Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Trained in my garage tonight, and the weights I use there are always lower than in the gym, so instead of going for some heavy weight I usually just try some new stuff and get in some volume.

Floor press:

60 x 6
    60 x 6
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    60 x 6
    60 x 6
    60 x 6

First time ever doing these. Really feel them on the triceps. Not too hard, weights went up fast enough; only time they were difficult was at the bottom.

Barbell rows:

70 x 6
    70 x 6
    70 x 6
    70 x 6
    70 x 6
    70 x 6

Easy enough. Short rest periods too.

Flyes:

3 x 10

Meh, it's a flye.

Did some barbell curls too but got bored and my own bar seems to hurt my wrists when curling.

Took less than an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    It's no substitute for overhead work obviously but I do direct shoulder work in my garage with a chest expander I got from JJB about 3-4 years ago when I first wanted to get toned. Sounds gay, and probably is gay, but it is quite useful for rear delts and sometimes some light side delt work too.
    Glad I'm not the only one :awesome:

Yeah and Smack, I guess thats an advantage of working in a home gym. I was 5x5ing today, and with all the waiting/sharing with people it took me nearly 2 hours ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Glad I'm not the only one :awesome:
    I could not figure out for the life of me how to make that thing work my chest

I did used to stand on one end and do curls with it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    I could not figure out for the life of me how to make that thing work my chest

I did used to stand on one end and do curls with it though.
    Burningnun used to do curls :eek::eek: Mine came with a booklet which said if you sit on it with your knees and row it up it works your chest

ReputationRep:
    I do curls

Makes my bench and press strong.

ReputationRep:
    I do curls. Makes me not want to rip out my elbows.

ReputationRep:
    I do curls. Makes me look ard and makes the laydeez fancy me.

ReputationRep:
    I do curls. I curl less than all the other bros in the gym though
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I do curls because I am not hardcore enough any more to to get big arms from squats.

ReputationRep:
    I do curls. No justification needed.

ReputationRep:
    I do girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khanage)
    I do girls.

Fag.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    First proper session for two weeks.

Squats:

100 x 5
    120 x 3
    130 x 3
    140 x 5
    100 x 6

All were beltless. I'm going to start noting down when I use the belt because I rely on it too much to generate intra-abdominal pressure. Contrary to what many will think, months of wearing the belt on anything over 130 hasn't left my core 'weak' because these squats were not that difficult, but I do rely on the belt too much. I'm not going to scrap it, but I'm not going to abuse it either and I'm going to make sure I can squat properly without it.

Bench press:

60 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5

What the ****? These were actually really difficult. Maybe I'm not good at benching after I squat or something. If this occurs in future then I'll go back to an upper/lower split.

Press:

40 x 5
    50 x 5
    50 x 3
    40 x 4

Press obviously suffered because of being done after the bench. Last two sets, shoulders and triceps just gave out. Probably needed longer rest periods but was rushed because it was nearing closing time.

Tried some good mornings as well but they didn't feel right, and gym was about to close.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Was still suffering from some quite bad abs DOMS. Wanted to do a lower volume lighter session.

Push press:

60 x 4
    70 x 2
    80 x 1
    80 x 1
    80 x 1
    80 x 1
    60 x 5 - much stricter
    60 x 4 - much stricter

Wrists were really weak on these. Think I'm going to need some wrist wraps. Quite disappointed actually.

Hammer Strength Front Pull Down machine:

100 x 6
    100 x 6
    100 x 6

Noticed the gym had Hammer Strength Machines. Heard some good things about them, so wanted to try one out. They're just as crap as every other machine.

Face pulls:

2 x 12
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    DONE MONDAY BUT FORGOT TO UPDATE HERE

Pause squats:

100 x 5
    100 x 5
    100 x 5

These were really easy. Just done them to get some more squat practice since it's been a few weeks (bar Saturday) since I've squatted.

Close grip bench press:

70 x 5
    70 x 4
    60 x 6 - paused on the pins at exactly chest level
    60 x 6 - paused on the pins at exactly chest level

Benching really seems to have gone down the toilet after my deload...

Incline dumbbell bench press:

22.5s x 6
    22.5s x 6
    22.5s x 6
    22.5s x 6

Nice and easy as they should have been.

Barbell rows:

80 x 6
    80 x 6
    80 x 6
    80 x 6
    80 x 6
    80 x 6

Easy enough.

GHRs:

bodyweight x 10
    bodyweight x 10
    bodyweight x 10

Fairly easy. Going to start doing these weighted.

Ab roll-outs:

10, 7, 5
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

140 x 2
    belt
    160 x 4
    140 x 4
    140 x 4

Been a while since I've done some proper squats. 160 x 4 is a nice PB, I suppose, for just getting back into them. The two back off sets were actually almost as difficult as the 160 x 4 set.

Romanian Deadlifts:

100 x 8
    120 x 5
    120 x 5
    120 x 5

Hard but smooth, if you know what I mean.

GHRs:

bodyweight x 12
    bodyweight x 12

Easy enough. Going to start doing these weighted.

Back extensions:

bodyweight + 10 x 10
    bodyweight + 10 x 10

Again, easy enough.

Ab roll outs:

10, 10, 6

Abs were just destroyed by this point.

Session only took 75 minutes so I know I have time to spare to add in more volume next time. Going to really hammer the GHRs and back extensions.

ReputationRep:
    Beast squat!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, nice squats man. I wonder how long it will be until you're pushing 200 for a single.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Beast squat!
    Heh, compared to Stamper and some of the other guys there it's nothing but a peanut!

Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Wow, nice squats man. I wonder how long it will be until you're pushing 200 for a single.
    I don't know, but 200 wasn't one of my 2010 goals - it was only 180. Part of my other 2010 goals was a 227.5 deadlift and a 120 push press or bench press. At the moment I'd say I'm almost there on the squat, but miles behind on the pressing and quite far behind on the deadlifting too. So once I get a 180 squat, squats are going to be put on the back seat whilst I focus on my bench, overhead and deadlift, to make them in proportion. At the moment I'm very out of proportion lifts wise (and physique wise too), and focusing on my strongest lift isn't going to bring this up. During this time I'll also learn if bringing my deadlift up helps my squat too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.