Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by josht36)
    Have you ever found managing engineering lectures alongside the gym a problem?
    Not at all. Lectures are usually in the morning anyway, with most afternoons and all evenings free. I prefer to go in the evening anyway.

I have been debating the advantages/disadvantages of paying £90 more for peak membership rather than just going at the weekends and before 9oclock starts in the week.
    You're extremely unlikely to be going to the gym before 9am, especially as a student, mate. The more likely scenario is that every morning is a scramble to get out of bed and put something on in time to make it to the lecture theatre before you're so late that there's no point in even going.

The extra 90 quid is definitely worth it if you actually plan to make use of your gym membership rather than have it just for the odd occasion that you might want to pretend to yourself that you want to be aesthetic.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not so good session tonight.

Squats:

136 x 5
    136 x 5
    136 x 5

Definitely ditching the Ironworks. Wore them again tonight and it is very apparently that they negate the posterior chain, particularly the hamstrings. Get a nice pump in my quads though. Keep me upright too, which is the opposite of what I want.

Also tore an easy access hole in my shorts too. Had to wander around with that for most of the session.

Bench:

73 x 5
    73 x 5
    73 x 5

Weight felt heavy, as it always does with the bench, but did all of the reps without much bother.

Deadlift:

175 x 5

Extreme lack of hamstring and glute strength very obvious doing these tonight. Were almost exclusively a low back exercise. In fact, low back (and quads from squats) still pumped.

Went home as I didn't want to stretch with a massive hole in my shorts.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Actually quite a good session tonight.

Squats:

140 x 5
    140 x 5
    140 x 5

Did these in deadlift slippers and felt much better: wasn't getting thrown forward and felt a little bit more posterior chain being used. No, as of yet, knee pain either (I had quite bad knee pain yesterday after Wednesday's squats).

However, still extremely little posterior chain drive, quads were still feeling pumped and hamstrings still feeling unused. I'm not sure whether I'll need to start right from the beginning in developing strength in my hamstrings and glutes. Before I seriously consider that question, though, I'll start doing some hip mobility stuff, and maybe check out the Glute Guy (no homo) too. I'll also add in RDLs after deadlifts, as back-off volume, and see if that helps too. I'd hate to have to reset my squat to like 100kg and deadlift to 140.

Press:

53 x 5
    53 x 5
    53 x 5

Easy enough.

Pendlay rows:

73 x 5
    73 x 5
    73 x 5

As above.

Dips:

bodyweight x 5/5/3

Discovered another dip station in the gym, and this one has a much narrower grip. Felt so much better on my shoulders, perhaps because it used less of them compared to triceps. Not a great improvement over last time but since my triceps are very small and weak and this put extra emphasis on them I'm not surprised.

Stretched and went home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Long session tonight. Gym was also really busy, which was surprising given that it was Freshers' Week. I mean, I thought the Freshers would all be out getting trashed - that's what I did on mine, it took me several weeks to get into a fit enough state to be able to attend the gym again.

Squats:

142 x 5
    142 x 5
    142 x 5

First set was a quads dominant mess. Second and third sets were a little bit better.

Bench press.

76 x 5
    76 x 5
    76 x 5

Not easy, but not excruciatingly difficult.

Deadlift:

180 x 5

Form was a bit better this time, thankfully.

Romanian Deadlifts:

70 x 10
    70 x 10

Done these a lot stricter than normal to really get the stretch in the hamstrings.

Chins:

bodyweight x 3/3/2/2

Represents a slight improvement.

Stretched and went home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Quite a good session tonight.

Squats:

145 x 5
    145 x 5
    145 x 5

Wore my ironworks tonight to compare. Wasn't expecting too good a results as my hamstrings were still feeling pretty bad DOMS. However did feel slightly better hip drive and posterior chain involvement. Hamstrings are still weak (and tight), but I've noticed that starting the lift leaning forward slightly massively helps with sitting back.

