Inter-Company
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm currently at LSE and shall be working here for the next 4 weeks on a Masters Project (but I am not a student of the university itself as I attend a institution in the US)

Does anyone know of any good lunchtime (and even dinner on occasions where I may need to study late) near the university itself or Holborn in general?

Prefs:
- No more than £4 (inc. drinks preferably) per day for lunch, as I'm on a budget
- Hot food
- Healthy and meat dishes would be good
- Type of food: not really to fussed about

I tried places like 'Eat' and similar etc but I've had enough of there rubbish sandwiches; their noodles and prawn salad was nice but you can't get it warmed up

Anyways, any help would be much appreciated (+Reps for the efforts)
motorhead
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
usually at the Quad u can get an hot meal for lunch with less than 4£ but I dont think it's enough so u'd end up spending a bit more. I just took some coffee there so I'm not 100% confident of what am saying
zxczxc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hot Gossip (previously known as Nosh) isn't too expensive, either. It's on Kingsway, just past Portugal Street.
Ascient
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There's this nice, cheap place on the end of Waterloo Bridge, that sells good lunchtime stuff like sandwiches and baguettes (which they can warm up & have taste much nicer), pasta, salads etc.

You basically head down the Strand, past KCL (where I study ) and turn left when you get to the Bridge (so by the Tesco Metro) and it's about 50 yards into Waterloo Bridge on the right.

There's also a Gregg's next to King's, which does the job tbf.
pcok
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ascient)
There's this nice, cheap place on the end of Waterloo Bridge, that sells good lunchtime stuff like sandwiches and baguettes (which they can warm up & have taste much nicer), pasta, salads etc.

You basically head down the Strand, past KCL (where I study ) and turn left when you get to the Bridge (so by the Tesco Metro) and it's about 50 yards into Waterloo Bridge on the right.

There's also a Gregg's next to King's, which does the job tbf.
Best advice! :p:

I'm at King's and whenever I need to go to the Strand Campus (on that road), I HAVE to pop into Gregg's!
Ascient
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by pcok)
Best advice! :p:

I'm at King's and whenever I need to go to the Strand Campus (on that road), I HAVE to pop into Gregg's!
Haha yeah I usually go in in the mornings to get a cheap* Hot Chocolate and then sometimes sit next to this girl who has her Starbucks coffee!

*It's only cheap compared to her coffee, otherwise £1.35 is astronomical!! :mad: I have a whole Options tub for that much in my room! :p:
pcok
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Haha yeah I usually go in in the mornings to get a cheap* Hot Chocolate and then sometimes sit next to this girl who has her Starbucks coffee!

*It's only cheap compared to her coffee, otherwise £1.35 is astronomical!! :mad: I have a whole Options tub for that much in my room! :p:
:rofl:

Some of my mates get a Starbucks coffee like everyday, and I'm there thinking I shouldn't really be buying that bottle of coke or whatever, haha.

So what do you study at King's?
Ascient
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by pcok)
:rofl:

Some of my mates get a Starbucks coffee like everyday, and I'm there thinking I shouldn't really be buying that bottle of coke or whatever, haha.

So what do you study at King's?
Haha I've been off the fizzy drinks for a couple of years now :yep: I study English. I know you do Law, which kinda sucks 'cos I have no obvious rebound question :p:

Oh, you're at Waterloo right?! That's right opposite my accommodation Two of my flatmates also do Law!

Oh yeah, aren't I just a great conversation filler? :jiggy: :p:
pcok
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Haha I've been off the fizzy drinks for a couple of years now :yep: I study English. I know you do Law, which kinda sucks 'cos I have no obvious rebound question :p:

Oh, you're at Waterloo right?! That's right opposite my accommodation Two of my flatmates also do Law!

Oh yeah, aren't I just a great conversation filler? :jiggy: :p:
Hahaha!

So are you a first year too then?

Ahh I know a few people from SSA. What are you lawyer flatmates' names?
Sports Racer
Report 11 years ago
I've become a fan of the Fourth Floor in the Old Building.

For a plate of curry + soft drinks can = £4.15

They give a generous amount, too.

As someone else said: Hot Gossip. For a jacket potato with 2 fillings and soft drinks can = £3.85ish.
zxczxc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd avoid the Fourth Floor Restaurant (formerly known as the Brunch Bowl), if I were you. For the price, it's ****. For a quid more you can go to the Garrick, which is actually nice (and where the menu actually changes to something other than a different spicy meat sauce with rice).
Pspri
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oo urm well there's this little cafe near portugal street.... i am not sure what its called--- most students use it....its good...i get flapajacks and coffee from there
haha
Inter-Company
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
guys do you need an LSE card to go into the lunch area of the quad or indeed 4th floor restaurant in the old building?

I only have a card which gives access to the library as thats all I requested
acore
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You can go even if you arent a student, i mean no one checks anyway, there arent any key card doors
mypaperheart
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think you need a card to get into the Garrick (I might be wrong, I can never seem to get in there even with a card) but definitely not the Old Building which is where the 4th floor restaurant is.
dpure
Report 11 years ago
cafe amici on kingsway is actually quite nice (and next to EAT, i think). also, if you're willing to venture into covent garden, the jacket potato stall is not bad either, and REALLY cheap. and althought nando's is about 6 quid for a meal, it's really filling (1/4 chicken and two sides) so it can be a nice "splurge" meal every once in a while. finally, have you tried hummus bros.? not the best hummous in london, but very healthy, fresh, and reasonably priced. (look out for student specials, in particular.) hope that helps!
RJA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
1pm, in Houghton Street, you will see a big queue, every day.

Enough said.
Nadinus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mypaperheart)
I think you need a card to get into the Garrick (I might be wrong, I can never seem to get in there even with a card) but definitely not the Old Building which is where the 4th floor restaurant is.
eh? no you don't need one. unless there's some downstairs that I haven't noticed.

4th floor restaurant is not amazing but it's reasonable and pretty good value imo - £2.20 breakfast isn't bad...don't think I've ever had a lunch meal there though.
motorhead
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dpure)
cafe amici on kingsway is actually quite nice
u cannot be serious...

(Original post by mypaperheart)
I think you need a card to get into the Garrick
nope

(Original post by zxczxc)
I'd avoid the Fourth Floor Restaurant (formerly known as the Brunch Bowl), if I were you. For the price, it's ****.
just cuz of the price or u mean also for bad food?
SevenDeuceOff
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Subway, Hot Gossip, Wasabi, etc. Don't go to the 4th floor food place, it's horrific. As I'm sure you know, there's also plenty of places down towards Fleet Street...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (364)
59.09%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.36%
No- I want it (174)
28.25%
No- I don't want it (45)
7.31%

Watched Threads