Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    What is your all time 5rm on pressing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Old style, i.e making use of the stretch reflex, so essentially going from top to bottom to top again like on the bench press, 72 x 5.

On the new style, i.e. all reps paused at the bottom, it's 65 x 5. Overall I do prefer this style due to the much lower tendency to hyper-extend the **** out of my low back.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Average session this afternoon/evening.

Squats:

157.5 x 5/5/5

Very difficult. First set the bar felt a little too high, which may have made them more like high bar squats. I think the first set was actually the hardest, although the final rep was also difficult.

Bench press:

90 x 4/4/2
    80 x 7

90 seems to be a real hurdle for me. Actually failed on 5th rep on the first set, and I think that an actual failure takes a lot out of you which possibly also contributed to only getting a double on the last set. I know from experience that higher reps help me at least a little bit, so I'm going to start adding in a back-off set at the end. 80 didn't feel hard until I got to the sticking point on the 7th rep so racked at as the point of a back-off is not to go to failure.

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/5/5

Meh.

Some lacrosse ball work, stretching then home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Average session this afternoon/evening.

Squats:

157.5 x 5/5/5

Very difficult. First set the bar felt a little too high, which may have made them more like high bar squats. I think the first set was actually the hardest, although the final rep was also difficult.

Bench press:

90 x 4/4/2
    80 x 7

90 seems to be a real hurdle for me. Actually failed on 5th rep on the first set, and I think that an actual failure takes a lot out of you which possibly also contributed to only getting a double on the last set. I know from experience that higher reps help me at least a little bit, so I'm going to start adding in a back-off set at the end. 80 didn't feel hard until I got to the sticking point on the 7th rep so racked at as the point of a back-off is not to go to failure.

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/5/5

Meh.

Some lacrosse ball work, stretching then home.
    Why not do variations to help you through plateaus?

For example I changed flat benching to incline benching and that has worked wonders! Every time I get stronger on incline my flat is automatically sky rocketing despite not even flat benching any more.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Where do you fail? Off the bottom?
    Do you pause?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by a10)
    Why not do variations to help you through plateaus?

For example I changed flat benching to incline benching and that has worked wonders! Every time I get stronger on incline my flat is automatically sky rocketing despite not even flat benching any more.
    I used to try that and it didn't work. I kinda like forget how to do the original lift if I leave it for a while, especially the bench.

Where do you fail? Off the bottom?
    Do you pause?
    About half way up.

I don't do paused reps. Used to do them but didn't feel they helped. Going to try doing a back-off set.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Rather than back off sets, why not do a session a week of higher reps, say try 8+. Once you get 8+ reps or whatever on your first set, (doing say 3 in total) then you increase the weight.
    Worked well on my OHP before I got lazy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I used to try that and it didn't work. I kinda like forget how to do the original lift if I leave it for a while, especially the bench.
    Haha I do agree it does feel a little bit off/weird when you do go back to flat. Perhaps you didn't try it for a long enough period? It does take a bit of time to see any real solid improvements.

As much as I used to flat bench in the past I definitely prefer the incline! Feel it's given me a much more even chest (no homo :lol:)!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Rather than back off sets, why not do a session a week of higher reps, say try 8+. Once you get 8+ reps or whatever on your first set, (doing say 3 in total) then you increase the weight.
    Worked well on my OHP before I got lazy
    I want to keep the progression on the fives. I'll probably also make smaller jumps too. But the back-off is just whatever I can do that day, with whatever weight I feel like, keeping it below failure, whilst hopefully attaining at least 8 reps.

(Original post by a10)
    Haha I do agree it does feel a little bit off/weird when you do go back to flat. Perhaps you didn't try it for a long enough period? It does take a bit of time to see any real solid improvements.

As much as I used to flat bench in the past I definitely prefer the incline! Feel it's given me a much more even chest (no homo :lol:)!
    Never been a fan of the incline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Fair enough! I think I may have to start calling you stubborn Smack! Gotta be open to new approaches sometimes :lol:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Smack)
    I want to keep the progression on the fives. I'll probably also make smaller jumps too. But the back-off is just whatever I can do that day, with whatever weight I feel like, keeping it below failure, whilst hopefully attaining at least 8 reps.

fair enough, I'll be interested to see how you fair.

