Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My 3RM always equates higher than my 5RM. And so far, my 1RM was higher than my equated 3 rep work set, but I don't know if that was a true 3RM; probably not. And I don't if the Wendler formula is the same as the ones I use.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wendler's formula;

1RM = Weight x Reps x 0.0333 + Weight

It's the most optimistic calculator I've seen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Wendler's formula;

1RM = Weight x Reps x 0.0333 + Weight

It's the most optimistic calculator I've seen!
    You'd be a moron to go and try your 'theoretical' 1RM straight out. It's just a ball park figure I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blutarsky)
    You'd be a moron to go and try your 'theoretical' 1RM straight out. It's just a ball park figure I guess.
    No one is suggesting you do. Most people that are probably at a level to justify such a routine will have likely tested their 1RMs. It's quite a useful thing to do perhaps before starting an intermediate routine, but definitely before starting an advanced routine like 5/3/1.

ReputationRep:
    I generally use ExRx, which puts it at 197kg. I've found it quite accurate, though I can't guarantee anything.

ReputationRep:
    Its different for everyone really, Im **** at repping so my 1rm is much higher than the calculators suggest.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It depends on your muscle fibre type (or ratios, rather) and how well practised you are at grinding heavy singles. I haven't done a heavy single since the summer so before I take a true 1RM I'd have to practice some triples and heavy-ish singles.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Another quick one tonight.

Squats:

170 x 3

Probably didn't have another rep in me, although quite pleased with this. Making some improvements to my form, too, although it'll be a while until they all kick in.

Press:

70 x 2

Haven't pressed this strict before either. Better than my previous best of 62.5 x 5 strict according to calculators as well. Last rep was a real grinder and definitely never had another one in me.

Finished with some chins and curls.

ReputationRep:
    Nice PR's man.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks broski.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    First session back tonight after exams. Haven't been eating much and went earlier today than I like to go so I thought I'd do a light session.

Front squats:

80 x 3
    90 x 3
    90 x 3

These sucked. Front squats suck. Destroyed my wrists and elbows again.

Press:

50 x 5
    55 x 5

Sucked again. Felt like I had no strength.

Power cleans:

70 x 3
    75 x 3
    80 x 3

Now these were better. 80 x 3 is a PR!

ReputationRep:
    How's it destroy your elbows? Maybe do some flexibility stuffs...

I clean grip it fairly low on my delts... and it feels better than back squat rack sometimes.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't really know, they just don't feel right after I front squat, and it's a feeling that can only be caused by front squats.

I'm not really inclined to do mobility stuff when I can just do light squats instead. Extra volume would also have better carry over and lead to better size gains too.

ReputationRep:
    Good work :yy:.

Saw your log on sugden as well . Do you still keep one on SS.com too?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I got bored of SS.com and haven't been there in months.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tonight's session, first time benching and deadlifting in 2011.

Bench:

85 x 3
    85 x 3
    85 x 3

Very difficult, but I got them all. This is good news as it means that I'm only a little bit behind my all time best with three triples. I'm going back to the format that worked then, too, in the hope that it'll work now as well.

Close grip bench press:

60 x 8
    60 x 6
    60 x 5

Triceps were really, really fatigued and although the weight felt light, my triceps just basically burned out so I had to rack it in case I got pinned.

Deadlifts:

180 x 1
    190 x 1
    200 x f
    200 x 1 - straps
    205 x f

Decided to max out on deadlifts to see where I am at. Hook grip failed at 200 the first time two thirds of the way up so I strapped up and got it. 205 wasn't coming up in a month of Sundays, though.

What's surprising is how easy the lockout was at 200 with straps - much easier than any of my sets of fives without them. My hook grip obviously isn't as strong as I thought it is.

What isn't surprising, though, is that my main weakness was off the floor. 205 just wasn't budging whereas 200 the second time was tough to get off the floor, once I had it up it just kept coming up. So to address this I'll start deadlifting from a deficit primarily and only do speed deadlifts off the floor. My template will look something like this:

Day 1
    Speeds
    Romanians

Day 2
    Deficits

The deficits will help build strength off the floor, and also help with grip strength. Speeds will help with technique and speed, obviously (deficits help with that too but I'm not quite as fast as I used to be only a few months ago so I need some speed work). The Romanians will build up the posterior chain, which is also lacking.

Straight leg deadlifts:

100 x 10

This was a back-off from the deadlifts. These don't feel right with me - all lower back, no hamstrings so I won't do them again.

Finished with some curls because my arms are small.

ReputationRep:
    Nice deadlifting.

I've always wondered though, whats all this deal with everyone doing hook grip, what happend to simple mixed grip with chalk?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks.

With mixed grip the shoulders are not stressed evenly - I even had one trap slightly bigger than the other after mix gripped for a long time. Hook grip stresses the shoulders evenly and vastly reduces the chance of a biceps tear, too. It's also more secure than mixed grip once you get used to it, although many are put off of it because it supposedly hurts/

ReputationRep:
    You have til the end of the month to make your TSR Bench e-Meet attempt. Do it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather him do a squat max attempt, you'd probably be close to 190kg.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2018
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.