Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ah similiar ish stats to me (You're 15lbs heavier though). Nice squatting though mate.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Part Seven:

Just a quick update, really.

Squat: 115KGx5x3 - quite hard, to be honest, although I'm going to attribute that to lack of sleep last night.

Bench: 62.5KGx5x3 - very difficult on last rep of each set. Again, I'm going to attribute that to lack of sleep.

Deadlift: 130KGx5x1 - at first, I couldn't get the bar up ... but then I tried again with normal double overhand grip and got it once. Mixed grip for the next four reps, which weren't as hard as I thought they would be. However, bar was almost slipping out of hand a few times, so I might have to consider chalk...

For abs I did weighted decline sit-ups with a 10KG plate; didn't want to exhaust myself.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Part Eight:

Same as above: a quick update.

Squat: 117.5KGx5x3 - Fairly hard, but should still try 120KG next time.

Military press: 47.5KGx5x2, 1x4 - missed the last rep on the last set. Quite annoyed because I reset this lift so I should have managed it. This was always my weakest lift...

Rows: 57.5KGx5x3 - quite hard.

ReputationRep:
    Nice squatting.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Part Nine:

Squat: 120KGx5x3 - OK. Last few reps on last set could have been deeper, as, by looking in the mirror, I could see they were only parallel (I like to squat a bit past parallel, but not full ATG).

Military press: 47.5KGx5x3 - glad to get all the reps in all sets for this one.

Pendlay rows: 60KGx5x3 - felt OK.

Also, there was an usually large amount of hot girls in the weights room today.

ReputationRep:
    how do you deem your lifts parallel by looking in a mirror?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    By seeing my knees higher than my thighs. I can also feel going past parallel as well.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Forgot to update last workout, so here is Part Ten:

(This was done on Wednesday, by the way.)

Squats: 122.5KGx5x3 - felt really hard on all the reps, last two reps on last set didn't feel parallel even. Whether this was because I was up until 2am last nite at the union or because I'm getting a bit more advanced, I don't know. I think I might stall on this lift soon, though...

Bench press: 65KGx5x3 - OK. Not excruiciatingly hard, but not piss easy either. Should still last a while before stalling on this one.

Deadlifts: 135KGx5x1 - Easier than I thought. But this time, rather than lifting dead off the floor, I lifted off of a weight plate. So 2 inches higher. Does this make a difference?

ReputationRep:
    Solid progress.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not updated this recently, so here goes ...

Part Eleven:

I decided to take a week off working out. I was sore, thought I needed it, and to top it off, I have a pile of work to do. Was up until 3am every night so I wouldn't have performed good anyway.

And then, and I'm really pissed off at this, I was quite not well last week. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, my throat was in agony. I sounded really hoarse and heavy breathing would have totally ****ed me up worse, so I couldn't lift on Monday.

I was still quite ****** on Wednesday, but not ****** enough that I'd miss a workout.

Squats: 127.5kgx1x4, then a single rep, then gave up - a 5kg weight jump was a bit of a mistake. I honestly thought I managed 125kg sometime ... oh well ... that and the fact I was pretty crappy is what caused me to fail so badly on the squats. I also felt my lower back compressing or something. Maybe it was rounding ... I dunno. But whatever, it felt like really bad form, so it's probably a good job I couldn't do any more or else I might have tweaked my back!

I've decided to reset my squat anway. Over the last few sessions I've progressively felt my form get slightly worse and slightly higher. My lower back quite hurt and I don't want to injure myself.

Military press: 50kgx5x3 - felt decent enough. The last set felt easier than I expected given I had done two previous sets. Should easily make 52.5kg next time.

Rows: 60kgx5x3 - decided not to push it. Very difficult reps.

This was done on the 17th.

Was feeling quite bad during Friday and Saturday.

Part Twelve:

Squat: 115kgx5x3 - very difficult and felt the same on my lower back than I did with 127.5kg... Dunno what's wrong here, should have managed this quite easy ...

Bench: 60kgx5x3 - tried 67.5kg and I practically dropped straight down on me. Deloaded the bar to just a 20kg plate on each side, was still very hard...

Deadlift: 140kgx0 - wouldn't budge. I blame my lower back for still being sore after squats.

Did abs as well. Light, though, so I wouldn't fatigue my lower back.

I hate going backwards. So depressing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    OK, it's after Christmas, so I must post whether I achieved my goals or not.

My goals were, for before Christmas;

Weight: 190lbs. Don't know as my scales are broken. I measured 188lbs a two weeks or something before Christmas, but have been feeling crappy and not managed much sessions in that time, so I honestly can't say how much I weight now. I hope not less, though.