Can confirm that incline barbell benching sucks massively. Dumbbell less so
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by a10)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Fair enough! I think I may have to start calling you stubborn Smack! Gotta be open to new approaches sometimes :lol:
    Exercise selection is one of the absolute last things I would change. I would look into changing the volume first (hence the addition of the back-off set), maybe adding in some higher intensity work to get my used to handling heavier weights, or even moving bench to its own day so lifts performed before it don't interfere, before I would consider simply substituting a lift.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Decent enough session tonight.

Squats:

130 x 5/5

Light squats, but felt quite heavy.

Press:

65 x 5/5/5
    50 x 5

Got them all. Used an ever so slightly narrower grip too; maybe that helps a little. Back off set done too soon after work sets and no point pushing it too hard.

Deadlifts:

180 x 5

Got them all again, and a bit more pleased with form tonight. Still need to work on head position I think. And again, set my back, pull the slack out of the bar and rock back a bit to ensure weight over mid-foot, then squeeze the bar off the group. This ensures proper back positioning whilst also preventing jerking it off the ground.

Only a little bit of lacrosse ball work throughout the session tonight then home.

ReputationRep:
    For bench press (and something you could do for other lifts), what I do now is when I get to a weight I can clear 3 sets of 5, I stay at the weight for 2-4 sessions before incrementing by 2.5kg. After clearing the weight the first time, the subsequent attempts will help you assess if you are ready to increment. Each session it becomes fractionally easier to complete the reps. So that by the time I do the increment, I will be more likely to clear the weight.

It also helps psychologically too because it reduces the chance of you failing a weight and losing some motivation
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Decent enough session tonight.

Squats:

160 x 5/5/5

Quite hard.

Bench press:

90 x 5/5/4
    80 x 6

A bit frustrated about missing the last rep but got more than last time, and could have been even more ****ed after the squats.

Chins:

bodyweight x 6/5/5

Meh.

Some lacrosse ball work then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Decent session tonight. Mid-back feeling a little bit sore, though.

Squats:

128 x 5/5

De-loaded a tiny bit on the light squats because they were more than 80% of my workset weights, but still felt quite heavy as light squats often do.

Press:

66.5 x 5/5/5

Got them all.

Deadlifts:

185 x 5

A little improvement, except for the last rep. Lats still maybe a bit lazy, but felt a little bit better at squeezing the bar off the ground.

A bit of lacrosse ball work throughout the session, then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good session tonight. Back still feeling tight.

Squats:

162.5 x 5/5/5

Very difficult. Used a slightly narrower bar than I like for squats. For not as good - not sticking hips back quite enough, eye-gaze probably moving a bit too during the set.

Bench press:

90 x 5/5/5

Finally got them all. Generally not too bad either, except the last rep of each set. Need to focus on controlling it a bit better towards the lower part of the descent, though.

Power cleans:

70 x 3
    80 x 3
    90 x 3

Okay.

Some lacrosse ball work throughout the session then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Meh session tonight. Back still tight and think the low back/glute inflammation is returning a bit. Not feeling recovered enough for deadlifts. Was meant to be a quick session tonight.

Squats:

125 x 5/5

Light squats.

Press:

68 x 5/5/4/1

Meh, just missed the last rep...

Tried to do some chins but left forearm not liking it, so did some lacrosse ball work then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good session tonight. Back still the same.

Squats:

165 x 5/5/5

****ing difficult. Maybe going slightly too deep for low bar on some reps.

Bench press:

92 x 4/5/4

Spotter touched bar on 5th rep of first set ever so slightly to stop it hitting the hooks as I set up too close to them. On last set never had a 5th in me, got totally pinned.

Deadlifts:

190 x 5

Very difficult, especially after squats. Form probably a bit worse than last time, not where I want to be going, but after squats I'll take the reps.

Then home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Quick one tonight.

Squats:

127.5 x 5/4

Tore my shorts a bit on the last set and didn't want to do a fifth in case they tore right open.

Press:

68 x 5/5/5

Not bad.

Then home.

ReputationRep:
    That made me laugh, it reminded me of when I tore mine right open and I had to walk out the gym looking like I just **** myself or something! All kindz of glute action :lol:

Ever since then I only wear thermal tights or elastic material gym trousers (like the gymshark ones) that stretch as you bend!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.