Press:

56 x 5
    56 x 5
    56 x 5

A bit harder.

Pendlay row:

76 x 5
    76 x 5
    76 x 5

Easy.

Dips:

bodyweight x 0

Just couldn't do any tonight for some reason. Shoulder was having none of it, and this was on the same station that my shoulder felt fine on last time.

Stretched and went home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good session tonight:

Squats:

147 x 5
    147 x 5
    147 x 5

Form on first two sets a bit iffy - wasn't arching back hard enough or sitting back properly so was either rising hips faster than chest or doing a quads squat. Last set was much better form.

Bench press:

79 x 5
    79 x 5
    79 x 5

First set was the hardest; last two felt noticeably easier. Probably because I had the reassurance of a spotter if needed.

Deadlifts:

185 x 4.5 (last rep hitched to finish)

First three/four reps were better form than last time but last one was hitched because I was quite winded by that time and couldn't keep a flat back and the bar close to my shins.

Chins:

bodyweight x 3/3/2/2

Not too bad.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Quite a good session tonight.

Squats:

150 x 5
    150 x 5
    150 x 5

Form was okay for first two sets and first few reps of last set but broke down slightly as I was feeling it a bit.

Also, biceps tendons really, really pumped for some reason. Got this last summer, it was followed by pain. The solution was to do more biceptz curls.

Press:

59 x 5
    59 x 5
    59 x 5

Thought my pumped/sore biceps tendons would have really ****ed these but thankfully it didn't. Not too bad either.

Pendlay rows:

80 x 5
    80 x 5
    80 x 5

Fine enough.

No dips as didn't want to aggregate sore tendons.

ReputationRep:
    What's the plan smack? I can see a pattern with the recent squat deload but the rest?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Adidas90)
    What's the plan smack? I can see a pattern with the recent squat deload but the rest?
    Starting Strength with rows instead of power cleans.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Body wasn't ready tonight for some reason. But not a terrible session by any means.

Squats:

152 x 5
    152 x 5
    152 x 5

Form on first two sets wasn't brilliant, very quads dominant. Conditioning also felt lacking this afternoon - was quite out of breath and had to take longer rest periods. Flexibility also poor - did some free squats parallel to the mirror and today I couldn't even hit parallel without quite a bit of butt-wink.

Bench:

82 x 2

This was most disappointing. Quad pump from squats was interfering with leg drive, and had to use safety bars to catch in the event of failure as there was no-one trust worthy about to spot me and I wasn't in a place I could tip the bar to roll the plates off. This massively interfered with set up and form too, as for the pins to be any use they have to be at the height that is almost exactly the height that the bar touches my chest, which causes clipping and ****s me up.

Deadlifts:

185 x 5

All deadlifts were done properly i.e. no hitch on the last rep. However form still felt quite poor - extremely low back dominant with no leg drive to initiate the break off of the floor and no posterior chain involvement to help lock the bar out.

Chins:

bodyweight x 3/3/4

Got all 10 reps in three sets, quite happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Flexibility also poor - did some free squats parallel to the mirror and today I couldn't even hit parallel without quite a bit of butt-wink.
    :awesome:

Good deadlifting regardless of not quite feeling it today, though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks. According to Wendler's formula it puts me at ad 215 max. I remember creating a deadlift plan in the middle of the summer which said I'd be at a proven 225 by now but things never go quite as well as you plan.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    September's Training Review

September's training went quite well - certainly much better than if I had continued to try and do my own thing. The one thing that pervades my training so far is that I only make real progress on multiple lifts when I follow a pre-made routine, and also one that is based on multiple sets, either across or ramped, of the main lifts and training the entire body each session.

So it makes perfect sense that I'm back on Starting Strength. And it's working fine at the moment, too, and the plan is to follow it for as long as possible (i.e. until it stops working). Once this happens I might experiment with a deload using ramping sets instead of sets across, to see how it works in the context of Starting Strength (it works very well in the context of Madcow's 5x5).