Squat: 120KG. Passed this a few weeks ago at the gym. And have since squatted 125kg for 5 reps.
    Deadlift: 150KG. Failed - the best I got so far is 135kg for 5 reps.
    Bench press: 70KG. Again, failed, I only managed 65kg for 5 reps.

Rather disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I've decided to reset my squat anway. Over the last few sessions I've progressively felt my form get slightly worse and slightly higher. My lower back quite hurt and I don't want to injure myself.

How high are you squatting? Going from your DLQ ratio it looks kinda high, it doesn't make sense to squat higher just to make the extra weight, as the adaption doesn't actually occur, as the work done can be less.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I squat below parallel, almost ATG, but not quite ATG. I used to squat ATG when I first lifted but down in the hole it felt awkward, like I was leaning on one side all the time and as such, I kept getting foot injuries.

It's kind of funny that my squat to deadlift ratio's seem off because I always comment on other people's if theirs is a bit off as well. And also, I always thought I'd be pretty good at the deadlifts and rubbish at the squats: I've got long arms so when I'm locked out on the deads the bar is just below my cawk, and long legs so I have to put more effort into squats.

I think my squat and deadlift numbers are off because:

1) I squat below parallel and I feel this a lot in my lower back. After squats, my lower back feels exhausted and thus I don't think I am able to go full out on deads with my sore lower back.

2) I squat more often than I deadlift. Every fortnight, I have 3 deadlifting sessions and 6 squatting sessions. Although I add 2.5kg to the squat every time I do it and 5kg to the deadlift every time I do it which makes 15kg per fortnight on them both, I have missed a few sessions which were deadlift sessions, which means I'm progression on the squat faster than I am on the deadlift.

3) Sometimes on the deadlift I felt I could have added more weight than just 5kg. I've never done more than a 5kg jump on the deadlift because I've always believed in steady progress rather than making as big a jump as I possibly can and fatiguing myself quicker and thus stalling quicker. Maybe I was a bit too conservative here and should have tried adding 7.5kg a few times before slowing down to 5kg. At times, deadlifting has been quite easy - especially the last session where 135kg felt quite easy.

ReputationRep:
    Good work OP.

Subbed
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks.

OK so I tried maxing out today with my new belt. Don't know why I did this instead of normal training, probably should have done normal training instead, but I was curious to see what my real actual maxes are.

Squat: 145kg (failed first time, but got second one to parallel)
    Bench press: 75kg (really need to improve this lift)
    Deadlift: 145kg (need to improve this as well. Should dead more than I squat. Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to do this after squats)

Normal training will resume soon.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well it's been fun and all but my journal is coming to an end. After problems with my lower back recently I've decided that I'm probably not suited to squatting times per week and deadlifting one or two times per week. Although Rippetoes is one of the ultimate beginner routines, it isn't for everyone, and many people simply cannot squat three times per week for very long before running into problems.

My plan was to run Rippetoes for as long as I could, then go on Madcow's 5x5. But then reality hit, that I simply am not built for such high volume and frequency on the squats, like most people. Despite Rippetoes and 5x5 being the default routine recommend to beginners and early intermediates, there are other ways to train, which will still give as good as - far better if you're like me and cannot squat three times per week - strength and mass gains as these programmes.

I'm not going to complain because I had a good run on Rippetoes. I squatted 125kg for 5 reps which I'm quite happy with for only having lifted 2 months again. No doubt the muscle memory also played a large part in my quick bulking and strengthening up. But I'm past that now and will move onto other training philosphies.

Thanks to all the guys who read this blog. I shall be starting a new one tonight or tommorrow but I'm having trouble thinking of a decent name for it.

ReputationRep:
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    Shame it's not working out for you any more but you made some good progress. The squats are particularly impressive. Sounds like you need to work on your strength on the bench, and I would definitely recommend doing tricep dips for this - it really helped me get through the awkward phase between 60 and 70kg.

ReputationRep:
    Very impressive progress so far
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Shame it's not working out for you any more but you made some good progress. The squats are particularly impressive. Sounds like you need to work on your strength on the bench, and I would definitely recommend doing tricep dips for this - it really helped me get through the awkward phase between 60 and 70kg.
    Yeah my new routine (to be unveiled when I post my new blog) (oh and by the way I did not make up my new routine I got it off of ironaddicts.com and made a few ever so slight modifications due to lack of equipment) has more 'assistance' lifts which will help with the bench and upper body strength.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.