Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough - I always get lower back pump from it which prevents me from doing too many high rep sets - just feels bad man.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Fair enough - I always get lower back pump from it which prevents me from doing too many high rep sets - just feels bad man.
    I don't really like doing GHRs to be honest. RDLs hit my hamstrings much better, plus the glutes, low back, mid back, upper back, forearms and abs. The only reason I did GHRs was because it was meant to be a quick, light session to stop me from feeling pissed off from missing last night. I didn't have my chalk or shoes with me anyway so I wasn't going to do anything heavy.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wasn't feeling too strong today, a bit bunged up, hopefully I've not got the flu or anything coming on.

Squats:

60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 5
    120 x 5
    140 x 5

140 was much, much easier this time. Felt quite crushed not getting 140 for five reps last time, and now relieved to have gotten it now.

Paused bench press [2s]:

72 x 5
    72 x 5
    72 x 5
    72 x 5
    72 x 5

These weren't too hard.

Pendlay rows:

60 x 6
    80 x 6
    85 x 5
    85 x 5

This is where things started to go down hill. Wasn't feeling strong on these at all.

Did some face-pulls, but shoulder and wrists were clicking - never experienced that before, so stopped.

Did some stretching and went home happier than the last time I did squats.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Was a bit ill during the earlier part of the week and swamped with work so didn't manage a mid-week session.

As usual on Friday I had some indoor wendyball with the engineering lads and decided to go to the gym straight after, seeing as I was already there and had free time. So workout was done after an hour and a half of running about and little food. Took my shoes and chalk with me this time, though.

Power cleans:

70 x 3
    75 x 3
    80 x 3
    85 x 3

Not done these in a while. Not bad.

Dumbbell bench press:

30s x 8
    30s x 8

PR, but only because I've not used dumbbells in ages and undersold myself last week. This was also fairly straight forward.

Used to believe that I couldn't get an effective gym session in after a bit of running around and with little food. Guess this proves that wrong. Explosive work probably wasn't the best idea, though. But I can get in a fairly effective "RE" type upper body session.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

65 x 5
    85 x 5
    105 x 5
    125 x 5
    145 x 5

Quite hard. Shouldn't be, though, but it's my own fault for neglecting squats for too long.

Paused [2s] bench press:

74 x 5
    74 x 5
    74 x 5
    74 x 5
    74 x 5

Quite hard. 5th set was the easiest.

Then went for what I thought would be a power **** but I ended up being in for ****ing ages. Came out, tried to chin up but almost died of exhaustion so I went home. Thought it'd be easier as I'd be much lighter, but obviously not.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Speed deadlifts:

100 x 3
    120 x 3
    140 x 3

Speed with three plates was okay. I'll work on improving it, though.

Press:

60 x 5
    60 x 5
    60 x 5
    60 x 5
    60 x 3.9

Was only meant to do 59 but didn't see any point in being one kilogram short of a big boy plate each side. First and last sets the hardest. Slightly disappointed at missing the lockout on the fourth rep of the fifth set... but I've not overhead pressed in a while. I'm a bit bored with 5x5 for these so next time I'll do some 3x3.

ReputationRep:
    Nice press. Are these paused at bottom?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Nice pressing indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Nice pressing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks guys. I suppose my pressing is nice relative to my benching, but it's still only one proper plate per side (in fact less than that as my gym has 25s). I'd say 100 for a single is "nice"...

ReputationRep:
    brb pressing 2 plates

ReputationRep:
    Feels good to smash that 60kg press, same as bench i guess. 60 x 5.. you reckon you could 1 rep 70+?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Khanage)
    Feels good to smash that 60kg press, same as bench i guess. 60 x 5.. you reckon you could 1 rep 70+?
    I've doubled 70 before, after a 170 x 3 squat. I've done 62.5 x 5 before, too.

It'll be interesting to see how 5x5 -> 3x3 works for increasing the press. If it does work.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Review of March's training.

March was a fairly poor month of training, consistency wise. Lot of uni work to do, and it's only going to get worse in April, and then exams start in May. So the plan is to get at least two sessions per week done. Maybe three, I'll see... it might have to be a fairly light and quick session, though.

Training wise, I did not meet my target of 185 x 5 from a 3 inch deadlift. That is sort of for the best, I think, as upon switching back to regular deadlifts I do not feel that deficits have benefited me that much. I think part of the problem was too high an intensity on them - particularly the 175 x 5.

At the moment, just deadlifting seems to be working fine, with speed work thrown in. I might try and do deficits for sets across at a lower intensity to see if that works any better in the future.

Regarding pressing, I also missed 60 for five sets of five - only just, though. Going to change the rep range for next time, too, to 3x3. Might also try push pressing as well - been ages since I've done that.

Regarding benching, I think it's probably time to ditch the pause and try and hit some PRs again.

Squatting will be getting done every session again, as that worked the best.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    First training session in slightly over a week. The "deload" doesn't seem to have done much good - weights feeling heavier than they should. Really should learn from experience that weeks off unless I'm absolutely fried decreases my strength.

