Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay session tonight.

Started off with speed squats, but it turned out that I wasn't fast at all, even with 90kg. The atmosphere was a bit lacking and I didn't want to take any weight off the bar so I did power snatches instead. The noise of the bumper plates smashing off of the platform put me in the mood.

Power snatch:

Bar x many
    40 x a few
    50 x a few

Need to work on my technique with these. I'll do more later, though, because I wanted to power clean.

Power cleans:

70 x 3
    80 x 2
    85 x 1
    90 x 2
    80 x 3
    80 x 3
    80 x 3

The double with 90 is a PR. First set of 80 felt nice and easy but shoulders and wrists were taking a beating so I stopped after the third triple.

Incline [30] dumbbell bench press:

45 x 10
    45 x 10

This is a PR too. Haven't done these in ages. Was feeling fine up until last few reps, when there was a sudden cut-off. I don't do well at high reps, it seems.

Then I did some seated dumbbell shoulder presses but couldn't really get into a comfortable enough position to do much.

Pendlay rows:

60 x 5
    70 x 5
    80 x 5

Haven't done these in ages. I think that is also a PR for a strict pronated grip row.

Finished with some stretching.

ReputationRep:
    Nice cleans and rows.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Bit of a crappy session tonight.

Press:

50 x 5
    60 x 2
    65 x 2
    65 x 1
    50 x 5
    50 x 5
    50 x 5
    50 x 5

Disappointed, really. Warm-ups were flying up, was hoping for much more. Press has steadily been declining after lowering the volume it seems, so did some volume to get some work in. Hit a sudden wall on the last rep of the last set as it was a bit of a struggle to lock out, but otherwise the last four sets were easy and fast, as expected.

Speed deadlifts:

110 x 3
    110 x 3
    110 x 3

These were fast. Happy with these.

After that I found out that I do not have good enough balance to do unilateral leg work except step-ups, which are quad dominant and therefore the exact opposite of what I need.

Then I did some hammer curls but found out that unless they are 100% strict, they are almost exclusively a shoulder exercise.

So I tried to finish with some triceps work, as my triceps are weak and small, and it seems that pull downs and push downs still **** with my shoulder.

So went home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Brilliant session tonight. Left the gym feeling in a really ****ing good mood.

Paused bench press (2s):

80 x 2
    80 x 2
    80 x 2
    60 x 8
    60 x 8

The doubles were quite easy. Probably had more in my but I left it at that as I know from experience that failure comes out of nowhere on these. Next time I'll make them triples. The back-off sets weren't too bad either, but again left it there as failure comes out of nowhere.

Deficit deadlifts (3 inch):

170 x 5 (+10s static hold at end)

Nice PR, beltless too. I ended 2010 with this same number, except not from a deficit and with a belt. So deadlifting is going well this year. Felt easier than last week, too.

Pendlay rows:

60 x 5
    70 x 5
    80 x 5

Nice PR on these, too. Doing them strict seems to hit the required muscle much harder.

GHRs:

broomstick x 12
    broomstick x 12

Put a broomstick on my back in the squat bar position this time. Definitely harder. Aim is to progress to a real bar, then real bar plus weight.

Finished with curls and stretching.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Quick one this afternoon as I wanted to get back home to watch France vs England. Session took less than an hour - first time that's happened in a very long time! Also saw a guy in a Westside t-shirt and what looked to be full powerlifting gear.

Speed deadlifts:

90 x 3
    100 x 3
    110 x 3
    120 x 3
    120 x 3

Speed was good on first three sets. Slowed down a little with 120, though, so I'll repeat that weight next time, and hopefully do a few more sets as well.

Press:

53 x 5
    53 x 5
    53 x 5
    53 x 5
    53 x 5

These were easy enough. Making a concious effort to increase the volume with these as they've been fairly poor recently. And to press a lot you've got to press a lot!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Quite a crappy session tonight, even though I hit a few PRs. Wasn't feeling great all day, but braved it to the gym. Couldn't be arsed with any assistance exercises or volume so kept it short.

