Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping for about the same press by the end of june. Probably won't be able to match you on the squats though - I'd like to get something like 130 3x5 some time near the start of July when I go back to doing some SS-type training when I go back to basics for a month or so when I start training with my little bro.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

100 x 5
    100 x 5

Light and easy.

Clean pulls:

90 x 5
    100 x 5
    110 x 5
    120 x 5

These felt much more like a clean pull this time. Proper triple extension on these this time, hurt my nuts once as well. Thumb was bleeding on the last rep 'cos of the hook grip. Oh well.

Lat pull downs:

level 7 3x10

Finished with some lat pull downs. Taking it easy on my elbow so didn't want to do any pressing tonight. Last time the vertical pulling seemed to have a rehabilitation effect so wanted to do some light lat pulls.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

125 x 5
    125 x 5
    125 x 5
    125 x 5
    125 x 5

Did these with a bit too little rest between sets I think. 3rd set was very good form but it had deteriorated by the 5th.

Press:

57.5 x 3
    57.5 x 3
    57.5 x 2
    57.5 x 3
    57.5 x 1

Elbow wasn't too bad today; got some pressing work done. Presses felt OK. Was a bit tired after the squats. Maybe not enough rest between 2nd and 3rd sets. Had to really grind out the last rep of the fourth set, and I just knew I wouldn't get any more than 1 on the fifth.

Cables rows:

100lbs x 10
    120lbs x 10
    140lbs x 9
    160lbs x 4
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good session tonight.

Squats:

127.5 x 5
    127.5 x 5
    127.5 x 5
    127.5 x 5
    127.5 x 5

Again, weren't too bad.

Bench Press:

70 x 5
    70 x 4

Paused all these. First time benching in ages, felt a bit weird. Definitely couldn't pause 70 for 5 last time, though, so I've still got stronger.

Deadlifts:

160 x 4

Did these in my Ironworks. Definitely harder, but I think they'll transfer better to my squats and cleans that way.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Crappy session today. Had to be quick so went in the afternoon (I don't usually lift before at least three meals and 6pm). Thank god it was a light squat day.

Squats:

102.5 x 5
    102.5 x 5

Light squats.

Press:

****ed my elbow up again.

It seems to be the eccentric phase of overhead lifts that is causing the pain. I'll go back to benching for a while since the bench felt fine on my elbows last time.

Left.

ReputationRep:
    Strong squatting :yy:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

130 x 5
    130 x 5
    130 x 5
    130 x 5
    130 x 5

These were harder. Must have been using **** form as well because I really felt these in my knees and lower back. Used belt on the last set and felt much better, though, but still lower back didn't feel like doing any pulling after, so I did some lighter 'bodybuilder' work.

Dumbell bench press:

25s x 6
    25s x 4
    20s x 8
    20s x 8

Not much rest period between these. Not used dumbbells in a while either, so hopefully my strength picks up on these soon.

Cable rows:

Can't remember everything but I got 160lbs x 10

ReputationRep:
    What kind of issue with your elbow is it that you had? I've been getting some problems with my left elbow recently - basically the last couple of inches locking it out doesn't feel good and it feels like there's a tendon at the base of the tricep which is a bit tight and sensitive to pressure.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Mine is on the negative portion of overhead work - left biceps and elbow feels painful and then gets very weak. This occasionally transfers right up my shoulders until I can no longer do any more upper body work.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

132.5 x 5
    132.5 x 5
    132.5 x 5
    132.5 x 5
    132.5 x 5

These were a bit hard, actually. Form was definitely better, although wasn't making proper use of the rebound. Low back was incredibly pumped after these, though, making it difficult to do anything else.

Bench press:

60 x 8
    60 x 8
    60 x 6

Low back was too pumped to get into a position to do anything heavier so I decided I'd try higher reps. First set was all nice and fast; I cut it short so I could try and get 4 x 8 but that wasn't to be. Triceps failed again. And low back was too pumped.

Clean pulls:

Didn't really manage to do any because I just couldn't be explosive - posterior chain too fatigued.

Finished with some light dumbbell shoulder presses.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Think I'm feeling a bit over trained.

Squats:

105 x 5
    105 x 5

Felt harder than light squats should.

Clean pulls:

100 x 3
    110 x 3
    120 x 3
    130 x 3

Not quite as explosive as 120 x 5 two weeks ago. Quads and knees were aching a bit as well. But still clean pulls rather than just fast deadlifts.

Chin ups:

bodyweight x 6
    bodyweight x 5

These weren't full chin ups from a dead hang, because I can't do a single dead hang chin up, but they were at least 90% full range with a standing pause at the bottom.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tonight didn't go too well. Got up to 90 in the front squat and knees were really feeling achy. Also neck must be a little bigger now because bar is beginning to choke me again and that makes me want to gag. So guess no more front squats.

Then I did some dumbbell benches. Nothing spectacular (22.5's x 2 x 10) but I'm treating this as a deload before I move onto something else (more on that later), and that wasn't exactly excruciatingly difficult. Had I been bothered to get another two reps then that'd be equal to an all time PR, which would be nice considering I haven't cared about my dumbbell bench since like last summer.

Then I did some Pendlay Rows, just to see where I am at. Again, not trained this lift since forever, but there's a reason I wanted to see where I'm at. Got to 70 x 3 before form really started to deteriorate, which was more than expected.

Oh and I'm no longer doing 5 x 5 sets across on squats any more and just winging everything else. Yeah, I was still progressing nicely on the squats but it was at the expense of everything else. Ever since 130 my low back has been just too uncomfortable to be able to do anything else in the session. This wouldn't be a problem if my squat was my weakest point, but it's not, it's actually my strongest lift (should be between around 170). Everything else was suffering, and I really need to do something about my bench, press and chins.

I guess I'm just not experienced enough to know how to train myself yet. And I should know this by now, because every time I've ever deviated from something very concisely written down I've failed to make any progress.

So I'm going to start Madcow's 5 x 5. Will be using cleans instead of rows, though, if my elbow lets me, which it hopefully will. Time to do something tried and tested, and that I can't deviate too much from.

ReputationRep:
    Just to throw this in for you to see if its any useful: http://www.elitefts.com/sheiko/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If 5x5 twice a week is killing me Sheiko would f***ing nuke me!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, smolov anyone?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    F***kin 'ell you tryin' to give me a heart attack or summit?

ReputationRep:
    Something like that. Im playing with the idea of giving smolov a go once SS peters out over summer tbh
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Prolly kill you.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what Im thinking, but Iv i get a week in and fail its not like Iv lost anything

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.