Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Might consider it. Might consider doing some "extra" workouts at home once I'm finished SS.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

132 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5

Misloaded the first set, but only by a tiny amount and I got all reps of all sets without too much trouble so didn't decide to do an extra set. Definitely think that my Ironworks are throwing my forward, though, felt these a lot on my quads. Going to switch to flat shoes.

Press:

56 x 5
    56 x 5
    56 x 5

Not too hard. Did feel a little painful in my elbows - had that feeling before when I didn't do any biceps curls so was left with weak elbow flexors causing some pain.

Pendlay rows:

76 x 5
    76 x 5
    76 x 5

Easy.

Curls, stretching, home.

ReputationRep:
    Impressive how long you've kept at this.

Nice lifts.

What's your weight at now? I couldn't find current stats etc.

Why are you adding curls to the workout out of interest?

What would be your best tip for someone starting SS.

Cheers
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by milan5baros)
    Impressive how long you've kept at this.

Nice lifts.

What's your weight at now? I couldn't find current stats etc.

Why are you adding curls to the workout out of interest?

What would be your best tip for someone starting SS.

Cheers
    I'm about 97kg.

I'm doing curls because my elbow flexors are weak, and I also want to get jacked too.

My best tip for someone starting SS would be to not go crazy with the calories unless you are extremely underweight. Just because you are spending a few hours a week lifting barbells, your body does not stop following known biological and physical laws. You cannot supercharge your muscle and strength gains with a massive caloric over consumption. All you'll get is a pair of tits and another chin.

Likewise, also don't stop any cardio that you may currently be doing. It's good for the heart and benefits you in the long run.

I suppose there are quite a few tips I could give but I'm going to bed in a couple of minutes (damned early rises for work). Might give some more tomorrow.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Quick session tonight. Between now and middle of August I'm not going to have much time to spend in the gym on weeknights.

Bench press:

80 x 3
    80 x 3
    80 x 3
    60 x 10
    60 x 10
    60 x 9

Triples felt fine. Last rep of last set, triceps just basically burnt out.

Supersetted the last three sets of benches with some rear delts.

Deadlifts:

165 x 5

Not too hard. Form was slightly worse than last time though. Low back felt like it was taking too big a share of the load and the hamstrings and glutes not enough.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

worked up to 150 x 1

Did these in socks. Didn't really feel better than with heeled shoes. The problem, I think, is weak hamstrings rather than the shoes throwing me forward.

Press:

worked up to
    70 x 1
    70 x 1
    70 x 1
    70 x 1

Second and third reps not too hard.

RDLs:

90 x 10
    90 x 10

Grip and forearms were holding me back here. Forgot my straps, dammit.

Dumbbell bench press:

55 x 10
    55 x 6

Forearms just gave out and had to drop the dumbbells.

Finished with some reverse curls and face-pulls.

ReputationRep:
    Nice pressing. If you need some decent flat soled shoes for squatting,

ADIDAS SAMBA

Are amazing
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think I'll just stick with the Ironworks for now and get some stronger hamstrings. If that still doesn't work I'll consider the switch, but my Ironworks, whether or not the heel is a good thing, are effective for gripping the floor and providing a stable, non-compressible sole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Dumbbell bench press:

55 x 10
    55 x 6

Forearms just gave out and had to drop the dumbbells.
    Typo?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SMed)
    Typo?
    No, why? 55kg isn't much, it's only the 27.5s, although granted my barbell bench isn't that much better at the moment either.

I think SMed read it as 55kg DBs, not 55kg as the total weight

That's usually how I read DB press too
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ah okay. I usually do notate it as individual dumbbells, but this time I never included a "s" at the end to indicate that there were individual dumbbells. Using the total weight makes me feel better because there are other ectos here who easily do the 30s+.

ReputationRep:
    Who adds DBs together lol.

Ps 30s for sets of 5 Although I think you could probs do that too
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    June's training review:

Training's being going okay. Eating plenty of real food too now that I'm at work and the canteen here is dirt cheap. Barely taking any whey, and vastly cutting down my junk food intake.

Briefly ran Starting Strength again but got bored within two weeks. It got my squat and deadlift up pretty quickly, though. Not so sure about the bench. One thing I know is that to bench a lot I have to bench a lot, and also make sure I'm doing plenty of upper body volume for hypertrophy, too. What worked best previously was doing some lifts at 90%+ and then some back-off volume. Likewise, for the press, too.

