Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Becca)
    Better to go tO the loo mid session and get a bit cold than poo yourself mid-lift :mmm:
    Sounds like the voice of experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Sounds like the voice of experience.
    Lol, not quite but I've seen some videos. It was wee not poo though!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Becca)
    Lol, not quite but I've seen some videos. It was wee not poo though!
    Seen it too. Shame she didn't even make the lift. Funny that she tried to wipe it up with her feet at the end.

Also lol'd at this:

"I just kept pulling and peeing. it was life altering."
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

140 x 5/5/5

Easy enough. Was really able to stick my ass back on these, too, so form definitely improving.

Bench press:

90 x 4/1
    60 x 10 - paused 1s

Meh. Elbows felt really jacked up tonight. Also I'm not sure if I've really gotten any stronger at this, maybe I've just got better at bouncing. I dunno, I (foolishly) haven't paid much attention to form on the bench, just trying to get as much weight as possible. Going to reset this and actually pause it on the chest, if only for a split second. At least I know my triceps are strong enough to lock out 90 four times.

RDLs:

80 x 5/5/5

Easy enough, did these quite fast. Going to keep adding 5kg a week until they get really hard.

Skull crushers:

bar + 30 x 10

Even though my elbows were really bothering me I still managed a PR on this. Perhaps I shouldn't have even attempted it though given my elbows.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    First session in almost a week. Feeling a bit stiff and out of the grove.

Squats:

145 x 5/5/5

As said above, feeling a bit stiff, particularly in the hip flexors so form wasn't as good as the last two times. Low back was probably rounding and chest not always up enough.

Press:

64 x 5/5/5

First set was the hardest. Other two sets not quite so bad.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/4/3/2/2/1/1/1/1

Twenty reps in total.

Stretched and home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So it's Hogmanay and thus it's appropriate to review both December's and 2011's training.

Firstly, regarding December's training, as expected with university deadlines and Christmas I didn't get much done. Set a bench, press and deadlift PRs, though, especially happy with 200 x 5 on the deadlift. Squat form also improved, too, at least briefly, although I was probably just very tight from sitting on my ass doing nothing the previous six days.

Regarding 2011's training, I generally spent too much time for the first half of the year doing my own programming, which wasn't really planned but turned out to be whatever I thought of the night before. I spent much of the time, like with the last third of 2010, not making any progress on anything; in fact regressing on some lifts.

However, when I did go back on Starting Strength I made fairly good progress. Thankfully I am stronger at this point than I was at the same point last year.

Now onto 2012's goals. Most importantly, I want to be stronger on the 1st of January 2013 than I was/will be on the 1st of January 2012. This is not a given; throughout my training career there have been several times when, due to illness, that I have been weaker one year on. There is also the problem of spending too much time dicking around exercising, getting a pump and using all sorts of assistance lifts than actual hard training that is actually responsible for strength gains.

So the first goal is to be stronger this time next year than I am now. This includes the subgoal of keeping using tried and tested programming rather than wasting time finding out that whatever I thought up in my head doesn't actually work.

Secondly, onto numbers;

Squat: 220
    Bench: 130
    Deadlift: 250
    Press: 90
    Power Clean: same as bench

All as 1RMs.

Nothing involves an increase of anything close to 1kg a week so are all hopefully doable. Physique wise it is to gain as much muscle as possible during the year.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    First session of 2012 tonight. Lost some bodyweight via new years illness but not much. Been stressed lately with exams so was good to get in the gym as I temporarily forgot about everything apart from lifting, which was nice.

Squats:

170 x 1
    115 x 3 - paused
    115 x 3 - paused
    140 x 7

Worked up to 170 x 1. Was quite slow and wasn't happy with form - almost all quads. Did some paused reps after to try and feel the glutes and hamstrings and also put hips further back. It worked. I then went back up to 140. Wasn't heavy but my cardio ****ed up and thus form was deteriorating so stopped at 7 reps.

Bench press:

90 x 1
    95 x 1
    100 x 0

Missed 100 but spotter said 95 was pretty fast. It's always been the same with my bench: a weight goes up easy enough but then only a small percentage above it I fail with. Oh well not benched in like 4 weeks so could have gone worse.

Deadlifts:

170 x 1
    190 x 1
    210 x 1
    215 x f,f

Just didn't have the strength to get 215 to budge. Not deadlifted in a while either and form wasn't nearly as good as when I did 195 for 5.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay session tonight.

Squats:

140 x 5
    150 x 1
    160 x 1
    170 x 1

140 wasn't too much bother at all. On 170 felt form deteriorate a bit e.g. knees coming in and shifting forward a bit in the hole so stopped it there although wasn't too much bother again.

Press:

60 x 5

Failed 6th. Pressing strength down a bit but that's to be expected.

Push press:

90 x 1
    95 x f

Bit ambitious to try and go for a PB given I've not trained in a while and haven't done this lift for many months now but gave it a go and failed.

Power cleans:

worked up to 90 x 1

Form poor from not doing for so long again.

Stretched and home.

ReputationRep:
    Good squatting.. *sigh* when will I even hit 2x my BW.. I have finally figured out how to 'squat'( BS) properly in a way such that my shoulders don't hurt after all this time of lifting.Did some squatting today... form looked smooth up to 90 , front squats on the other hand... 80kg for a single was a grind..

My OHP has gone down the drain as well lol didn't lift for over 4 months..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You've just got to get the form nailed down and then keep practising multiple times per week and eventually you'll get there.

ReputationRep:
    What program you doing? SS?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    At the moment I'm not doing anything, just getting back into things after exams. But soon I'm going to do a modified SS, just with less pulling from the floor as that's what really tanks my recovery, i.e. I'll be deadlifting once a week and that'll be my only pulling from the floor. The pressing and chinning volume will be increased.

ReputationRep:
    squatting 3x5 adding 2.5kg each session?

I'm coming back from layoff and deciding how to approach squats exactly (using SS-style)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes, starting next week.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

140 x 8

Weight easy enough but cardio fail!

Bench press:

90 x 1
    95 x 1
    80 x 6

95 felt heavier than last time so never went any higher.

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/5/3/3/3

PB on first set by one rep.

Stretched and home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Back on Starting Strength.

Not feeling that great either. Been doing a lot of travelling these past two days and think I've caught something.

Squats:

140 x 5/5/5

Kicked my ass cardiovascularly and mentally although went up smoothly.

Press:

60 x 5/5/5

First set was the hardest.

Deadlifts:

180 x 5

Kicked my ass again. Form seems to have massively deteriorated in the few weeks I've not done them and grip feels different too.

Went home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Found out tonight that I've lost a good few kilos in bodyweight. Probably helps explain why strength losses.

Squats:

142.5 x 5/5/5

Not super hard but not easy.

Bench press:

82.5 x 5/5/4

Just need spotter on last rep a tiny, tiny little bit so can't count it. Get it next time though.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/4/3/3

Wasn't feeling these tonight.

Stretched and home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    January's Training Review

Not much happened in January with exams and travelling to interviews. It's always been a bit of a write-off month, so nothing to report.

Most disappointingly I have lost a bit of weight, though, so will need to regain it (and more) as soon as possible.

Also been ill twice so far this year. Immune system got tanked after deadlifts last Friday and again after Wednesday's training session. First time that's ever happened, let alone on two consecutive sessions.

ReputationRep:
    i don't know how you continue daily linear progression with press/bench, squats are understandable ;P.....do you even add weight every session?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't understand your question. If you're not adding weight every session then it's obviously not linear progression.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.