg 1x5
    Press: 55kg 3x5
    Power clean: 80kg 5x3

Quite ambitious I think, but I haven't put on my belt for my worksets yet and that always helps a little. I think my clean will overtake my bench, since my legs and back are stronger than my shoulder girdle. Press ... well, I'll be lucky if I don't stall but gotta keep positive.

Deadlifts, ambitious since I'm already in all time PR territory but I still think I've got more to give, especially when I put on my belt. Squats are probably the most ambitious, but again I've not used my belt yet. I've done 140 x 5 before, using a slightly lower bar position, and with absolutely no rebound or stretch reflex either (three months of exclusively parallel box squatting and on your first session free squat session back, you won't be able to use your stretch reflex, I've learned).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Mixed session tonight.

Squats:

120 x 4

And that was it. Can't pinpoint exactly what went wrong, but I still have bad DOMS in my abs from Monday, and these also jacked up my right knee again. I don't think I was quite getting the rebound quite right, as when I do, I feel it more in my ass (no homo) and don't get any knee pain at all.

Bench press:

67.5 x 5
    67.5 x 5
    67.5 x 5

Good enough. Just 2.5kg more to go to equal an old 3x5 PR.

Power cleans:

70 x 3
    70 x 3
    70 x 3
    70 x 3
    70 x 3

As I expected, my power clean has overtaken my bench press. I'm stronger in my legs and back than my shoulder girdle anyway. These weren't too bad. A few missed catches in the last set but I got them all eventually. The missed catches were due to fatigue and my rest times weren't long enough.

Some chins to finish off.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your knees were caving in a bit or perhaps losing some tightness at the bottom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Mixed session tonight.

Squats:

120 x 4

And that was it. Can't pinpoint exactly what went wrong, but I still have bad DOMS in my abs from Monday, and these also jacked up my right knee again. I don't think I was quite getting the rebound quite right, as when I do, I feel it more in my ass (no homo) and don't get any knee pain at all.

Bench press:

67.5 x 5
    67.5 x 5
    67.5 x 5

Good enough. Just 2.5kg more to go to equal an old 3x5 PR.

Power cleans:

70 x 3
    70 x 3
    70 x 3
    70 x 3
    70 x 3

As I expected, my power clean has overtaken my bench press. I'm stronger in my legs and back than my shoulder girdle anyway. These weren't too bad. A few missed catches in the last set but I got them all eventually. The missed catches were due to fatigue and my rest times weren't long enough.

Some chins to finish off.
    We're squatting and dling about the same! :gthumb:

But your presses are lagging tio!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    SMed, probably. CNS felt fine today, but squats didn't.

Brotherhood, don't worry, I'll soon catch up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    We're squatting and dling about the same! :gthumb:

But your presses are lagging tio!
    I'm in a pretty much identical place except my OH press (and maybe my bench) are a little higher and my deadlift is ******* terrible.

ReputationRep:
    i feel like such a pussy, me doing 1x5 foratop weight, you guys doing 3x5 :teehee:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Mixed session tonight.

Front squats:

60 x 3
    65 x 3
    70 x 3
    75 x 3
    80 x 3

Not too difficult. Did these instead of back squats since I hadn't had much to eat today. My focus was also on the deadlift, since today I was in line to equal an all time 5 rep PR, set with a belt and off of bumper plates. So technically today would have been slightly better than that.

There was also some really weird guy wandering around the weights room. Was doing some really weird exercise where he squatted down and did upright rows. Did some really weird curls as well.

Press:

47.5 x 5
    47.5 x 4
    47.5 x 4

Disappointed here. Maybe it's because I hadn't eaten much, or because I just wasn't feeling it, but missed the last rep of the last two sets. Technique wasn't right either, I don't think.

Deadlifts:

155 x 5

These weren't pretty, perhaps even worse than Diesel Weasel, but I got them all. Happy, as this is a previous PR. I think I'll definitely don the belt next time, though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Brutal session tonight;

Squats:

120 x 5
    120 x 5
    120 x 5

Got them all this time. Form on some of the reps wasn't brilliant. Also, I think I might have deviated from proper Olympic form a little bit. These were slower than the 117.5s last week.

Bench press:

70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 3

Disappointed about missing the last 2 reps. Did these in a squat rack because a) we don't have a decent bench (one has squint uprights, and the other's j-hooks are so low you have to practically 1-board press it out) and b) the squat rack his pins to catch the bar if I fail badly.

Power cleans:

72.5 x 3
    72.5 x 3
    72.5 x 3
    72.5 x 3
    72.5 x 3

Some very nice looking reps and some pretty bad ones. I think I just need more practice.

Did some assisted chin ups to finish. Doing assisted because I can get more reps and thus more of a training effect.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good session tonight.

Squats:

122.5 x 5
    122.5 x 5
    122.5 x 5

Not too hard at all. I put my belt on for the first time in aaages and the GMing was much, much reduced. Felt so eager to get the next two sets done that my rest periods were only like 2-3 mins, lol. Damn I love my belt.

Press:

47.5 x 5
    47.5 x 5
    47.5 x 5

Got all the reps this time. Also wasn't as hard as last time.

Deadlifts:

160 x 5

Form was pretty atrocious. Lower back was rounding and everything. Was probably just too eager to get 160 up, which is also an all time PR for me. I'll have to pay better attention to my form next time, though. Maybe only make a 2.5kg jump.

Finished with some biceps curls and triceps pull downs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Good session tonight.

