• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    There aren't any Bosu Balls in my gym.

ReputationRep:
    You're missing out.

ReputationRep:
    ha!! gotta love imperial.

We really need to swap a couple of bosu balls for a GHR, they cost like £130 a pop

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My old gym used to have bosu and Swiss balls but I now train at Aberdeen Uni's gym and I haven't seen any of that crap there.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 5
    120 x 5
    140 x 5

Not too hard.

Tried to push press and do other stuff but shoulder was having none of it, so I went home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 5
    120 x 5

Just did light squats tonight because I've not been "feeling it" this past week with all the uni work I've got.

Press:

30 x 5
    40 x 5
    50 x 5
    60 x 2

Meh.

Bench press:

40 x 5
    50 x 5
    60 x 5
    70 x 10

Better than I was expecting, especially since I pressed to failure beforehand.

Barbell rows:

60 x 8
    70 x 8
    80 x 8
    90 x 8

Good good.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay session tonight.

Bench press:

40 x 5
    50 x 5
    60 x 5
    70 x 5
    85 x 1
    85 x 2
    70 x 5

Weights felt a bit heavier today than they did last time - I blame the fact that my PWO bacon buttie didn't have enough bacon in it. Got to 85 and it felt too heavy to get a second (I got a second last time) at the time, but then when I racked it, I knew I had more in me so I tried again and got a double. Felt like I maybe had a third in me like I felt last time as well, but trying to avoid failure, and I still got a higher total number of reps with 85 this time than last. Didn't do as much back off sets either because they felt slow and heavy.

Deadlift:

165 x 5

Harder than last time, but I still got them.

Hang power cleans:

60 x 3
    65 x 3
    65 x 3
    65 x 3
    70 x 3

Easy enough. Been ages since I've done an explosive lift so wasn't sure where I was at. Regret not doing these for so long as they really help with the posterior chain and explosiveness, and they're much more fun than bodybuilding ****e!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Bit of a meh session tonight. Been really busy and haven't had much time to eat. Felt quite gassed tonight.

Squats:

65 x 5
    85 x 5
    105 x 5
    125 x 5
    145 x 5

That's a nice beltless deep squat PR.

Tried some BTN push jerks but my shoulder doesn't like BTN stuff. So I did some press instead:

40 x 5
    50 x 5
    50 x 5
    50 x 7

Absolutely gassed. First few reps felt fine but just really out of breath. Wanted at least 10 on the last set.

Hang cleans:

50 x 3
    60 x 3
    65 x 3
    70 x 3
    75 x 3
    80 x 1

Posterior chain was destroyed from the squats and feeling absolutely knackered and hungry. Meh.

Finished with some face pulls, 3 x 10.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

65 x 5
    85 x 5
    105 x 5
    125 x 5

Standard.

Bench press:

40 x 5
    50 x 5
    60 x 5
    70 x 11

1 rep PR. Weights honestly felt heavier tonight than they did last time. Surprised - but happy - with the PR.

Hang cleans:

40 x 3
    50 x 3
    60 x 3
    70 x 3
    75 x 3
    78 x 2
    70 x 2

78 was hard and I wasn't getting a third. The second set of 70 I was just gassed!

Finished with some pull-throughs for 2 x 12.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay so I'm going to give the Greyskull Barbell Linear Progression routine a try for a while. It's quite similar to Starting Strength, except with a little more leeway so it's going to be less monotonous.

Here it is:

Monday
    Bench/ or Press (A/B) 2x 5, 1 x 5+
    Curl 2x 10-15 (bench days)
    Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
    Neck Harness

Wednesday
    Bench/ or Press 2x5, 1x 5+
    Weighted Chins 2 x 6-8 (press days, and only if you can do at least 6-8 BW chins)
    Deadlift 1x 5+ (with or without power cleans as warmups)
    Neck Harness

Friday
    Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
    Neck Harness

Bodyweight Chins are done every day.
    5 lb jumps on Squat and Deadlift
    2.5lb jumps on pressing movements and curls (when rep ranges are satisfied)
    When reps on last set fall below 5, take 10% off of bar and begin process over (on that lift only)
    After reading through the thread I'm going to make some slight modifications to suit myself.

