Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Adidas90)
    You gon compete soon?
    Not within the next 12 months, but after I graduate then hopefully yes.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So as mentioned, I'm going to be changing my deadlift plan. Currently, the plan was to do as much reps as possible with a given weight once a week, and then increase the weight by 5kg each week and keep going until I could only get a single. But that plan was flawed as my aim is to put up a big single, and I've noticed after some analysis that reps do not really transfer to heavy singles.

The other major problem with this plan is that when doing reps, it is very common for form to progressively degrade up completion of each successful rep, until I'm eventually at a stage where my back is like a hump-back bridge and almost stiff-legging it up. With form like this I often fail at the upper half of the lift, something that never happens when I'm using good form. This is something that has been noted by many others, such as Dave Tate and Louie Simmons.

So I'm going to switch to mainly doing singles. Singles transfer better to singles, obviously, and I'll be able to use more weight, too - something that I think is important as I use a fair bit less for a set of five than for a 1RM, and one the hardest things about a 1RM is actually getting the weight moving. Without practice at getting heavy weights moving, then it's difficult to perform a true 1RM. Singles will also allow me to maintain better form - something that I think is more important on the deadlift than the other of the big three: there isn't much that can go wrong with a bench, really, and neither on the squat when I think about it... but pulling with a back that is almost as curved as a semi-circle isn't good.

I'll also be switching things up by pulling from different heights. But not too low, though, as that changes the form too much, in my experience. Grip wise, I'll be going back to mixed grip when required, but still be using hook grip for as much as possible.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good session tonight.

Press:

77 x 1
    78 x f

Nice PR. 78 just felt like a whole different game, though. Not a change in hell was I going to get it on that attempt and never tried any others.

Deadlift:

180 x 1
    190 x 1
    200 x 1
    205 x 1
    210 x 1

Nice 10kg PR. Used mix grip - can definitely see why powerlifters use it. Warm up sets felt much faster than with hook grip - amazing how a change of grip can make such a difference.

Seated dumbbell shoulder press:

20s x 6
    20s x 6
    20s x 6

Slightly harder than they should have been, but after two PRs I'm not that bothered. Also twinged something in my forearm when I was unloaded and tidying up plates after the press, which made things a bit more awkward.

Tried to curl, forearm was having none of it, so stretched and then went home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay session this afternoon.

Paused squats:

130 x 5
    130 x 4
    130 x 5

Stance and, well, everything, was all wrong on the second set so didn't even attempt that last rep. Third set felt the best, I think. All were knackering.

Push press:

90 x 1
    90 x 1
    90 x 1
    90 x 1
    90 x f

Was going to be attempting three triples at 90 but just never had triples in me. I think that the push press is better done for singles at challenging weights anyway. Never did strict pressing to warm up, which maybe I should have looking at the results. Or maybe I was just weak today. I dunno.

Press:

40 x 10
    40 x 10
    40 x 8
    40 x 10
    40 x 10

I completely such at high reps and sets. Missed two reps on the third set due to not enough rest and just feeling completely knackered. Lock out was the hardest part.

Pendlay rows:

80 x 6
    80 x 6
    80 x 5

Quite hard. Didn't have much left in me - my work capacity and conditioning suck. Felt these a lot in my quads too.

Stretched and home.

You maybe are more of a max sort of guy, Smack. My best strict press is 65 for a single, alot less than yours but I can rep 50 x 10 strict. Wish I was the other way tbh.

Btw I posted in your sudgden log a while back, though you probably knew it was me anyway
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Adidas90)
    You maybe are more of a max sort of guy, Smack. My best strict press is 65 for a single, alot less than yours but I can rep 50 x 10 strict. Wish I was the other way tbh.

Btw I posted in your sudgden log a while back, though you probably knew it was me anyway
    Yes I definitely think I am more of a 1RM guy. Although I have done 50 x 9 strict.

I didn't know it was you that posted in my Sugden log - didn't even know you were over there. I'll check out your log.

Ok dude
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Mixed session tonight.

Squats:

worked up to 160 x 1

Wasn't feeling good squatting tonight. Form was all wrong and warm ups were too slow. 160 wasn't an absolute grinder but stopped it there as it's still ~90%.

Press:

70 x 1
    75 x 1
    78 x 1

New PR. Quite happy.

Seated dumbbell shoulder press:

24s x 5
    24s x 4

Wasn't feeling good with these. Left wrist still feeling awkward with dumbbells.

Face pulls:

5 x 10

Triceps overhead rope extensions:

some x some

Stretched then went home.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your PR! Strong pressing
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks bro. Hopefully 80 comes really soon.

ReputationRep:
    Good pressing dude, are they strict? I hit a PB myself today, 70 x 3. We're probably about the same pressing wise, maybe my 1rm would be a little less.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Khanage)
    Good pressing dude, are they strict? I hit a PB myself today, 70 x 3. We're probably about the same pressing wise, maybe my 1rm would be a little less.
    Yeah, strict.

Taking tonight off due to forearm still feeling funny.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Bit of a meh session tonight.

Press:

70 x 1
    75 x 1
    77 x 1
    79 x f

Failed but not too unhappy about it as I wasn't really expecting it. Shoulders were feeling funny too, so to be at only 1kg less than brand new PR when shoulders feeling this isn't too bad at all.

Block deadlifts 2" below knee:

190 x 1
    210 x 1
    220 x 1
    230 x f

Bit disappointing really. Was hoping for quite a bit more - I know from experience that I am definitely better from pulling from this position than the floor. But back was totally rounding and had no hamstring or glute strength. Grip was also weak, too. And maybe it was just a bad day, too...

Bradford press:

40kg 3 x 16 (8 front, 8 back)

Hamstring curls:

3 x 6 each leg

Skull crushers:

3 x 10

Stretched and went home.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if you had microplates and wt kind they are?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Just wondering if you had microplates and wt kind they are?
    My gym has 5s, 2s, 1s and 0.5s. Oddly no 1.25s though, but it doesn't really matter when you have 0.5s and can make kg increments.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    *******s session tonight. Tried to squat but knee was having none of it. Did some broomstick squats side on to the mirror and I really cannot seem to sit back at all. Hamstrings and glutes even are definitely very weak.

Press:

worked up to 75 x 1

Was very hard.

Seated dumbbell press:

20s x 9
    20s x 7
    20s x 6

These were dropping off quite quickly so stopped after three sets. First set not bad for feeling *******s but still ****ing awful.

Did some upper back and biceptz then went home.

ReputationRep:
    I hate when this happens.. nothing goes up to plan
    But I have noticed after every weak session I feel much stronger.. :P
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hopefully that happens with me as well.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    August's Training Review

August felt quite gash because I didn't get much sessions done due to real life constraints but I did actually set 2 PRs - bench and press.

September should be better though, training consistency wise.

I've got some deadlift slippers and I'm going to try them with squats and see how they feel.

I'm toying with the idea of doing either: Madcow's 5x5 again, the Texas Method, or even a Westside routine. I think that I would greatly benefit from having some structure to my training - particularly for the squat as I don't think I've actually gotten any stronger on it in the whole of 2011!

I'll soon start benching again - it'll be interesting to see where it's at given that I've not benched for ages but set some overhead PRs.

ReputationRep:
    I like to read your monthly reviews
    btw. what were the pr's ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.