Squats:

122.5 x 5
    122.5 x 5
    122.5 x 5

Not too hard at all. I put my belt on for the first time in aaages and the GMing was much, much reduced. Felt so eager to get the next two sets done that my rest periods were only like 2-3 mins, lol. Damn I love my belt.

Press:

47.5 x 5
    47.5 x 5
    47.5 x 5

Got all the reps this time. Also wasn't as hard as last time.

Deadlifts:

160 x 5

Form was pretty atrocious. Lower back was rounding and everything. Was probably just too eager to get 160 up, which is also an all time PR for me. I'll have to pay better attention to my form next time, though. Maybe only make a 2.5kg jump.

Finished with some biceps curls and triceps pull downs.
    Nice progress, everything's going up nicely.

You might find it easier to recover, and progress will be faster if you start deadlifting only once a week and stick to 5kg jumps. If you carry on pulling every other session, you'll be pulling twice a week too often, and your progress will fall to about 15kg per month. If you pull just once a week at 5kg per week, you'll have more rest and recovery and you'll be increasing by 20kg a month.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That's a good point, thanks. Recovery isn't really that much of an issue at the moment (swole leg genetics), it's more form.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    OK, haven't managed to lift for a week because I had an electronics test today that I really had to revise for. The gym is an hour away from me in the bus, at least, plus waiting time for the bus, so as you can see, lifting takes a large chunk out of my day.

I have a rack, an Olympic barbell, plenty of plates and sum dumbbell handles in my garage, but it's been too cold to lift in there for a while, plus there has been absolutely no space to get them set up. Now that it's getting a bit warmer I'll have to clear out my garage and get the rack set up. I couldn't do deadlifts or power cleans there, though, due to flooring issues, but if I can get some squatting, pressing and rowing done in my garage it would be really useful when I'm busy with revision etc.

Not too brilliant a session tonight:

Squats:

125 x 5
    125 x 5
    125 x 5

Most of the reps weren't too hard. The harder ones were ones where I didn't get the bounce and rebound correct. Still got some more in me.

Bench press:

70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 4

One more rep than last time, but still frustrating. Had to use the crappy bench, the one with the uprights that are like a meter tall so you have to practically 1-board press the bar out of the j-hooks. Perhaps could have got all the reps had I not had to do a 1-board press at the start of each set.

Power cleans:

75 x 3
    75 x 3
    75 x 3

Couldn't do any more sets because for some reason I just couldn't catch and rack the bar. Tried to do some sets but they ended up being high pulls. Shame, I had some really good reps in the second set. Been 10 days since I did cleans, and I suppose it's easy to lose the feel of them...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good session tonight.

Squats:

127.5 x 5
    127.5 x 5
    127.5 x 5

Difficult.

Press:

50 x 5
    50 x 5
    50 x 4 + 2 push presses*

*First two sets weren't too difficult. Last set, for some reason, I used a very narrow grip, and by the fourth rep I couldn't get another one, so I push pressed it, then put re-racked it and used a slightly wider than normal grip for some strange reason, couldn't get it past my forehead so push pressed it as well. Think I'll sill progress to 52.5 next week as this was a silly reason to miss the last rep.

Also, this was my Christmas push press PB, except I did an extra set today...

Deadlifts:

165 x 5

These weren't actually as hard as the 160s were. I was paying more attention to form, and it paid off.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Somewhat disappointing session tonight.

Front squats:

80 x 3
    80 x 3
    80 x 3

Not difficult at all. Volume PB. Because my upper body is weak relative to my lower body, I feel much more strain trying to keep the weight secure on my delts, and keeping the back tight, than I do on squatting the weight.

Bench press:

70 x 4
    70 x 5
    70 x 5

Didn't think I had another rep in me on my first set, so I racked it. Think I'll reset the bench, since my form is getting a bit poor as well.

Power cleans:

75 x 1
    75 x 1
    75 x 2
    75 x 1
    75 x 1

Just wasn't feeling explosive tonight. Couldn't make the catch with these. Highly disappointing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    OK session tonight.

Squats:

130 x 5
    130 x 5
    130 x 5

Hard.

Press:

52.5 x 5
    52.5 x 4
    52.5 x 4

Hard. Disappointed about stalling on these again.

Kroc rows:

42.5kg dumbbell 2 x 10 each side

Did these because, and this is an extreme rarity, someone else was already deadlifting, and he was using all the plates! So I opted to use my next favourite back builder instead. These weren't too hard. My all time PB is somewhere around here, I'll have to check so I can beat it next time!

Going to start WS4SB III soon. Well, once I get my rack and bench set up in my garage... struggling for time at the moment and it would be much quicker to be able to do some workouts in my garage.

Still going to take linear progression for all it's worth, though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good session tonight.

Squats:

140 x 3
    150 x 1
    155 x 1
    160 x 1

Tried out the low bar squat tonight and it feels much better on just about everything. Initially, shoulders were hurting and very inflexible, however a wider grip soon sorted that out.

Stopped at 160 because I didn't have much left in me. Numbers will improve once I practice this type of squat and learn how to use the posterior chain better. This is my weakness at the moment: the posterior chain... gotta improve it.

Bench press:

62.5 x 5
    62.5 x 5
    62.5 x 5

Missed reps on 70 three times so that calls for a reset. First set was the hardest, oddly, and the last set wasn't too difficult ... and even paused!

Deadlifts:

170 x 5

Bad form ... but I just wanted to get 170 x 5. Think I'll reset these as well before my ego gets in the way and my spine dies. Next time, think I'll do 160 for five good reps.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.