The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1360
Original post by AreebWithaHat
Lol I guess so, I'm lucky in that my gym is full of old people or teens that stick with machines rather than the racks :biggrin:

It will be better once im at uni, more free time and the gym is much bigger so i can go at off peak times and maximise progress.
Reply 1361
Sean are you working now fully?
Okay session tonight. Quick one.

Squats:

150 x 5

Very hard but made them all. Going to go back to 5x5 for a while to build up some strength and help my form.

Good mornings:

50 x 10/10/10

Okay.

Them some stretching and home.
Fairly dire session tonight.

Press:

72.5 x 2

Just had nothing in me tonight.

T-bar rows:

55 x 8/8/8

Easy enough but felt these all in my low back.

Dumbbell bench press:

30s x 10/8/7

Unexpectedly got 10 on the first set, so not that bad.

Then some stretching and home.
Average, and very short, session tonight.

Pause squats:

120 x 5

Quite hard. Not squatted for almost two weeks!

Dumbbell bench press:

30s x 10/7/5

Really tailed off at the end.

Then home.
Better session tonight. Lost some weight recently and down to just under 90kg! ****ing hell, really need to get back on track.

Squats:

130 x 5/5/5

Not too difficult at all.

Press:

60 x 5/5/5

Ditto.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/5

Ditto.

Lat pull downs:

3 x 10

It's funny because if I put the weight two notches up I have barely any strength, however on the notch I have it at it's fairly light. Oh well gets a nice pump.

Home.
Slightly better than average session tonight:

Squats:

132.5 x 5/5/5

Not too bad at all.

Hang cleans:

up to 95 x 1

Quite hard, but not cleaned in months now so technique lacking and also legs tired from doing it right after squats.

Dumbbell bench press:

36s x 4
32s x 8/4

Quite hard. Triceps are weak.

Skull crushers:

bar + 30 x 10/9

Hard again.

Then home.
How long on average do your workouts take? I'm looking to get back to the gym when I'm back in the country but I can never set myself on one routine and I'm sick of reading such contrasting gym routines online. You could class me as a beginner, I have a good build for lifting but I just want to get stuck in. Not hijacking your blog, Smack, but I've just read through some of your entries and wondered if anyone has any recommendations for me, I essentially want to gain strength and endurance?
Original post by Cheese_Monster
How long on average do your workouts take? I'm looking to get back to the gym when I'm back in the country but I can never set myself on one routine and I'm sick of reading such contrasting gym routines online. You could class me as a beginner, I have a good build for lifting but I just want to get stuck in. Not hijacking your blog, Smack, but I've just read through some of your entries and wondered if anyone has any recommendations for me, I essentially want to gain strength and endurance?

I usually spend about an hour and a half actually working out, not including the warm-up or any post session stretching and mobility.

In what context do you want to gain endurance?
Original post by Smack
I usually spend about an hour and a half actually working out, not including the warm-up or any post session stretching and mobility.

In what context do you want to gain endurance?

Well I suppose endurance in the sense of being able to endure higher weights :tongue:
Well I suppose endurance in the sense of being able to endure higher weights :tongue:

So you just want to get stronger, then?
Original post by Smack
So you just want to get stronger, then?

Basically...
Basically...

Just lift weights and eat food then.

I started out doing a routine called "Starting Strength" (hence the name of the log) but there are others that work as well.

It's primarily about consistency, both in terms of the weights and the food.

If you do it right then initially you will make really quick gains but they slow down.

Just join a decent gym and start ASAP.
Good session tonight. Left hip hurting though so did some stuff to try and fix it and it worked enough to let me squat tonight. Maybe just tendinitis or something. I had it before when I started squatting frequently again all of a sudden.

Squats:

135 x 5/5/5

Quite hard. Farted at the bottom of some of them too which may have been dangerous.

Press:

62.5 x 5/5/5

Not too bad.

Rows:

70 x 5/5/5

Super strict again. Not too bad.

Curls:

3 x 15

Face-pulls:

3 x 15

Home.
Did this one last night but forgot to post it here.

Hard one tonight. Feeling the heat I think.

Squats:

137.5 x 5/5/5

Some of the hardest squats I have done for a long ****ing time.

Bench press:

80 x 5
90 x 2

Not done these in a while so quite hard. Also tried to do some decline dumbbell bench press first because it's a Monday which is the de facto chest day so couldn't get a bench and bar, but it was awkward as ****, and then a bench and bar became available so I just did that instead.

Power cleans:

95 x 1
100 x f

Again not done these in ages and also tried. Wrist was hurting a little bit too.

Some mobility and home.
Light session tonight. Feeling exhausted and dehydrated so was far more challenging than it should have been.

Squats:

100 x 5/5

Press:

50 x 5/5

Leg curls

only one set each leg, couldn't be arsed.

Home.
Okay session tonight. Again, feeling dehydrated since not been drinking much fluids.

Pause squats:

only up to 120 x 2

Hip is injured at left side. Couldn't squat any more.

Bench press:

90 x 3/3/3/2

Better than I thought!

Deadlifts:

160 x 5

Very easy.

Seated dumbbell bench press:

28s x 4
22s x 10/9

28s were hard and dropped one initially as it came too far away from me to control. The 22s were quite easy to first time but the second time they started to get hard at over 5 reps so didn't get another 10.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5

Had to leave early because I felt like I was going to projectile vomit.
Meh session tonight. Quick one too.

Pause squats:

105 x 5/5

Difficult, but pain free hip-wise.

Press:

65 x 5/5/5

Last few reps very difficult.

Wanted to do deadlifts but needed a dump so had dump but then was all cooled down again and gym was full and stomach a bit sore so just went home.
Reply 1378
Original post by Smack

Wanted to do deadlifts but needed a dump so had dump but then was all cooled down again and gym was full and stomach a bit sore so just went home.

Classy :lol: good progress! Wish you a speedy recovery on your hip!
First session tonight for over a week. Feeling really ****ty for ages and lost a bit of weight but hopefully better now. Not such a bed return as usual to be honest.

Squats:

120 x 3
130 x 3
140 x 3

Very difficult.

Bench press:

80 x 5
90 x 1

Not sure what happened on the 90, probably just mental, but the 80 wasn't too difficult so was expecting to get at least 3 on 90.

GHRs:

bodyweight x 10/10/10

Not too bad. First time doing these in ages.

Pull downs:

5 x 10

Couldn't get a space to do chins or rows so just went straight to these.

Skull crushers:

bar + 20 x 10/10/10/10

Quite easy.

Home.

Quick Reply

Latest