Then after that I'll go onto an advanced novice programme, which will essentially be squatting twice a week on Monday and Friday (with maybe some light squats on Wednesday), benching twice a week on Monday and Friday with overhead done on Wednesday along with the deadlift. Since I'm interested in powerlifting I'll need more bench practice compared to overhead, which doesn't seem to help my bench much, if anything, but I still like to do it because it's cool.

And hopefully that's my programming laid out until at least the new year. The aim is to stay on this type of programming until at least the end of the year rather than make something up myself and not progress any. I want to at least be stronger by the end of the year than I was at the start and at the end of last year, and at the moment I'm not really. My squat and bench are down a little bit; although my overhead and deadlift are actually up a little bit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Bit of a gash session this afternoon, too. Body wasn't ready, and had to rush as I was short of time.

Squats:

only did 120 x 5 because knee has been giving me some bother today and hips were still sore. Noticed that my form is different with the belt than without when it shouldn't be - I can sit back more with the belt.

My main problems on the squat are inflexible and weak hamstrings and weak abs. Also need to take proper, deeper breaths too.

Press:

62 x 5
    62 x 5
    62 x 3

Biceps tendons were feeling destroyed for some reason, and missed the fourth rep of the last set. So need to do more curls as I've had this problem before and curls fixed it.

Pendlay rows:

82 x 5
    82 x 5
    82 x 5

Not too much bother.

Chins:

bodyweight x 3/3

Stopped there as biceps and elbows not happy.

Finished with some curls and then stretching.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Mixed session tonight.

Squats:

154 x 5
    154 x 5
    154 x 5

Form was hit and miss. I'll wait until tomorrow with feedback from my knee before I fully comment.

Bench press:

82 x 4
    82 x 3
    82 x 2

Disappointing. Going to reset this.

Deadlifts:

190 x 5

Felt slightly easier than last time, but last rep was quite a grinder.

Chins:

bodyweight x 4/3/3

No improvement, but no loss either.

Skull crushers:

2 x 10

Stretched and went home.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to reset things alot smackster. Do you reset before the reps start to get really hard grinders? I'm just wondering cos I wasted literally a year or two of training just wussing out when reps got hard, thinking it was form issues etc.

Sometimes if I'm due to squat a certain weight for 3x5, I might warm up to it and find even a single at that weight is hard, but I'll grind them out anyway to remind myself not to be a pussy. People watching are always like "oh dem reps were very hard and slow, drop dat weight down" but I always ignore and then eventually cover new ground
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Adidas90)
    You seem to reset things alot smackster. Do you reset before the reps start to get really hard grinders? I'm just wondering cos I wasted literally a year or two of training just wussing out when reps got hard, thinking it was form issues etc.

Sometimes if I'm due to squat a certain weight for 3x5, I might warm up to it and find even a single at that weight is hard, but I'll grind them out anyway to remind myself not to be a pussy. People watching are always like "oh dem reps were very hard and slow, drop dat weight down" but I always ignore and then eventually cover new ground
    I don't think I reset things much at all. I'm only resetting the bench because I've failed twice in a row and there is no way I'm going to go from 2 reps on the last set to 5.

What I might actually do is start an advanced novice routine on Monday since after speaking to someone else at the gym it might be possible that the squatting is taking away my energy from benching. I might do 5x5 ramped squats on Monday and Friday, with deadlifts on Wednesday, and keeping the current 3x5 alternating for bench and press.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good session tonight:

Squats:

160 x 1
    170 x 1
    180 x 1
    185 x 1

Nice PR. Wasn't absolutely excruciatingly difficult. Finally in the four plate squat club.

Press:

62 x 5
    62 x 5
    62 x 5

Got them all this time. Very, very difficult, though.

Pendlay row:

85 x 5
    85 x 5
    85 x 5

Forgot chalk so grip was poor but otherwise not too hard.

Went home because I've got stuff to do.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the squat PR!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks sis.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.