I've also noticed throughout the years that I can press first and then do some benching pretty much fine after, however the vice versa is not true. The press is also something that needs frequent practice, slightly more-so than the bench. So every time I train I'm going to try and hit at least one lift on the press at 90%+. Less if I'm benching after, more if I'm just doing some dumbbell **** instead.

For deadlifts, I'm going to be increasing the weight by 5kg each week for a set of five. Then when I can no longer get five reps, I've drop fown to four, and continue, etc, until I'm down to singles. In theory, this means that by the week of beginning of the October I'll be on 230 for at least a single.

Squatting wise, I'll be doing that twice a week. Not sure on rep ranges yet. Probably a mix.

Training frequency wise, I might have to drop down to twice a week. This is because between now and the 8-18th of August, I have an exam to sit and two pieces of coursework to complete for my masters, which coupled with full time work is eating up all of my free time. These sessions will be extra long, because after a session I can't actually be arsed to do any uni work anyway so rather than go home and do nothing, I'd be better spending the time in the gym. Through the use of supersets I can minmise the time I'm in the gym but not actually lifting, too. Only assistance will be supersetted, though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Adidas90)
    Who adds DBs together lol.

Ps 30s for sets of 5 Although I think you could probs do that too
    Possibly. Next time I do them I'll try and see if I can get the 30s for many sets of six since I'm primarily doing them for hypertrophy.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good session this afternoon.

Squats:

160 x 1
    170 x 1
    175 x 1

Got my old PB again. 170 was probably the hardest as I fell out of line a bit, hips went forward and weight shifted onto toes about half way up, or thereabouts. 175 was quite smooth, although by no means easy. I'm not into speculation so I won't say that I could have definitely go either another rep or four plates, but it didn't feel all out. Hardest part overall was probably how the weight felt on my back.

Box squats:

100 x 8
    120 x 3
    130 x 1

First time doing these in ages. These felt pretty tough - used to the rebound, which as you know these take away. Also legs were pretty tired after the squats. Just couldn't be bothered, really, after the first set. And if I had, I would have probably only got a few extra reps on each set anyway.

Press:

70 x 1
    72 x 1
    74 x 1
    76 x 1

New PB. Happy. Used wrist wraps for the first time in half a year. Definitely paid off. 76 didn't feel all out.

Dumbbell bench press:

30s x 6
    30s x 6
    30s x 6

Supersetted with:

Pendlay rows:

80 x 6
    80 x 6
    90 x 6

Pendlay rows were quite easy. Benching was a little harder. Second set the easiest, first set quite difficult but still smooth; last set had a few grinders, but I got them in the end. Pressing before probably didn't help, but I'm only doing them to get jacked anyway.

Stretching and home.

So this means that I am at least as strong as I was before on the squat and press.

ReputationRep:
    Where has the pressing come from all of a sudden! 76! I might stop push pressing and keep it strict, cos i pp often but dont gain much with it..

Any advice since I'm a smaller version of you?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Adidas90)
    Where has the pressing come from all of a sudden! 76!
    It has hardly came from nowhere! In January I doubled 70, in May I think I got 75. I temporarily lost a lot of strength after my lung infection, exams and starting work where I couldn't be arsed to eat or train for the first week. But then after two weeks of SS my strength seems to have came back.

I might stop push pressing and keep it strict, cos i pp often but dont gain much with it..

Any advice since I'm a smaller version of you?
    In my experience, the strict press transfers better to the push press than the vice versa (in fact, my push press barely transfers to my strict press at all). This is because the push press is essentially a cheated version of the strict press. What can happen with the push press is that you are merely getting more skilled at using leg drive, rather than actually getting stronger shoulders and arms. But with the strict press, when you are adding weight to the bar, you are getting stronger.

Advice would be that if you want to press a lot [of weight] then you've got to press a lot [of times per week]. This works well with the press because due to the low weights involved you can recover from it really easily. Do some heavy lifts to start with, then as back off volume do any sort of pressing you want (I've been doing flat dumbbell benching this past couple of sessions). But the heavy lifts are the most important because it is them that get you stronger - and make sure you do at least a couple, because you need the volume.

ReputationRep:
    Great session Smack.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks brah all taken on board

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.