Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by a10)
    Just out of curiosity, do you use a thumb-less grip when pressing?

That's the way I learnt it when I started and what I have been doing ever since haha!
    No, thumbs around. Can grip the bar tighter which activates a little bit more of the available muscle mass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    No, thumbs around. Can grip the bar tighter which activates a little bit more of the available muscle mass.
    I find though when I try to wrap my thumbs around my wrists will hurt....might be a positioning issue! Also found that I can't squat heavy ass weight because when I do I start getting bad lower back issues...not sure if wearing a belt will make any difference haven't tried that.

Might just stick to a lower weight and do higher rep squats (6-8 reps), my back seems to handle that fine with no issues. How's your back doing?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by a10)
    I find though when I try to wrap my thumbs around my wrists will hurt....might be a positioning issue! Also found that I can't squat heavy ass weight because when I do I start getting bad lower back issues...not sure if wearing a belt will make any difference haven't tried that.

Might just stick to a lower weight and do higher rep squats (6-8 reps), my back seems to handle that fine with no issues. How's your back doing?
    Your wrists hurt when you wrap your thumbs around because you are probably allowing them to bend back, i.e. creating an additional moment arm from the bar to the wrist.

Your back issue is probably due to you form.

Osteo said that my back is fine and that it's mainly a glute issue. That area where the low back meets the glutes does feel very sore and tender, so I'm foam rolling and lacrosse balling it to see if it helps.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wasn't feeling up to it tonight at all. Not in the slightest. So did some light bench (70 3x5) and some foam rolling and lacrosse ball work then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    An average session tonight.

Squats:

125 x 5
    140 x 5
    155 x 5

155 was quite hard. Heaviest I've went in 2 weeks. Maybe de-trained a little.

Press 2.0:

60 x 5/5/5

Not too bad I don't think, although it's definitely harder doing it this was as opposed to utilising the stretch reflex on the bottom.

Deadlifts:

170 x 5

These were the nadir of the night. Felt awkward, grip felt weak, several misses in between reps, maybe just wasn't manning up to it.

Some lacrosse ball work throughout the session then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Average again.

Light squats:

122.5 x 5/5

Bench press:

82.5 x 5/5/5

Okay. But hurt my ass again doing these. Not sure how.

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/6/6/4

Some lacrosse ball work and foam rolling then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay session tonight.

Squats:

150 x 5/5/5

Getting back into sets across to see how low back/glutes feel, whilst trying to keep form tight too e.g. ass back, knees out etc.

Press:

62.5 x 4/4/4/3

Meh. Triceps fatiguing on the last rep. Maybe not leaning back enough either or bracing abs enough.

Chins:

bodyweight x 4/4/4/4/4/4/4/4

Trying to get some volume in, since these just aren't improving otherwise.

Some lacrosse ball work then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not a bad session tonight, especially given that low back felt a bit worse yesterday and today. Think it's still the glute issue.

Squats:

125 x 5/5

Light squats.

Bench press:

85 x 5/5/5

Okay, but I keep setting up too close to the uprights and as a result the bar was clipping the J-hooks on some reps.

Deadlifts:

170 x 5

Went for 170 again. A bit better than last time, but still need to squeeze chest up and was still a bit too much on the toes to set up on some of the later reps.

Some stretching and lacrosse ball work then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good session tonight. Still dealing with left glute issue.

Squats:

152.5 x 5/5/5

First set not too bad, but last rep of last two sets quite difficult.

Press:

62.5 x 5/5/5

Got them all this time.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/5/5/5/5/5

A bit more difficult towards the end.

Some stretching, lacrosse ball work and then home.

ReputationRep:
    Nice chins volume
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hoping the volume helps drive them up, since I still suck at them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Hoping the volume helps drive them up, since I still suck at them.
    You appear to suck less than I do.

Current bodyweight?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Gone Revising II)
    You appear to suck less than I do.

Current bodyweight?
    About 90.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Decent session tonight.

Squats:

127.5 x 5/5

Light squats, although felt heavier, but I suspect that when light squats feel a bit heavier that's when you know you need them.

Bench press:

87.5 x 5/5/5
    92.5 x 1
    97.5 x 1
    102.5 x f

Happy with getting all the reps of the worksets but unfortunately never had a new PR in me.

Deadlifts:

175 x 5

Felt much better than previous sessions recently; was rocking back to get the weight over mid-foot and as a result the bar was staying much closer to me.

Tried some chin ups, didn't get many done at all, some lacrosse ball work then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Just quickly went in to do some chins this afternoon and some stretching and lacrosse ball type work. For chins did bodyweight x 8/7/6/5.

ReputationRep:
    Hey do you have transformation pics?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Meh session this afternoon.

Squats:

155 x 5/5/5

Last set very difficult. First set not too bad I don't think. About same as last time I did this, overall, I would say.

Press:

65 x 5/4/3/3

Meh. After first set was really feeling them in the shoulders (strange, I know). On the later sets just didn't have the strength in me.

Deadlifts:

180 x 4

Didn't feel quite as good as last time. Belt was possibly too tight, inhibiting proper set up, and the bar didn't feel like it was being dragged up the the thighs like last time, like I was setting up a bit too far forward of the mid-foot, or wasn't getting enough lat tension.

A bit of lacrosse ball work then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Just a quick one this afternoon, doing stretching and lacrosse ball work and some chins (bodyweight x 8/8/7/5).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    What is your all time 5rm on pressing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2018
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.