Paused [2s] bench press:

80 x 3
    80 x 2
    80 x 3

First set was easy. Felt awful during second set so cut it to two sets. Then had a long rest period and hit three hard reps on last set. Couldn't be bothered with any back-off sets.

Deficit deadlifts:

175 x 5

First four reps were easy. But was a bit breathless and that put a halt to my momentum so last rep was really poor form. But got it, though!

Stretched and went home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Review of January and February's training.

January's training went okay considering I had exams. Squatted 170 for a triple, which was nice, and deadlifted 200 for a single, which was also a PR. Bench had decreased a little bit and it seems that high reps don't transfer well to low reps for me (70 x 12 in December to struggling with 77.5 for 3 x 5 in Jan). Press was also a bit on the low side, and has in fact ever since I finished Madcow's routine back in the summer. It seems to have decreased with a lower frequency, as do a lot of my lifts.

Currently I'm focusing on my bench press and deadlift rather than squat. I really want to bring up my deadlift ASAP to 500lb. My plan was originally to deadlift twice a week - one day doing deficits and the other doing speed work. It's working well because I pulled my 5RM from early January, except this time from a 3 inch deficit and without a belt. So going by my 5RM - 1RM numbers for the deadlift from the floor, I should be good for 200 now from the same deficit for a single. Speed is also really good. Grip maybe a little lacking, and I definitely feel it much harder to lock out when my grip is failing. I don't want to have to resort to straps for my worksets yet, although as my main concern is a bigger deadlift I guess I might have to use them.

Getting over the 200 mark will be a huge mental barrier so I'm going to wait a while until I max out again. When I can do 200 x 5, I'll probably go for it.

Onto the bench, now. Off the chest was my weakness as I was bouncing it. So I've been pausing them all as of late. Initially it hammered my numbers, but now it's beginning to catch up - only 10kg behind, but with an extra rep, and feels easier now too. Form has also improved a lot, too: using much more lats, pulling the bar apart, feels less like an arm exercise, and more consistent with the position it touches my chest. Not sure when I'll go back to normal benching. I think I'll try and take the paused benching as far as it'll let me.

Also going to do a lot more triceps work as I think these are also a little weak.

Onto squatting, I seem to be maintaining fairly well. After I hit the 500lb deadlift I'll go back to squatting three times a week as this is what has always worked for me the best. Hopefully I'll continue deadlifting at least once a week, with one day devoted to speed and the other to doing 5s from either the floor or a deficit.

Also, life is a bit busy at the moment so I've been missing a few sessions, which sucks.

Goals for 1st April is to get 185 x 5 from a deficit and pause bench 85 for three triples. I also want to press 60kg for 5x5. I've been feeling that the higher volume, lower reps approach to pressing is working well. Heh, maybe that's where I was going wrong this year.

ReputationRep:
    Looks good, might use and adapt your deadlift model for sumo :P
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well the model is not really "mine" - I didn't invent it and take no credit for it. It just seems common sense. A session where you work on speed from the floor, and another where you do heavy work that best targets your weakness.

ReputationRep:
    Fair play, Do you reckon deficits would work for sumo?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't know anything about sumo deadlifting, except that it's evil and gay.

ReputationRep:
    Amen.

ReputationRep:
    LOL... it suits me

ReputationRep:
    ps no homo obviously.....
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    LOL... it suits me
    Also pretty gay.

ReputationRep:
    bit harsh

ReputationRep:
    He means equipped lifting, not you. Or does he...?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No, I actually mean SMed.

ReputationRep:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Quite a good session tonight considering that I've been knackered for most of the week due to hectic schedule that does not conform to body clock.

Speed deadlifts:

90 x 3
    100 x 3
    110 x 3
    120 x 3
    120 x 3
    120 x 3

Speed better than last time. Happy with these.

Press:

55 x 5
    55 x 5
    55 x 5
    55 x 5
    55 x 5

Second set the hardest; fourth set the easiest. Strange.

Close grip bench lockouts:

60 x 6
    70 x 6
    80 x 3

I've always known my triceps were weak, but not this weak. Perhaps there was some fatigue from the pressing, but this is still definitely a weak area for me.

Finished with curls and stretching.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.