Full squats:

130 x 2
    140 x 1
    150 x 1
    100 x 5
    100 x 5

Have a lot to say on this so I'll write it at the bottom as to not distract from the log of tonight's session.

Bench press:

80 x 3
    90 x 1
    92 x 1

Now 92kg is technically a PR, but I'm not too happy with it and I'll explain why. Firstly, I was expecting much more carry-over from the paused benching. Been a while since I've handled ~90kg so, so I suppose it's only my own fault that it felt really heavy in my hands. The problem with the paused benching is that I wasn't handling enough heavy weights and as a result I seem to have lost some of my ability to strain through them.

Now although 92kg is a 1 rep PR, I've doubled 90 before (and this was before I started doing paused benching), and 90 x 2 > 92 x 1. Maybe I had a little bit more in me today, though, and it was just coming back after a week off.

Close grip bench press:

70 x 9
    70 x 5

Nice rep PR on the close grip bench, literally came out of nowhere. But triceps fail quickly and was really, really close to failure on the 5th rep of the second set so I racked it and didn't try a 6th.

My grip width is such that my thumbs can just touch the smooth if I stretch them out.

Deficit deadlifts [3"]:

140 x 9

These were absolutely knackering. Was really out of breath after doing this. Form was quite terrible, too - rounded back and everything. Should've maybe done Romanian deadlifts or something more glute and hamstring based.

Chin ups:

bodyweight x 3
    bodyweight x 3
    bodyweight x 2
    bodyweight x 1
    bodyweight x 1

Haven't done these in a while. Need to get better at them, though.

Okay, so onto the squats now. By "full squats" I mean just that, squatting down until my hamstrings touch my calves. To get into a position to squat that deep, I use the high bar position and have a more upright torso. Trying to go that deep with the low bar position would mean some serious hip tuck. With the low bar position I was previously going well under parallel, but - on good reps at least - my hamstrings were most definitely not touching my calves, as that is too deep for me to maintain good form with a low bar squat.

The high bar position felt strange, at first. Traps felt a bit squished. Overall it was much easier on the shoulders and wrists, though.

Glenn Pendlay is absolutely right when he says the difference in posterior chain activation between the low bar and high bar squat is not nearly as much as common wisdom says. Glutes and hamstrings felt absolutely fried - more so than with low bar squatting, even. I attribute that to the increased range of motion. In squatting, I know from experience that a longer ROM will transfer better to a shortened ROM than the vice versa - so high bar squats will increase my low bar squat, but not the other way around.

Weak hamstrings were definitely showing with the heavier weights. On the 150 I felt my hips shift forward (quite violently, might I add) because my hamstrings just couldn't seem to cope with the hip extension. Also had a very poor bounce out of the hole.

Still need to work on taking a deep breath and keeping tight, too, although I did find it easier with the high bar position to do that.

ReputationRep:
    I might switch to high bar for a cycle on bill starrs too. Could you explain this more - "Weak hamstrings were definitely showing with the heavier weights. On the 150 I felt my hips shift forward (quite violently, might I add) because my hamstrings just couldn't seem to cope with the hip extension. Also had a very poor bounce out of the hole."

I would have thought that hips would have kicked backwards like a low bar squat with torso bent over half way through the squat. What would you estimate your 5rm on these be compared to your low bar?

Also I personally can't say I've felt glutes/hams fried after high bar.... maybe its because they're not as "stretched" for me.. idk.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    I might switch to high bar for a cycle on bill starrs too. Could you explain this more - "Weak hamstrings were definitely showing with the heavier weights. On the 150 I felt my hips shift forward (quite violently, might I add) because my hamstrings just couldn't seem to cope with the hip extension. Also had a very poor bounce out of the hole."
    What happened was I was on the ascent, struggling, then suddenly I feel my hips thrust forward, weight shifts onto balls of feet, stress taken off of hamstrings and onto quads. Felt weird.

I would have thought that hips would have kicked backwards like a low bar squat with torso bent over half way through the squat.
    No, because that'd put my hamstrings in a position to do more work rather than less.

Also I personally can't say I've felt glutes/hams fried after high bar.... maybe its because they're not as "stretched" for me.. idk.
    Maybe you're doing it wrong, then. I can't see how anyone can squat intensely and not feel it in every muscle in their legs.

ReputationRep:
    Hard for me to imagine... but I think its a case of me being very posterior chain dominant... I would assume you were the opposite. I usually only feel it in my abductors... weird.

(Original post by Smack)
    What happened was I was on the ascent, struggling, then suddenly I feel my hips thrust forward, weight shifts onto balls of feet, stress taken off of hamstrings and onto quads. Felt weird.

No, because that'd put my hamstrings in a position to do more work rather than less.

Maybe you're doing it wrong, then. I can't see how anyone can squat intensely and not feel it in every muscle in their legs.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest how much you do SL/RDL and if you don't are GHR's the only indicator of hamstring strength?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.