Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Its a really good article, the starting position feels much more natural to me tbh. SS powercleans make me think 'set up like a deadlift and lower the hips' but theres an awful lot more than that.

That said Im still awful at them
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Front squats:

80 x 3
    90 x 3
    100 x 3
    110 x 2
    120 x f

Failed the 120. Weight was too heavy to support. I think 100-105 would be a fair 3x3 weight for these for me at the moment, just wanted to see where I was at on the front squat.

Press:

55 x 3
    55 x 3
    55 x 3
    55 x 3
    55 x 3

Surprised I got all the reps. First set was the hardest, didn't think I'd make another set after that one, and even the warm ups felt fairly heavy.

Alternating Reverse lunges:

50 x 12
    50 x 8

God these suck. Kept slamming my knee on the ground. Next time for some unilateral leg work I'll do some Bulgarian split squats Defranco style.

Skull crushers:

bar + 15 x 10
    bar + 15 x 10
    bar + 15 x 10

ReputationRep:
    Nice front squat, quite ambitious to go for 10kg jump randomly..... gotta take risk sometimes though i guess.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I had 5's on the rack so I thought what the hell...

ReputationRep:
    Impressive front squat smack, nice

Do you grip properly with your wrists killing? or cross your hands over the bar?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wrists don't hurt any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khanage)
    Impressive front squat smack, nice

Do you grip properly with your wrists killing? or cross your hands over the bar?
    It doesn't really take that long before your wrists stop giving you trouble. I don't have any problem now, even for sets of 6. I haven't tried with crossed hands but the clean position just seems a more elegant way to do it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think the cleans helped out as well. To be honest, I had totally forgotten about wrist pain, in the same way I forgot about the back/neck pain I had when I first started to back squat all those years ago.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tonight's session didn't go so well. I was doing power cleans and got up to 60kg then my shoulders and arms were really hurting. Couldn't do anything after that - could barely even grip the bar or open any doors - so went home.

Not sure what was going wrong, as I felt my form was much better this time since the last time I cleaned. Was getting better triple extension and not starting the second pull from below the knees like what I used to do.

Oh well, arms aren't hurting as much now, so hopefully they'll be better soon.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    'Nother slightly disappointing session.

Power cleans:

60 x 3
    65 x 3
    65 x 3
    65 x 3

Stopped here because I was missing loads of catches. Elbow was playing up again, but at least I managed to get some cleans done this time. I think my form is much better now than from since when I last did cleans... probably just need a bit of practice again.

Static lunges:

50 x 10 each side
    50 x 10 each side
    50 x 10 each side

Used some mats so I didn't smash my knees. Balance was a little better this time, although right leg forward is definitely more difficult. Going to do some Bulgarian squats next time because I still don't like these and don't like the idea of 'lunges' - squat sound much more hardcore.

Push press:

Couldn't manage any of these due to elbow and shoulder pain. Bar was OK, but then put two 10's each side and shoulders and left elbow shut down. Sadly, this seems to be a reoccurring problem. Don't know what's causing it, although I think it might be the skull crushers. I've had problems with these before when I used to literally crush my skull with them.

Also, might be from doing cleans first thing in the workout. Before I did them last, after some squats and bench presses, so much joints and tissue and muscles were well warmed up.

Training's going back to full body as well. I've deviated trying out some splits and I've gotten injured and not gained any mass, lol.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

120 x 5
    120 x 5
    120 x 5
    120 x 5
    120 x 5

Popped my 5x5 cherry tonight. Wasn't sure what weight to use so I went very conservatively. These weren't too difficult. The main part I was worried about was the fatigue: I've never done more than 3 sets of squats before, and that was a few months ago. I'll be gradually increasing the weight on these and hopefully get to 140 for 5x5. I've always responded best to some volume so I'm going to be doing 5x5 squats twice a week. Hopefully get some good size from this as well.

Assisted chins:

30 x 5
    30 x 5
    30 x 5

Weight listed is the weight I was being assisted by. God dammit I really suck at chins! These were from total dead hang too - might have been a bit easier if did them the way all the bros do... Was being cautious about my left elbow too. Was really meant to do these last but wanted to see how my elbow would react...

Push press:

50 x 3
    60 x 3
    70 x 3.5

Elbow and shoulder was playing up again on the push press, making it awkward to get into a good position to push it up, so I failed the fourth rep because my body went out of position after it was half way up. These weren't too bad, just positions were all out because elbow and shoulders not feeling 100%; had they been feeling fine I would have been aiming for a few sets of five. The fact that I was able to get up to 70 and get a couple of reps is definitely a positive.

ReputationRep:
    good squat, you should take a vid some time. Btw I thought you were against 5x5 lol.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I can't ever recall being against 5x5. I gain most of my strength when I'm doing a bit of volume, and the lower weights allowed me to use much better form.

ReputationRep:
    ah my mistake, maybe I was thinking about stronglifts.... variation of 5x5... that seems to get a lot of heat on these forums.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't like Stronglifts 5x5 because it is nothing but a less effective and intelligent version of Starting Strength.

ReputationRep:
    you mean too much volume spread across all the lifts/days or...? Personally I think squatting 3 times a week 5x5 would be ok, if they weren't PB's every session. DL/Bench.. idk I'd die if I had to do 5x5 on that WITH squat.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    More volume than necessary, not really intelligent programming... just an inferior 5x5 compared to Madcow's and Starr's.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I never really understood why madcows was still called 5x5..... for me it was 1x5, 2x5 at best... but not really, 20kg under top set is like a heavy warm up imo.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Because it uses ramping sets; 5 sets of 5 reps ramping to the top set. Still 5x5.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Time for May's training review:

Well I had exams this month so I was much too inconsistent in my training to hope to have achieved much. Training back on focus now that I have nothing to do all summer.

Goals for June:

Squat: 140 5x5
    Press: 60 x 3

Squat goal will be quite hard I think, but definitely achievable. Press goal being conservative because of current elbow worries.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.