The Student Room Group

Should I do DofE Award?

Our school charges £360 for doing the Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Award, but my family can’t really afford it. It’s either rent or this. I know my dad would do something and find the money, even if he had to sacrifice rent money, but I really don’t want to put that burden on him. There’s also the equipment you have to buy for the DofE camping trip which would cost a lot too.

I was wondering if doing DofE hurts my chances of getting into Oxbridge or Ivy Leagues? I am a very determined student - I’ve got GCSEs the next academic year (I just started Year 10) and I know I’ll do good on them (I’m aiming for all 9s but might get a few 8s). What am I missing out on if I don’t do DofE? Does not doing it hurt my future at all?
Honestly, DofE was a fun experience - it felt like absolute hell sometimes, walking for hours through freezing rain and knee deep mud, or over hills in blazing sunshine without any water or shade in sight - but doing it with friends was fun, and it's something I do look back on fondly. But it's not the only opportunity you'll have to create memories, or achieve something with your friends - and besides, you could always skip Bronze and go straight to Silver (it does take a little longer, but it's an option you could consider, maybe when your finances are more secure) next year or anytime in the future, really.

So no, it probably wouldn't hurt your chances - in the grand scheme of things, it'll probably mean very little, compared to GCSE and A-Level grades, your personal statement, extra reading/work experience, and interview performance. I did up to Silver, and ended up only mentioning it in passing in a single sentence on my personal statement. If finances are an issue for you, it's definitely not worth sacrificing rent - especially in this economy right now.
Reply 2
i personally wouldn’t recommend dofe to anyone as i found it a dreadful experience with very little merit in terms of applications (like Ucas and job applications) which is not what people tell you. i fairly enjoyed my practice thinking i’d hate it as i’ve always hated ye idea of camping but the actual exposition took place the day after a storm so the weather was dreadful, the maps we were given were out of date so half our route didn’t exist and i had a panic attack walking on a big road between fields near the end of the expedition.

On my ucas application last year and this year my bronze dofe hasn’t been mentioned once as the only place to mention and talk about it is in your personal statement but as a medicine applicant i’ve always had other things to write about. if being adventurous/outdoorsy and or sensible and good at adapting to unfamiliar situations (like thinking of how to change your route or put up a tent) are things that would be relevant to the experience you need for a course then maybe you’d kiss out but i personally don’t know anyone if the 80 something people in my year that did dofe wrote about it in their personal statements, so i don’t think you’d be missing out by not doing it.

(although if you really want to have the experience and think it will be fun check the official dofe sight as i think there may be bursaries available but i’m really not too sure about that)
In the UK, bronze doesnt count to any UCAS points so unless you want to do silver and gold and really pursue it, it wont help getting in. If you love nature it is great as well as you get lots of friendships and bonding opportunities with other students. So, I'm doing bronze but that is mostly because in my school it gets lots of praise and the sixth form I want to go to, you have to do it which is really weird but yh.
Reply 4
Original post by nxm
Our school charges £360 for doing the Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Award, but my family can’t really afford it. It’s either rent or this. I know my dad would do something and find the money, even if he had to sacrifice rent money, but I really don’t want to put that burden on him. There’s also the equipment you have to buy for the DofE camping trip which would cost a lot too.

I was wondering if doing DofE hurts my chances of getting into Oxbridge or Ivy Leagues? I am a very determined student - I’ve got GCSEs the next academic year (I just started Year 10) and I know I’ll do good on them (I’m aiming for all 9s but might get a few 8s). What am I missing out on if I don’t do DofE? Does not doing it hurt my future at all?

Depends on your course but if you are able to perform well academically in year 12 and have good predicted grades, missing DofE shouldn't be a problem, however do seek to attend other sorts of activities that would be suitable for your Personal Statement.
Plus as far as I am aware, when you apply to a top tier uni, whilst having a gold DofE might make a difference, bronze most certainly will not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending