x Turn on thread page Beta

OMG not another Rippetoes blog! watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    nice squat... and quad domination can be good :P
    Depends on what you train for. Quad domination led to knee problems for me, and many others too - including many olympic lifters: I'm told that patella tendonitis is quite a large problem amongst many of them.

ReputationRep:
    True True, though the debate is whether low bars are needed or not, since RDL/SLDL and pulling are supposed to even out the balance in theory, although many lifters are guilty of not training 1 rep post, 1 rep ant.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    With low bar you hit the quads and the posterior chain with one movement - seems like a win to me.

ReputationRep:
    But is the strength useful, as in you may build latent ham/glute strength, but will it really help with pulls at the end of the day? Some claim it does.. but its not mainstream to say the least.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes the strength is useful as any strength is useful. I don't see why it wouldn't be. They build strength in the hamstrings, glutes, quads, low back, abs, calves... why wouldn't that help with pulls?

ReputationRep:
    Your gym has a GHR machine? Jealous
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes but no one actually uses it.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't know... I just know I low bared a decent amount... but my pulls still sucked, or I don't know how to use the strength built by low bars in my RDL... I'm not sure the low bars have helped me that much for oly lifting in general.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How often did you practice the olympic lifts whilst using the low bar squat?

ReputationRep:
    Well I mean olympic assistance excercises (classical ones) so RDL, clean pulls mainly.

Your right technique sucks, but I don't think my hams were trained usefully for pulls. Just for me. I'm sure someone who did low bar did find it helped for pulls - if they did them correctly/for that purpose.

For me, low bars just gave me a big ass, which was good but left many parts undeveloped. You've seen my 172.5kg squat (which I'm pretty sure was to depth), and my legs are tiny.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    OK, so you weren't practising the olympic lifts and then you start practising them, get better at them and then conclude that low bar squats did little for your olympic lifts...?

Your legs were small because it was a 172.5 squat.

ReputationRep:
    no no... I had a weak RDL from low bars which I correlate directly to oly lifts. Cos I would assume low bars are for pulls and my pulls were still weak.

And my legs were disproportionately small at 172.5 as in... only thing getting developed was glutes, people with 80kg squat had bigger quads than me.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong I've seen the vid of rip talking about low bar for olympic lifters and agreed with him at the time. I just feel for me personally they don't help me pulls as suggested.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You had a weak RDL because you never practised it. The RDL does not correlate with the olympic lifts. Your pulls were weak because you didn't practise them.

Low bar squats help with leg strength, not just pulls. They place more emphasis on the posterior chain rather than the quadriceps, that is all.

Guys had bigger quads than you because they have better genetics than you, or are just bigger than you. IIRC, you're like 165lbs. You'll always be skinnier than almost every single person who lifts weights at that body weight.

ReputationRep:
    When I made the 172.5 - 180 low bar I was around 85kg, and my quads were pretty much undeveloped.

Anyways I don't want to argue anymore, for what I train for now, I don't believe the low bar is right for me, I've been there and it left me with a weak front squat and weak pulls. RDL shouldn't really need practise and it does have direct relation to powercleans/clean pulls for *most* athletes including me.

If it works for you great, for me they just didn't train the right thing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    And 85kg is still very light.

We're not arguing. I never said that the low bar squat was best for you or how you should squat. That's not what should be talked about in my log. It's all about me. :p:

I've never heard about RDLs correlating with anything other than RDLs, let alone the olympic lifts. Could you source that?

One thing that I've noticed over the years is that your average olympic lifter is very weak, with much lower back squat numbers than I would have thought. That's just an observation from reading some forums and logs... but what was interesting is that powerlifters who were much stronger (although still fairly average relative to powerlifting) were often right up there with the olympic lifters at their lifts despite having rarely trained the lifts. Once I'm much stronger I'm going to try this theory out, by doing some of the olympic lifts for a few weeks to see where I stand.

ReputationRep:
    ok ok, I will reply later but I have loads on today... and I find this fairly interesting because I did low bars and the powerlifting thing for ages, got incepted and decided olympic was cooler.

Anyhow if you have time/can be bothered to read this... is a good place to start, awesome article imo.

Tell me what you disagree with and why:

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sporti...ticles007.html

basically addresses the issue of how useful the back squat, and how bigger back squat doesn't always equal bigger total - in answer to why elite olympic lifters have "weak" back squats - they squat in a way to help the clean, not for squat numbers.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I said your average weightlifter, not the elite ones.

ReputationRep:
    I would assume the same principles apply. Seriously read the article, took me ages but was pretty informative.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Bench press:

80 x 2
    85 x 3
    85 x 3
    85 x 3
    70 x 6
    70 x 6
    70 x 6

85 felt much lighter now. Perhaps could have gotten a set of 5 with it.

Pendlay rows:

80 x 6
    80 x 6
    80 x 6
    80 x 6

These were seriously hard on the last few reps. Don't know why.

Press:

50 x 5
    50 x 3
    40 x 5
    40 x 4

These were seriously embarrassing. Was expecting to get 50 for a few sets of 6-8, but shoulders weren't having it. Maybe it's not such a good idea to press after doing benching.

Barbell curls:

40 x 8
    40 x 6

Got bored and left.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.