Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking of getting a katana for display but im confused about the steels some of them are carbon steel and some are stainless which one is better for swords

ReputationRep:
    You intend on using it?

ReputationRep:
    Display swords are worthless, and usually historically inaccurate. Stainless steel cannot hold an edge very well at all, high carbon steel does but if it's a display item it'd be very poor grade.

ReputationRep:
    Stainless is better for shininess, carbon for an edge. Since I don't think you intend to use it (I hope not), stainless would be your option.

ReputationRep:
    they SHOULD be made from tamahagane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    Display swords are worthless, and usually historically inaccurate. Stainless steel cannot hold an edge very well at all, high carbon steel does but if it's a display item it'd be very poor grade.
    All true.

ReputationRep:
    For katanas and other curved swords you might need a licence (if not at the moment you will soon (in England anyway))
    If the sword is for show stainless steel would be better because it doesn't rust, but if you're planning on battle re-enaction and things like that get carbon steel because it's harder.

ReputationRep:
    In addition to this, 'swords with a curved blade of 50 centimetres or over in length (and for the purposes of this sub-paragraph, the length of the blade shall be the straight line distance from the top of the handle to the tip of the blade)' are subject to the offensive weapons order, meaning many are illegal for you to buy.

ReputationRep:
    even doe im not planning to use it i want it to be good so would say carbon steel is better then?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.