Monday
    Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
    Hang cleans 3x 3

Wednesday
    Bench/ or Press 2x5, 1x 5+
    Deadlift 1x 5+
    Weighted Chins 2 x 6-8 (press days, and only if you can do at least 6-8 BW chins)

Friday
    Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
    Hang clean 3x 3

Bodyweight Chins are done every day.
    2.5kg jumps on Squat and Deadlift
    1.5kg jumps on pressing movements and curls (when rep ranges are satisfied)
    When reps on last set fall below 5, take 10% off of bar and begin process over (on that lift only)
    I can't deadlift properly after an explosive movement so I'm going them on separate days. I also don't have access to a neck harness either. Basically I think I need a bit more structure, particularly for my bench and press, than what I have now. Looking back I've progressed best when I've been doing something highly structured and barely made any progress - or even worse, regressed - when I've just been doing my own thing.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like SS but for benching haha.

Link to the thread?

ReputationRep:
    Greyskull LP.

There are other neck lifts to do if you actually want to. Lie on a flat bench with a plate on your forehead... lift head off the bench.

Lay flat on bench, put feet up on end of bench, lift body off the bench such that only your feet and head are touching. Keep your neck straight.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    People would, deservedly, look at me like I'm a complete idiot if I were to do that.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, a neck harness is worse. My new little hospital gym has one. One of the perks of this little gym is that often we (training partners) are the only ones in there. This means I get to experiment with some of this goofy crap from time to time.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My neck is swole enough, though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying to do neck training, I don't really think it's necessary unless you're in to that sort of thing. It's just that instead of saying, "My neck is yoked, I'm not going to do neck training," you said, "I don't have a neck harness."
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Started the Greyskill linear progression programme tonight.

Bench Press:

70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 12

Rep PR with 70. Felt a little easier than last time.

Squats:

125 x 5
    125 x 5
    125 x 8

Was hoping for more on the last set but I was just too gassed, and was leaning over too much on the last one, so I safely racked it. Tonight I had to squat on the open platform, not in the cages, and that doesn't give me much confidence when the weights start to slow down.

Also, I suppose I'll have to get used to using straight sets again on the squat; been many months since I've last done that!

Chins:

bodyweight x 2
    bodyweight x 2
    bodyweight x 2
    bodyweight x 2
    bodyweight x 2

Not too hard. I'll add reps on each set and once decrease the number of sets continually as the reps increase.

Curls:

bar + 20 x 12
    bar + 20 x 12

Not sure how much the bar weighs... but I rarely see anyone curling more than the 10s on each side.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm seriously going to run Starting Strength again. I know I said I was going to do Greyskull but that's meant to be done for higher reps on the last set and I know personally that I do not gain strength well on higher reps. I can do 70 x 12 bench which calculates to be almost 100 for a single but to be honest I doubt I could even triple 90. I also want to do the explosive lifts more than once a week.

The only routines that I've ever made noteworthy progress on was SS and Madcows. My bench peaked when I was doing an upper/lower but that strength seemed to be very temporary and to be honest I gave up with the bench too early on SS. I also wasn't doing the recommended chins and dips, my arms were like toothpicks - well, they still are, but I think they're at least an inch bigger now and I've done eight bodyweight dips and am on the way to being able to do sets of bodyweight chin ups, too - and I wasn't eating much. So I'm going to give it another try. I'll probably start off at 75 on the bench, 145 on the squat, 170 on the deadlift (my PB, set doing SS), not sure about the press or power clean, though. Not sure how long I'll last doing the novice programme, and I anticipate that my squat and deadlift will stall relatively quickly, and when I do stall I won't go all OCD again and start doing useless crap like dumbbell band bench presses with 10kg dumbbells; I'll go onto a proper advanced novice routine.

The reason I am doing this is because it is almost the end of 2010 and I feel somewhat disappointed with my progress. I basically started from nothing again in January (50kg bench, 80kg squat) and was determined not to make this another year of OCDness and failure, like 2009 was (I made practically zero progress in 2009). I got off to a decent start and in April squatted 160 for a single and deadlifted 170 x 5. It's came to the end of the year and I've still not bettered that deadlift, although I have done that squat single for a set of five. But still, my progress should have been better. I want to get as strong as possible fast as possible, and for many parts of the year I've been failing to make any progress.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Smack, just dropping in to let you know that I read your blog. I read most of the regs' blogs. I just don't always have much to say. I'm the strong silent type.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Hey Smack, just dropping in to let you know that I read your blog. I read most of the regs' blogs. I just don't always have much to say. I'm the strong silent type.
    Awww thanks. :love:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.