Heels on or off floor for pp?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Heels on or off floor for pp?
    Don't know, don't think about it.

ReputationRep:
    Very nice pressing - how far did SS style linear progression get you with it? Feels like I'm struggling to break the 3x5 around the 60kg mark.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    Very nice pressing - how far did SS style linear progression get you with it? Feels like I'm struggling to break the 3x5 around the 60kg mark.
    For the bench it got me to mid-70s. For overhead press it got me to... um, I don't really know. I got to 56, I think, without absolutely destroying myself. I don't like to speculate, so that's all I'll say.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    July's Training Review

Most of July went quite well, training wise. Set a squat, push press and strict press 1RM PR, and a deadlift rep PR. However, had to miss out a week's training due to work commitments overseas and also preparing for an exam that I missed the first time round due to illness, plus coursework for my MEng. Hoping to start off where I left off again; hopefully not lost any strength. Otherwise its been a very uninteresting month.

What is more interesting is how quickly time flies when you are working full time as opposed to doing nothing over the summer. Last summer felt like it took an eternity, whereas this one has flown past. It's already into August now and it doesn't feel so long ago that it was just the beginning of summer and I was starting work. I'll soon be finished! Mind you, once I'm finished I'll have more time to sleep and also enough money to eat decently, too.

ReputationRep:
    I like your training reviews.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    First session in a while. Felt good.

Press:

60 x 2
    65 x 1
    70 x 1
    74 x 1
    76 x 1

Matched my PB, felt good, haven't lost any strength on the strict press which is a - nice - surprise.

Push press:

80 x 2
    85 x 2
    90 x 1

Felt like a tonne, so left it at 90.

Deadlifts:

190 x 1
    140 x 5

Felt quite heavy, but got a beltless PR, which is okay I suppose. Was expecting more reps with 140, but it felt much heavier than expected, so stopped it before I started absolutely busting my arse.

Did a triceps and face-pulls superset, 3 x 20 and 3 x 15 respectively, stretched, and then went home.

ReputationRep:
    Are you still going to Uni in Aberdeen I start in Sept, Is it busy during the day?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've never been there during the day as I'm either at work or lectures.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not a great session tonight. Had to wait absolutely ages for a platform so wasn't really warmed up. Tried to warm up with power snatches, but couldn't really do any.

Pause squat:

110 x 2
    120 x 2
    130 x 3
    130 x 3
    130 x 3

Hamstrings are very weak. Also didn't really feel my glutes either, and was struggling to hold breath and keep tight.

Dumbbell bench press:

30s x 5
    30s x 5
    30s x 5

Felt really weak. Maybe I didn't warm up properly (did a set with the 15s, another with the 22.5s). Probably should have overhead pressed.

Pendlay rows:

60 x 5
    70 x 5
    80 x 5
    90 x 5

Last set not entirely strict, but still probably the highlight of the session. Stretched and went home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I actually did this last night but forgot to update it here.

Good session tonight. Not brilliant because I never set or equalled any PRs, but not terrible either because I never had any major **** ups.

Squats:

160 x 1
    170 x 1
    150 x 3
    150 x 3

These were quite hard. Definitely never had four plates in me tonight, but 170 wasn't an absolute max either.

Press:

60 x 2
    65 x 1
    70 x 1
    74 x 1
    50 x 8
    50 x 6
    50 x 4

74 was really a grinder. Never attempted more. Thought I'd try and rep 50 but reps started drastically falling off after the first set of 50.

Speed deadlifts:

140 x 2
    140 x 2
    140 x 2

Not the fastest, but not slow either.

Stretched then went home.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if you had any plans for press and DL?

I'm trying broz PL method applied to PL - so press maxing thrice a week basically, and DL's... I don't rly know what I'm doing tbh (says speed DL thrice a week... but I'm barely coping with the squat work)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Press is essentially: work up to around 75kg strict, then switch to push press and try and get 90+ as well as some volume, apart from sometimes when I'll just get some higher reps with the strict press rather than move onto the push press.

Deadlift training will be changing starting from tomorrow and I'll explain later.

I honestly think that Broz has it backwards in his routine - you should be benching the most because it's the easiest to recover from, and deadlifting the least.

ReputationRep:
    I should have editted... I don't bench but instead replaced it with press. How often do you press like this

ReputationRep:
    Strong pressing!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    I should have editted... I don't bench but instead replaced it with press. How often do you press like this
    Uh, you can see that by reading my log. Which you are already posting in.

I'm soon going to be reintroducing the bench: I'm only doing an experiment at the moment where I am attempting to see how my bench fares by only doing overhead work for a period of time.

(Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Strong pressing!
    Thanks, although it's not strong at all, really.

ReputationRep:
    Nice pressing Smack. Something to add on that theme; Recently my shoulder started playing up with the classic "benching" pain I sometimes get if I get greedy and bench too often/don't do enough back and rear delts stuff and stretching.

Anyway I had to cut benching out for almost 2 weeks, and was pressing like 2-3x week, with all usual stuff like skullcrushers still there. Went back to benching which if it was say, squatting, would have decreased, but was pleasantly surprised to find it slightly stronger than before and set a PB.

Hope it works like that for you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I hope it works that way too!

Especially considering that the bench is better for gaining muscle mass. Wouldn't mind packing some on my chest, arms and shoulders.

Since I'm probably going to be a powerlifter I'll need to bench. I'm also interested in strongman, so I'll need to do overhead work, too. My "big four" will be the squat, bench, deadlift and overhead, where overhead will change between strict and push, depending on what's needing the most work.

ReputationRep:
    You gon compete soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I hope it works that way too!

Especially considering that the bench is better for gaining muscle mass. Wouldn't mind packing some on my chest, arms and shoulders.

Since I'm probably going to be a powerlifter I'll need to bench. I'm also interested in strongman, so I'll need to do overhead work, too. My "big four" will be the squat, bench, deadlift and overhead, where overhead will change between strict and push, depending on what's needing the most work.
    Same goal as mine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.